*~*~ Official 2007 CSET MS Test ~*~*

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by SunnyDaisy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 16, 2007

OK, that takes care of "usf"...what about "meghi"?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

If that isn't a nickname, I'd be surprised. Speaking of Irish...

3. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Apr 16, 2007

No more CSET for me!! I passed my last two subtests! What a relief!

Congrats to all who passed and thanks for the encouragement and support on this board.

4. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Apr 16, 2007

I too just saw my scores. I passed III and I got 216/220 on the Eng and History the one I only spend 50 minutes doing because I had intention of just doing two test II (208/220) and III. Well I am planning on taking the two tests again in May. I decided three weeks before the test date to actually take the exam so I am actually proud of myself being that I had only decided to take it because the prep course instructor I spoke to said you should take it so you are aware of what to expect, so I did. I am glad I did. I hope to tell you all in May that I have passed the rest. That is my goal! Yeah!! Good luck to all who took it!!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the tips Irish! I will look for that show. I have such a huge amount of resources I am using. I keep discovering more and more useful information. I will be 50 when I take the test, so Im right behind you. Congratulations again to everyone!
    PS to anyone who took all three, how long did you spend on each sub test? Do you think 2 hours on I, 2 hours on II and 1 hour on III like Boosalis (beating the CSET) suggests is about right?

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Apr 16, 2007

kimmys, irish2teach, usfmeghi, brookerjean, congrats on passing the CSET!
    jcuturrufo, congrats on passing Subtest I and good luck on taking the test again in May!

As for me, I passed my last subtest II and now I'm done! I can officially apply for a district intern program. Yeah!!!!
    I'm so glad I took first subtests I and II one time and then subtest II the other time, it really helped me a lot. So I can say that I passed the CSET from the first try! Cool!

TeacherGroupie, I'm young too (26) and was able to pass the test (it wasn't that easy, though).

7. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Apr 16, 2007

Irish- Tis a nickname;)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

brookerjean, well done!

jcuturrufo, that's quite a showing for so relatively little prep time. Make sure you look at side 2 of the official score report when it arrives: there's valuable information in that chart of performance indicators.

Chokita, that you passed is so not a surprise... did I not say you would?

usfmeghi, me darlin', it's passing this exam ye'll be soon, and no mistake.

9. Incanto270

Incanto270 Rookie

Apr 17, 2007

yay

yay i passed subtest II..no more cset :) congrats to everyone else and good luck to those taking it in may!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2007

Way cool, Incanto270!

What did you learn from the experience that you can use to help your future students?

11. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Apr 17, 2007

Congrats!

Yay to everyone!!

You guys making me relive that moment too! :p

:eek: ... subtest II around the horizon ...

Gotta keep my game face on :D

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2007

Actually, the point is to see how this experience can be redeemed - how it can become part of your toolkit as a teacher.

13. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just received the scores. I received +++ (English) ++ (History) - one checkmark on 1 Essay and one k,s for the rest of the essays. This is the one I received a 216/220. Do I need to get a checkmark on every box for the essay? Or did I just need to get one checkmark in History and one in English. I also received+++ (Math) ++ (Science) and k on essay. The essays I know I rushed through it and didn't really think about it as much as I should had, but like I said earlier I was taking it so I could get a preview of what I need to focus on and I believe now I know I just need to relax. Your help on this would truly help. Thanks

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

CSET subtests are scored holistically: you could perfectly well pass by raising one of those ++ domains in multiple choice to a +++.

Those aren't essays, by the way: they're constructed response questions, or short answers, but definitely not "essays" in the CBEST sense.

That you're seeing k's on your score report suggests to me that you'd do well to work on the terminology in each of the domains - see a ramp, think "inclined plane", see a figure of speech, think "metaphor"... that sort of thing.

15. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

Thanks for the clarification. For Subtest III I received +++,+++, ++ and a check mark in each constructed response box, so can one pass still having a +++,++ or do they both need to be +++,+++? Thanks!!

16. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Apr 18, 2007

jcuturrufo, good luck to you! I hope you pass next time!

I received the results of the CSET in the mail. I have ++++ for Math, ++++ for Science and ++++ for all constructed responses.
    Not bad at all! ;-)

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

The numbers of plus marks correspond to ranges of scores, and it's a pretty good guess that they correspond to quartiles: that is, ++++ probably means 75% or better correct, +++ should correspond to 50% to 75% correct, and ++ should correspond to 25% to 50% correct. So if both +++ and ++ are on the high ends of their respective ranges, yes, it should be possible to pass.

As to the checkmarks, it's important to note that it's possible to get checkmarks across the board in a subtest that has only constructed response questions and still not pass. That is, the letters (p, k, s) indicate obvious weaknesses in purpose, knowledge, and support or some combination. A response that doesn't have obvious weaknesses in one or more of these will get a checkmark - but that doesn't mean that both scorers gave it a 3.

18. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

That is Great!!! Congrats!!. That means you have check marks on all your constructed responses?

Yes, being that I only studied for a few weeks, I didn't even expected to pass, I was taking it to see what subject matter I was weak in.

I know now I need to do well on the constructed responses and I should do fine next time.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

I'd guess so, yes, jcuturrufo: 216 is pretty darned close to passing already, so it wouldn't take a huge shift to get you over the top. In your case, importantly, the shift could be just in multiple choice - get a couple more questions right, and voila!

20. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

TeacherGroupie:

Thanks for this great information. Subtest I is the one I got 216, and I believe I didn't pass because I did not get a checkmark on the History constructive responses. I only received one checkmark on the English portion. I know now I am going to need to add key words or even key dates, I believe I was too general. Thanks again for the help on understanding what I need to do.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

In history, seems to me it's less about key dates than it is about understanding the connections, as in causes and consequences. For example, the Second Amendment to the US Constitution has been under discussion elsewhere on A to Z. So what might have motivated the framers to be thinking in those terms?

22. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

To TeacherGroupie,
    In all the struggles, frustration, and disappointment in not passing the Math/Science until my 4th attempt (!), I'm now looking back at all those feelings and putting them into the perspective of how a young child feels that just doesn't "get it" with division (or anything) the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time. As an adult, I have the resources and access to finding a different study/review routine in order to "mix-it-up, change-it-up" to find a way for me to understand the material. But a young child does not have those options or knowledge. I'm now looking at this entire testing process we soon to be teachers have been besieged with as an experience that will help us to be far more understanding to that struggling student. We have to do whatever it takes to pass these miserable tests; we need to continue that thought when faced with a student with that 'glazed-over" look on their face after you have explained division 3x's. We have to be patient, creative, patient, resourceful, patient, and ENCOURAGING! They WILL "get it"! In fact probably a lot sooner than the warp speed of us "oldsters".
    RICA...here I come (June)!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

irish, yes, that's one of the directions I want people going with this.

There's another. Do I infer correctly that you're less than fond of math and science?

24. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

TeacherGroupie,
    Actually, after having to figure out how to absorb AND retain many of the concepts of Math and Science @ the elementary/middle school level in order to be prepared for the CSET, I have come to actually enjoy both of these areas with Science being the favorite.
    It's truly amazing how you can "hook" someone's interest merely by presenting the information in a format they will understand. That is the "trick" with teaching...finding a format of presenting your lessons in a manner that the students will be interested and will comprehend. But I have vowed to take this thought further...if 25/30 students "get it", I will do backwards cartwheels on a skateboard to help them understand physics or anything else. I will do what it takes to get that light to come on!
    I look forward to student teaching in the Fall to share my enthusiasm of learning with the students. Because I'm still learning, I can both relate with their challenges as well as sooth their frustrations.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

irish, my dear, this post of yours makes my evening at the very least. It's exactly what I was hoping for.

Your students are going to be in great hands.

26. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Apr 24, 2007

I was accepted to teach Elementary School this fall so I *have* to pass the CSET-MS on May 19th in order to teach ... so that's making me *very* nervous ... I took the practice test on the CSET website and I passed every section except history so I feel like I have a good start. I got the Cliff's CSET prep book & the what your 4th grader needs to know (and already read it all) & what your 6th grader needs to know

27. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

Ashlee,
    Get your hands on a Social Studies textbook, possibly 4th and 6th grade, and go through the chapters a few times to refresh what you probably already know. If that is your only weak area, I bet a pan of yummy brownies that you will do just fine.
    Don't start getting nervous. Instead, talk to a few teachers about what is taught at these grades and study the general ideas. Don't try to "memorize" all the historical details. You'll drive yourself nuts! Good Luck to you.

28. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

That's a great idea!!! I'll see if they carry one at the library.

I'm also going to visit a few local museums to help out with it. I did take CA history while in school, but don't have any recall on it, I'm great with US history, but CA specific & then any ancient history are my definite weak points.

Thanks! I'm trying hard not to get nervous, with so much on the line it's hard not to be!!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

You're good with US history? Cool! Last time I checked, California was part of the US - so try looking at California history through the lens of what you already know about US history.

As to museums, yes! Take a friend and a stack of homemade flashcards and go spend some time at Mission San Juan Capistrano and perhaps also at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana. Let me also recommend the Web site of the California Historical Society, http://www.californiahistory.net, and the Web site of the Oakland Museum of California, http://www.museumca.org.

30. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

My cousins go to school at the Mission!!! So I pick them up from school often, I'm sure I can convince them to walk around with me, they'd probably even give me a tour! I never thought of that!

haha, very true, CA is part of the US. I will check out those links! Thanks!!!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

That's the spirit!