Oh goodness..what did I get myself in to?! LOL

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by FutureFLTeacher, Aug 7, 2007.

1. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 7, 2007

What did I get myself in to?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    O.k...up until today I was fairly optimistic of my first year teaching. After visiting my classroom and the school, it all sunk in and now I'm beginning to wonder what the heck I got myself into. (I'm pretty sure this is all just nerves, but geesh...LOL)

I was sitting at my desk today thinking how in the world am I going to get through this year? I've never taught...what the heck was I doing thinking that I could teach 6th grade science? I haven't the slightest clue what to do, how to do it or when to do it!

I'm in a portable, it's a nice one, albeit a bit hot. The downside is I'm at least a good three minute walk from the closest bathroom...yeah, with my teenie weenie bladder syndrome, that's gonna be a challenge! And from what I can tell, we have to share bathrooms with the students...there is a lack of restrooms at our school, big time. To try and go to the teachers lounge and the restrooms near there, heck it'd take me a good five minutes to get there and back...no where near enough time in between classes for that trip.

Up until today I wasn't remotely nervous or stressed out about this at all...needless to say right now, I could use a stiff drink. I have no clue what I'm doing here, my classroom is hot as hades, the bathrooms are a days hike away...LOL...and I haven't even dealt with the students yet!

Are any other first year teachers out there feelng this same way? To you veteran teachers, is this normal?

For a split second today I was wondering how I could get out of this...I am officially freaked out. This is a career change for me after many, many years of HR/business management.

Anyone with any words of wisdom, encouragement, whatever...now would be a great time for me to hear them!!! LOL

*runs off for that stiff drink....LOL*

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

You will be surprised how much your business skills will come in handy--WE ALL RUN AN OFFICE! Do the same thing you would for the business-organize your time, set mini goals and long term goals, set procedures for everything, BASE IT ON THE CURRICULUM AND STANDARDS and it should run smoothly. However, kids are kids, you HAVE to enjoy them for their old unpredictable selves. Go with the flow and you will do fine! We have all been there!

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

I'm a first year teacher and I've felt the same way! I was really excited at first, and then I got to see my room and it's trashed. I've spent about 6-7 hours just organizing stuff so far, like checking to see if all the books are there, and getting the reading stuff together and the math together. I can't even put anything away because the cabinents aren't done! They're all torn up right now waiting for the new counter tops. And I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday so I'm scared I wont feel up to doing anything next week! Don't worry, you're definitely not alone!

5. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Well HR and working with kids is not much different. I ran from HR too into the hands of teenagers! It seemed so crazy at the time and I didn't think I was going to make it, but going into my 2nd year things are much better.

You have a great sense of humor which you will need. You will find the quickest path to the bathroom and you will find that your bladder are really stronger than you think. I have had times when I just called a liason into the classroom so that I could go. LOL Good times!

Hey, a stiff drink isn't at all a bad idea right now if you read my other post about the not having the desks....now that's crazy!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

:D Just be sure there is a bathroom nearby before you start that! :D
    Relax--it will be okay!

7. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

8. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

You will be fine.. It's just your nerves taking over. I'm sure once your students get in everything will be like second nature to you, and you will do great. I agree with the others, you will see how much your business/HR skills come into play in the classroom. You probably don't see it now, but you will eventually. Good luck, and have some faith in yourself!

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

Oh yeah-most districts have curriculum maps that kind of let you know what you should be doing and when. If not, REACH OUT! Ask the principal what teachers you could contact that would probably have one already done. TEACHERS LOVE TO SHARE IDEAS!

10. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Hey, I can totally relate with you! When I first accepted the position, I was excited and confident. Now that I've been working in my classroom (which is quite small and I'll be teaching a 1st/2nd combo class) I've started getting hot flashes, cold sweats and my palms are pretty much constantly sweating! LOL! I've been pouring over all of my teacher's manuals and district standards, and there are times when I think, "What the heck am I doing?" and more often, I've been daydreaming about my blender and the margarita I long for! I'm sure we will be fine and these feeling are somewhat like a groom's cold feet on his wedding day! I'll be thinking of you and hoping you cope at least as well as I do (which may not me saying much!;))

11. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I'm having the same fears. This will be my first time teaching, too, having come from a journalism background. But I keep reminding myself: Starting a new job is always scary. However, I've done it before, and it always worked out. I bet the same is true for you. I know when I first started working as a reporter I though I was completely incompetent. But when I look back on the early work I did in that job, I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought I was just keeping my head above water, but I was producing good work. Again, I bet you were, too.
    Maybe thinking that way will help you feel better. It made me feel better just typing it out. :)