"Oh I thought teachers were needed" etc etc!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TennisPlayer, Apr 20, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

Anyone else have family and/or friends that continually ask you this and make you feel even more guilty for not having a teaching job, like something must be wrong with you?!

I achieved a lot when I was a student but now it's been a few years that I've been doing the whole "apply and wait" game! I've been to a few teaching job fairs and they didn't do anything more than hand me the paperwork I already had.

*end vent*

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2009

They used to, but now they know better.

4. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

Ugh... I'm waiting for this. I've been staying at home with children and just started telling people I am looking for a job. So far the reactions lean mostly towards "Why?" which is almost as frustrating a question to field!

Good luck to us all!
    Melissa

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2009

Oh my goodness. This is so my situation with my family. They don't understand whatsoever how the hiring season works for education and the struggles involved. They all think I should have a job by now for the fall!

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

It annoys me when I hear radio commercials advertising the teaching programs in the local colleges. We're so saturated right now that I can't even get on the sub list for SPECIAL ED. Elementary classrooms and those were always the hard to find someone to take on job! Whoever heard of a full sub list? My goodness!

I feel for everyone who spent a lot of money and time in college and it's been a long wait to get the job you want.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2009

"Haven't you been reading the papers???? Schools EVERYWHERE are laying off teachers right and left!!! Like every other sector, education has been hit by the economy."

Make them feel like the ones who should know better, not you!!!

8. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

i still live at home - i just graduated - waiting until i find that full time teaching job to move out

my mother seems to believe i'm not trying hard enough to find a job. (whereas she is COMPLETELY WRONG) she doesn't comprehend that it is nearly impossible to find a teaching job in PA. She seems to believe that if she was in my EXACT shoes, she would have found a job already. I WAS SO FURIOUS! do parents make you feel horrible on purpose? It's easy to say...oh as long as you know how things really are, that's all that matters - but GROWL - i cannot handle it.

then there's the rest of my family. they are absolutely sure i will find a job...infact...they try to convince me to turn down interviews that are more than 2 hours away. i don't know what their issue is, but there are not many teaching jobs around here. might i add that i'm an ART teacher....yeah....thousand times harder to find a job.

i understand this is MY life lol...but they make me feel like such a child. I NEED a full time job to maintain my sanity and get out of this house! subbing won't cut it!

PS - GROWL!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

Most people around here know that getting a teaching job has been hard for years, so I haven't really gotten those comments. Everyone seems to know someone with unused teaching credentials in this area, so thankfully I've been spared those comments.

10. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 20, 2009

Yes, I've gotten this a couple times from friends and family. I'm sure it's all in my mind, but then I feel like they're wondering what kind of horrible person I am that I can't even get a job in a field that is supposedly desperate for people.

11. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

Well people don't realize that education has been hit. You can thank the newscasts and articles that tell people that education is still the field to go into.

And yes I am tired to saying, "I am an unemployed teacher, currently subbing." I heard job postings are supposed to start this week according to the principal at the school I was subbing at today. I will be checking the website probably twice a day and calling every school with an opening.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

They used to say this to me but then layoffs and hiring freezes started happening.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 22, 2009

I like Alice's response the best :D

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2009

I got that from family... "If you want a job teaching, GO GET ONE."

Right. My answer: "You're right! I'm lazy! Why fill out all of these applications? I'll just walk into the P's office and DEMAND they give me a job. I will be so incredibly terrifying with my insistence, will power, and Jedi mind tricks that they will be left with no choice but to CREATE A NONEXISTENT POSITION just for me, find nonexistent funds to pay me... and since I'm obviously the best and most qualified person for the nonexistent position, they will give me the best, brightest, and most well-behaved students. It'll be the best job EVER because the P will be terrified of me and wait... hey! What's with the straight-jacket!?"

They have left me alone after that rant.