OH BOY!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Mommyserenity, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

Just got back from working in my room to get a few last things ready for tomorrow since I got a new student added Friday afternoon. And oh boy...my A/C unit has gone out! :eek: It was almost 98 degrees in the room by the time I left. Tomorrow's heat index is expected to be 105-110 and I'm in a modular. The principal was on his way to try to figure out what the problem was and see if can be fixed before school begins in the morning. If not, he has warned me I may have to move to an alternate space tomorrow for class...where that will be we don't know though since all classroom space is being used now. WHHHEEEWWW...welcome back to school!

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

I hope that get fixed.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

When they say teachers need to be flexible, they mean it.

5. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

Good luck! I have been in your shoes several times. I recommend packing all your supplies in a rolling cart or on an easel stand to be prepared for tomorrow.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

What fun!! Last year I was moved to a portable and the air broke soon after school started. (We're talking Florida in August!) Right about that time the admin decided to move another ESE teacher in my room with her class. For two months we had 50 children in the portable with no air. Right about the time (Nov) that they found another room for the other teacher, they finally replaced the air unit. It was quite an experience!!

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

The P called and the cold air is flowing again! :) I am thrilled since I was going to have to pack up and try to have the first day of school in the chapel tomorrow.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

thats good news!

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

I don't do well with heat, I'm a big baby... you are talking about true heat, but when it gets to 85 degrees in my room, I'm out of there!

I try to keep a set of clipboards handy, and I am willing to move to avoid the heat whenever. Each kid grabs a clipboard, a few kids grab a supply bucket, and I grab a few activities... and we are gone! Sometimes we go to the little room across the hall (their AC is always working no matter what), the hallway because it's on a different unit than my room, the library, down to another wing, or sometimes outside. I cannot handle a hot room with kids, I'd rather be anywhere else!