Oh boy, Boys!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by eyeteach, Feb 3, 2010.

1. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

I have been teaching for about 10 years. A few years ago, I had to fill in for a teacher for two months for a class of 10 boys and no girls. Ever since then, I do not care too much for a classroom full of boys. I would much rather have a classroom of 10 girls. I wish I could change this and I have been trying. I lose my patience quicker with boys and I tend to be less lenient on them too compared to girls. I try not to pay any more attention to the girls than the boys, but guess who wants to be around me all of the time? The girls. Does anyone else have any gender bias?:dizzy:

3. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

I have been guilty of it. However, I have come to the conclusion that girls can be just as much of a pain as boys, if not worse.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2010

I teach much older kids, and, if I had to choose, I would pick boys in a heartbeat.

5. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

I think I have the gender bias opposite of you! I teach autistic PreK, so the majority of my students are boys and I love it! But my situation is slightly different...

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

I love it when MY classroom is full of boys. I don't think subbing in one would be fun. My boys like to have the routine of the mannerisms of the teachers. When it is clean up she says it this specific way-and crosses her arms like this-and then I know.

The girls little quirks make me crazy. So I have to work at my bias the other than you.

I think many people would prefer one to another, it just depends on if you are professional in your room or not in despite of the liking. It sounds like you are.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

My birth family had 3 girls, but then I had 3 boys and discovered they are weird creatures from outer space! They are definitely different and I love it! In my whole teaching career I have never had more girls than boys and this year I haved 17 boys and 7 girls. Yes, they are a handful and busy but there is no drama, tattling and all the other stuff that goes along with groups of girls. I recommend a book called Why Gender Matters that will open your eyes to the real, physical differences between boys and girls that causes differences in their behaviors. It is a fascinating book. Sorry I can't remember the author this early in the morning.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

Give me an ornery boy over a whiny girl any day. I can handle boys. I prefer boys.

9. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 3, 2010

:agreed:

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2010

Another boy lover.

I've been teaching for 23 years and I've seen so many boys get the short end of the stick because people expect them to behave just like the girls. They won't, because they're boys! :lol:

I love having boys in my space. I actually had one parent thank me for being the first and only teacher who ever "got" her son. He was a boy with some issues, and he thrived in my classroom where he didn't in other places.

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 3, 2010

My class (kindergarten) is about 50/50 boys and girls. I don't know... I go back and forth - they each have qualities I adore and some I don't. :)

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2010

I taught kinder for 3 years and honestly, I don't think I could choose one gender over another. I have worked with some AMAZING kids. I've had briliant boys and girls and of course I've had some stinkers that were boys and girls. Overall, it's all about classroom management and nipping the poor choices in the bud before they become an issue.

For example, I don't deal with tatteling (unless it invlvoes someone getting hurt, bullying, etc). We go over times to tell the teacher and times when we should keep it to ourselves (I had a plush bear that came with our social studies program and they would talk to the bear when they had an issue that they just needed to vent).

So, yeah, for me, a class half girls and half boys would be perfect. :)

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 3, 2010

I teach middle school, and I'll take a group of boys ANY DAY! Last year I taught 7th grade boys, and I loved it. A day with ornery boys is better than a day with catty girls any day of the week.

This year all of my classes are mixed (half and half) and I don't like it as much. The girls are giggly, and the boys act stupid around the girls. They're much better apart when the hormones are involved.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2010

I really like the "difficult" boys!

Boys are physically exhausting; girls are mentally exhausting...

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 3, 2010

I liked girls better until I had a grandson (I had daughters) and discovered how wonderful they are. It does help to have some first hand experience with both boys and girls. Since they are so different, it takes different skills to deal with each group.

16. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

I will have to say that my preference is boys. There is less drama with boys. When I started working in my classroom it was me and my 11 boys. (yep, ALL BOYS) In the past couple of months I have gotten 2 girls in but they are now starting to act just like my boys so I still dont have the girl catty-ness!

17. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

I love my boys! I grew up in a family of girls. I myself have 3 boys. When I did in-home childcare I had only 1 girl in a span of nine years. In the center I'm in, my room of toddlers is 10 boys and 2 girls. The past 5 years has been like that. Our infant room is full f girls now. I prefer boys, there is less whining, no princesses, no tattling, all the "mental" baggage. Granted my boys are more physical, they find things to do without help. I go home with a good physical tired. On the days I've been in the preschool with the girls-it's a mental tired. So bring on the rascals, I love them:)