OH MY!!! 3 Interview UPDATE

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 2, 2010

    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I never thought I would be in this position :D

    First, I want to say to those who are still looking it can happen.

    Even in Southern California!!!!!!!!!!

    I need Advice NOW :help:

    School Interview #1:

    37 miles away. In southern california is about a 75 minute car ride on a good day.

    It is in a rough area. It is a full time position.

    Travel time would easily be round trip 2 to 4 hours a day on the Southern California freeway.

    :woot::woot::woot:

    They called me today and OFFERED me a job pending reference checks!!!

    School Interview #2:

    Is 15 miles away. It is in a hospital for profound students.

    This is the job I want. . .
    It is only a 40% position. I could make it money wise. It is a foot in the door.

    I could most likely transfer to a full time position next year.

    Not a commute. I would be home for my son.

    I interviewed with them on Friday.

    I heard back from one of my references. They are checking my references. They are really INTERESTED in me.
    :angel:

    They have a problem keeping someone in this position because it is 40% position. . .

    40% position would be awesome and give me a chance to get more experience while helping my son.

    Do I call this district??? send a follow up letter.

    :unsure::unsure::eek:hmy:

    I have to call thursday to set up my finger prints for school 1.

    Can I drag it out and give school 2 a few more days. . .

    In this economy and especially in the grand ole state of california I don't want to turn down a job. . .

    I just need to get school number 2 response!!!!

    Any advice???

    Are you confused? I am!!!

    Thank you for all the thoughts and so on.

    :thanks:
    :wow:

    Stephanie
     
  2.  
  3. lnm130

    lnm130 Companion

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    Messages:
    193
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 2, 2010

    I don't have any advice, but congrats! What a wonderful situation to be in! I'm hoping for a situation much like yours this year!
     
  4. MATgrad

    MATgrad Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Messages:
    1,437
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 2, 2010

    That is a tough one! Could you contact school 2 and ask where they are in the decision process? It does sound as though the 40% would be better for you and your family. 150 miles a day in a car is no fun.
     
  5. teacherfan

    teacherfan Cohort

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2003
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 2, 2010

    OMG! So happy for you! I, too, am in California, so traffic is a major concern to think about. Having said that, I would probably take the job offer and make the best of the situation. The school year is more than half over.
     
  6. Special-t

    Special-t Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Messages:
    2,019
    Likes Received:
    19

    Feb 2, 2010

    I live in the LA area. Congratulations on the job offer, but I'm going to be a cynic about school #1.

    That commute will take the joy out of the job. You have a son at home and could end up missing many precious hours every day. The school is in a rough area. How secure is the parking? How stable is your car? I drive a clunker so I have to worry about how many miles I'm putting on my car and where my car might break down. If these are issues, imagine breaking down a few miles from work. What is that area like? I actually decided on my credential program because the area and the commute are safer if my car breaks down. Your safety is a crucial factor because you have a child who needs you.

    Yes, if I were you, I'd call the school near you and ask how your reference checks are going because you're excited about the possibility of working with them.

    Call to make your fingerprint appointment at the end of the day Thursday and take the first available appointment next week. That will buy you some time.
     
  7. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    Messages:
    29,807
    Likes Received:
    1,171

    Feb 2, 2010

    Frankly, I'd tell school #2 about the job offer from school #1 - knowing that some other school is that interested in you could get school #2 off the dime, you know?

    To be precise, I'd mention that another school has tendered an offer, which you'd need to take if school #2 can't do likewise.
     
  8. futureteach21

    futureteach21 Habitué

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    Messages:
    821
    Likes Received:
    1

    Feb 2, 2010

    I would take the second one. It just seems like a good place to start and you wouldn't be driving 370 miles a week. That is, IMO, way too much.
     
  9. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    Messages:
    29,807
    Likes Received:
    1,171

    Feb 2, 2010

    Trouble is, the second one hasn't tendered an offer yet. That's why I suggested leaning on school #2 a bit.
     
