. . . . oh, for some retroactive b.c.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Mamacita, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2005

Yeah, for that dad's parents!

We were in a restaurant one time when this family came in, and they looked hot and tired as though they had been traveling.
    The kids were fitful and unsettled and the parents looked beat. The kids bossed the mom, told her to shut up, and someone at that table got slapped across the face.
    The dad sat there , a lot like the dad in the video. The screaming kid reminded me of this family.

4. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Apr 17, 2005

heheee

My boy tried that yesterday.. we took a trip to the bathroom...
    He was much better when we came out.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2005

Oh, we do that, too!!

6. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Apr 17, 2005

I remember the threat of a bathroom conference from my mom being enough. :)

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 17, 2005

When I am was about 4 we went out to dinner w/ the family. I was acting up and was horrible. My mom said do it again we were going home. Well I did it again and she picked me and went home and left everyone at dinner. I cried and cried all the way home and promised my mom I would be good well after I calmed down we went back and my mom said I was good in public ever since...

I am in mid 20's and I still get the look from my mother that scares me!

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2005

AMK, I turned 40 last Friday and my mom's tone of voice can still make me uncomfortable!

9. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Apr 17, 2005

my mom and dad... both can turn me back into a little kid...
    I think that's how it's SUPPOSED to work though
    (I'm 28)

10. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Apr 18, 2005

All my dad has to do is clear his throat. Still makes my bros & I sit up straight. Once he did it at our Sunday meeting & we all looked at each other like "who was acting up?" (dad was behind us) Mom told us later she had to bite her tonguee cuz she saw us all sit up. Turns out he actually had to clear his throat!

11. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Apr 18, 2005

We have had many a bathroom meeting ourselves. In fact we had one Saturday at lunch... Over a beef quesadilla of all things.

I'm 30 and my mom can get me over e-mail, the phone, and in person. She evidently has the ultimate Mom voice. She stopped a gang fight at her school by raising her voice, and saying "Come with me boys" She is a petite 5 foot woman with an East coast accent and a voice to stop traffic. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. At that moment I knew I wanted that voice!

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 18, 2005

My mom is the sweetest person and everyone loves her. She is petite and soft spoken but when you hear her say your full name and get the look you know she means business. She can also make me feel so gulitly (sp?) unlike any other person.
    I see my student's run their parents lives and dictate to them which kills me b/c my mother would never allow it and still doesn't. I find myself saying things to my students that my mom used on us.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2005

Oh we never would have acted like that! All it took was Mama touching her shoe (She wore these UGLY off-white/gray sandals with really hard soles.) We knew that was the sign that we were in trouble. Of course, now that I think about it, neither of us were ever whipped with those shoes...the sneak!
    When I worked at Mervyn's there was an African American grandmother who was raising 6 of her grandkids (from 2 different daughters). They ranged from 3 to 16. She never had a lick of trouble out of them. Every time you saw her though, you couldn't help but notice the wooden spoon sticking out of her purse. :D They knew better!
    I was with my niece at WalMart today buying stuff for our fishing lesson tomorrow. I embarassed her to no end...a little girl was pouting with her mom (I don't know what over.) Her mother said something to her and she answered "Yeah." She looked to be about 7. I never even thought about it. I turned and said "Yes, Ma'am!" The little girl looked at me for a second and them mumbled "Yes, ma'am." The mother thanked me. My niece looked ready to fall through the floor (she is 15, everything is shameful to her!)

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2005

Ahhh yes..... bringing out the whole name. Sometimes just the first and middle names..... sometimes you gotta go whole hog with all three!!
    My poor little Jeannie will actually cover her butt when I come toward her saying sternly 'JEANNE MARIE!!'

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 18, 2005

I bet we've all accidentally (or on purpose!) used our "teacher voice" outside of school, in restaurants, etc. I've been tempted to use it on adults, on occasion.

Nothing ruins an evening out like an unruly kid in a restaurant. Bah.

16. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Apr 18, 2005

I HAVE used it on adults!
    I ran into one who kept threatening their child (you know the whole if you don't stop I'm gonna... and never carryign through) and I finally just said
    Please do it. If you're going to say something, please just do it.

Boy did I embarass myself, but then she needed to hear it i suppose

17. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 19, 2005

Sounds like we all grew up with the same parents! :D Instead of the bathroom conference, when my son was little and would act a fool out in public I used to get my hardest hard look and lean down about half and inch from his ear and whisper through clenched teeth...Make another sound and you and I are going out to the truck. You really won't like what happens after that. For some reason, I never had to drag him out to the truck. I guess it's all in the presentation :D