Oh man...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emb382, Jun 17, 2012.

1. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

I posted about 2 weeks ago that I accepted a position at a school an hour from my house. I accepted the position because it is my first teaching job, and I was afraid I would not get anymore offers. Plus, part of me wanted the stress of job hunting to be over. I also am willing to relocate eventually, so the distance isn't much of a problem (other than buying a new car). So, this is how I got hooked up with this job:

-I met the director of sped at a job fair. I find out that she got me 3 interviews in this school district. The first interview was my first interview ever, a long drive away, and could have gone better. I didn't get the job, which was okay.
    -My second interview with the county was for the job they offered me. I didn't go to the third interview.

I had an interview for current job and dream job on the same day. I came super close to getting dream job, but I found out I did not the day before I signed this contract. So, when I was given the opportunity to sign a contract for a division that has been good to me, I jumped.

So, my interview calls have been quiet ever since signing, so I was feeling great about my decision. Then...I have gotten 3 calls since Thursday. All for jobs either closer to home/more in my comfort zone.

So...at this point, I am wondering if I made the right decision. I do feel like this school division has been good to me, and the job would certainly qualify me for ANY future job. I just listened to a voicemail from a P 15 mins from my house saying that she got in touch with a CT (similar program to this job) and she said that she knows I may have already accepted a job offer in ---- county, but please call her back. Ahhh. What are your thoughts?? Sorry this is long.

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 17, 2012

I think you did the right thing, especially since it sounds like the job you accepted is a good one. I would still call back the other P and explain that you signed a contract. It will never hurt down the line to have networked!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

You did the right thing.
    Return messages, but then ...
    Put those other jobs out of your mind and start preparing for YOUR job! It is an exciting time for you! Enjoy it!

5. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I am going to try to delete all the jobs I have previously applied to.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

Definitely call the P back. Let him know you accepted a contract and thank him for the offer. Networking is always a good thing because you never know what the future holds.

7. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

I definitely will call back. I have called the other 2 back, and they seemed to appreciate the gesture.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

This is my fear. I have 2 interviews coming up (one Monday and one a week from Monday). One is 65 miles and one is 85 miles. According to Mapquest, it is also 65 minutes and 85 minutes. I can definitely do the hour, but the hour and a half makes me nervous. I am also afraid I will be offered one of these jobs and then get called for interviews closer. One district about 25 minutes away just posted jobs on Friday. I emailed all three principals, HR, and the Assistant Superintendent. I am hoping to line up an interview with them as well.

Note- the positions I have interviews with are in a much more rural area. Applicants run from 500-1000 for positions there. The district 25 miles away will be in the 1000-2000 applicant range. So I know my chances are better in the rural districts.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

Several years ago I accepted a job that I wasn't thrilled about for several reasons. A couple of weeks later I got calls, job offers actually for other positions. One of them was closer to home. I did some quick soul searching. I had accepted the job, signed a contract, I wasn't backing out.

I was head-hunted this winter. One of the reasons I turned down the interview is because they wanted me to start right away.

10. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

This definitely is an exciting job, and I am going to stick with my contract as well. How did the job work out for you?

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

This is my 3rd year there! I love it.