  10. springmac

    springmac Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    Messages:
    201
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 3, 2010

    How soon do you need to let school #1 know your decision? I agree with TeacherGroupie...call school #2 and let them know about the offer.
     
  11. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 3, 2010

    As usual, I agree with TG :)
     
  12. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 3, 2010

    I forgot to send a thank you letter. I went out of town that day and got stuck! Should I still send a follow up letter to school #2?

    The interview was friday so it has been three days????

    If so email or snail mail???

    THANKS!!

    Stephanie
     
  13. nattyj21

    nattyj21 Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 3, 2010

    I like the idea of calling District #2 and asking where they are in the decision making process. Explain to them that you have been offered a position at another school, BUT #2 is where you really want to be. If nothing else they might be able to give you a more specific time frame in order to stall District #1 until you get the answer from #2.

    I would think email thank you would be ok. Especially if you are in contact with them by phone. They would have an email thank you and another reminder why they should hire you!
     
  14. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Feb 3, 2010

    Congrats on your position! I'd send an email and a snail mail thank you. I'd also call school #2 and tell them about the job offer from #1...they might make their process go quicker if they really want you. Good luck! Keep us updated!
     
  15. guest_teacher

    guest_teacher Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 3, 2010

    Please let us know how this turns out.

    I think TeacherGroupie's approach is best.

    It may be a silly idea, but in my city, different LiveScan fingerprinting centers have different wait times and processing times. One sees clients only one day a week. (I know because I picked the fastest!) If you had to proceed with School Number 1 -- short of signing a contract (which would be unethical and could have repercussions) -- could you pick an overbooked and slow LiveScan center?
     
  16. Kangaroo22

    Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Messages:
    6,216
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 3, 2010

    Congratulations! How exciting for you!
     
  17. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 4, 2010

    Okay, I heard from my professor she talked to number 2 last night and is very excited about this opportunity. She said it looks good for me. They are very interested.

    As a long as I back out of number one before signing the contract I should be okay?????

    Now that they have checked my references hopefully I will hear from them.

    In a busy big southern california district who do I call to see where they are in the hiring decision?

    Do I just call HR or the person I interviewed with? I did email a thank you letter. I thought I would follow up on Friday with #2.

    Thank you for all your advice. If you all lived near me I would treat you all to frozen yogurt when I get a first pay check!

    Stephanie
     
  18. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 4, 2010

    Luck is on my side! The live scan center the district uses the machine is broken! So it is naturally be postponed.
     
  19. nattyj21

    nattyj21 Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 4, 2010

    Hopefully this means #2 is meant for you!!! Good Luck!!
     
  20. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    Messages:
    29,807
    Likes Received:
    1,171

    Feb 4, 2010

    Until your signature is drying on that contact paper, no, you're not legally bound to District #1 - and, in fact, the more promptly you can let them know you're going elsewhere, the happier they'll be because they can contact the next choice in their queue that much sooner.

    (chuckling)

    I might be near enough take you up on that frozen yogurt, on behalf of A to Z'ers far and wide...
     
  21. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Feb 4, 2010

    Fingers crossed for you!

    :lol: tg!
     
  22. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 4, 2010

    I know they talked to two of my references now!
    I do not know what to do!
    Here I wait. Hopefully, I will hear something in the next day or two.
     
  23. beatlebug731

    beatlebug731 Comrade

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 4, 2010

    Ooooo this is so exciting!!!! I hope you get job 2!!:D
     
  24. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Feb 6, 2010

    Hope things work out the way that you want! Wishing you all the best!
     
  25. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Feb 6, 2010

    Have you heard anything yet? I'm so excited for you!
     
  26. Special-t

    Special-t Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Messages:
    2,019
    Likes Received:
    19

    Feb 6, 2010


    Too funny! Glad you got a break.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 236 (members: 2, guests: 208, robots: 26)
test