Oh crap...the cat's outta the bag

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 14, 2014

So i received the following email from my P:

Hi Em,
    I received notification that you have put in for an voluntary transfer. What's going on? Has something happened?

My face::eek:

My thoughts:

1. How did she know? I put in for a voluntary transfer last year (i waited until the last minute and only got interview at a crummy school so i didnt transfer) and if she knew she never said a word.

2. I can't tell her that yes "somethings happened" because the truth is really harsh and if my transfer doesn't go through, it would lead to a hostile work environment between us. (I don't like how she runs the school and the longer I work there the more unbearable it had become. Plus the neighborhood is rough, the school is very old and has mold, worksheets are not allowed, art and anything not in the curriculum is discouraged(i got in trouble for reading a story about st. Patrick's day and having the kids do an art project where they made rainbow jars during reading last March) and i feel like unless you are one of her favorites, she downplays or ignores accomplishments, but doesn't mind berating/browbeating you for a mistake.

For instance our team leader was published in a national education magazine, but it was never mentioned at the staff meeting even though the team leader emailed our P and printed out a copy of the article.

Then one of the P's favorites was nominated for teacher of the month, then won and the P made a HUGE deal of it. She blew up the announcement from the county website to poster size and hung them all over our building for months.

3. I feel guilty, but shouldn't because I don't have the type of close relationship with my P that some of you talk about. She is cordial, but not approachable like our VP. she mainly stays in her office and does administrative stuff while the VP makes rounds, visits classrooms, facilitates parent teacher conferences and deals with us teachers and student disciplinary issues.

I have no idea what to tell her. Again, can't say the truth because if i don't find another position (like last year) the truth would create a hostile work environment. She gets VERY defensive and can be confrontational. I've heard of other teachers trying to leave in the past and she found out and tormented them their last months because she takes it personal.

:help:

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

Can you just tell her the things that don't directly relate to her? Like the old school, mold, rough neighborhood... and maybe about the prohibition of art.

4. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 14, 2014

Sorry to hear she found out this early. I would be vague and say that I am just ready for a change. That could mean a lot of things. I have left places where the principal was a main reason why but I would get nothing from telling her that, however satisfying that may have been.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

In my district we are strongly encouraged to notify our principals of our intent to put in for voluntary transfers for this very reason. Our principals can't officially block our transfers or anything, but it's certainly better for everyone if everything is on the table and our principals aren't blindsided. This is probably a good lesson for next time.

I would keep my reasons for wanting to transfer as vague and innocuous as possible.

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

Sounds familiar, Em.
    Do you have a strong union?
    You might need it....

Steve

7. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 15, 2014

I would use the mold excuse. Just say your allergies are getting worse, and you don't want it to cause attendance issues because you feel it is critical for you to be there feeling 100% every single day. I would also add you had every intention of talking to her about it, but things have just been so busy it slipped your mind.

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

Isn't it sad that we can't just be honest and talk these things through with our bosses?:(

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

Other than mold what do you see in the quoted passage as a union issue?

This.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

Thanks guys. These are good suggestions. I can't mention the mold because she always claims we don't have it (even though i can see the spores) and even though our school is super old and in a bad eighborhood she acts like we're this pristine, sparkling academy (though curiously she does NOT live in the neighborhood she claims is so wonderful).

I think telling her I need a change is the best route. Also telling her that it slipped my mind so she doesn't think I was trying to sneak out under the radar.

Also it is VERY sad that we can't be honest, but based on what i've seen from past transfers, people who are upfront often get burned.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 15, 2014

In any job or profession, if you don't want to burn bridges or cause problems for yourself if the plan to leave fails, you don't tell the real reason. It isn't confined to working in a school.

Lots of reasons that aren't school related can work. I'm hoping to be able to move (if this is a remote possibility) and will want a different commute if you do (depending on the size of your town). Looking for a change. Looking for different experience because different schools stretch your skills in different ways. Gosh I'm sorry to have to leave, but none of these things would be something you could do something about. It isn't that I want to leave the school, but I want some different experiences. To do that I will need to move to a different school.

12. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

This:
    "She gets VERY defensive and can be confrontational. I've heard of other teachers trying to leave in the past and she found out and tormented them their last months because she takes it personal."

I will be adding a new post entitled "Bathroom Policy and Union Protection" which will explain the connection.

Steve

*I promise not to mention anything about _ _ or D _ _ _ _ _ _ _

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 15, 2014

In all the districts I have worked in, principals get a copy of the transfer list every time it is updated. It is strongly encouraged to tell your P you are requesting a transfer before you put in for it so they aren't surprised when they get the list.

I agree with others to just tell her you feel like you need a change.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

thanks for the advice everyone. I shot her an email. Here's hoping I don't end up on the S - List. :unsure:

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

I hope that it all works out for you.

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 16, 2014

Thank you. So far I haven't heard anything back, so we shall see. :)