*~*~ Official 2007 CSET MS Test ~*~*

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by SunnyDaisy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2007

On side 2 of the CSET score report - the side that goes only to the test taker - there's a chart of performance indicators, by subtest, domain, and question type. Results are reported for each constructed response as checkmark (for a response that meets the minimal requirements for the the question) or some combination of p, k, and s.

As usfmeghi has already noted, p is purpose: p indicates that scorers believe the test taker did not answer the question being asked (or did not get the point of the question). k is knowledge: k indicates that scorers believe the test taker did not show off sufficient knowledge (for example, the test taker did not use appropriate technical terminology in answering). s is support: s indicates that scorers believe the test taker did not properly explain why the answer makes sense.

2. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2007

Thanks for the advice anewstart101. You're right, it's important not to panic or 'give up' on the constructed response questions.
    Some people have said that you can sometimes find help, or clues about your question in the multiple choice area of the test, too! Congratulations on passing!

3. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 26, 2007

Oh, I remember now! Thanks!

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2007

Lunar eclipse tonight! Test youself and see if you can draw how the sun, moon and earth line up during a solar eclipse and a lunar eclipse. It took me a minute to remember which is which.
    Happy studying everyone!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2007

Also, I heard on the radio yesterday that Fox Television has a new show, or soon will, called "Are you smarter than your 5th grader?".
    They were asking sample questions on the air and stumping the adults. This might be another good study tool! ~ Katie

6. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 3, 2007

I watched that show with 2 of my kids, ages 8 and 14. My 14 yr. old wondered if the adults were really unable to answer the questions.

7. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

March 17th CSET

Good luck to all CSETers this Saturday.

8. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

Thanks, SunnyDaisy. I do feel like I'm going to need some luck. I think I've fallen way behind on my studying (for subtests I and III). (And it certainly doesn't help matters that I've been sick for the past several weeks!)

I did really well with the reading section of the CBEST, and I've always been pretty strong in English...so I'm hoping I can get by on that part. The history, however, has me pretty overwhelmed! And I'm going to have to rely on my experience with music and theater for subtest III...and hope I can squeak by with the phys ed and human development parts. YIKES!!

Ok...deep breath.

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2007

Best wishes from me, too!

Good luck and keep us posted as to how it was. I'll bet you do great! (Im taking all 3 in May)

10. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 13, 2007

Hello and Welcome to a great forum!

I took these tests last year and I understand your frustration as I am currently trying to hurdle through the last test (RICA). It is very easy to get sucked in and feel like these tests are worthless and I thought that early on. However, I have had a change of heart personally.

As far as studying here is what I did since I needed brushing up on all of the areas:

For all of the tests I used the Boosalis book, internet, television(history channel), this forum, and talked with many people.
    I just emersed myself in all of the areas. what I mean by this is that I began to put myself in the role of the teacher and if a student of mine asked me a specific question about Egypt how would I respond to him/her. When i took the test, this was the way I looked at the essay questions. I responded as if a student had asked me that same question. I my opinion it made it easier as I am a mess when it comes to tests, but thinking in this mindset made it much easier...
    I also sat down and made a timeline of how many days until the test date, then I divided up the pages in the book, or internet, or television (whatever I was studying from) and that gave me how many pages i would study for that day(granted I knew some of the stuff, so I was able to skim over that). It was easier for me to do this when I had a month or more to study, so that I didn't have to cram and could process all of it and make notes. I would also write down specific things that I didn't understand, this would help make it more concrete because I could read it, draw it, and and write it which would help me process it much easier and help it stick in my brain.
    Whatever you do ask questions on this site, those of us who have passed these areas come back and check in with future test takers. We are all future teachers so our job is to help eachother RIGHT? Our passion is to help one another and soon you will be here too helping those future test takers with your knowledge of how to pass this test......I wish you nothing but the best....you have taken the biggest step in conquering this and that is stepping forward and asking for help...Congratulations...Don't give up!

Best of Luck,

11. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 13, 2007

A big Yeah!!!!! for you! Way to go! Celebrate time:)

12. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Mar 14, 2007

Brookerjean, sorry to hear about your condition. I do hope you feel better. And yes, I understand that the amount of material that needs to be covered can be frustrating and overwhelming. But do take things 1 day at a time, and feel free to post questions here. I'm sure many posters here can help out with tips and suggestions. Please keep us posted on how things turn out.:)

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2007

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, brookerjean.

Deep breath, yes, indeed, and let me recommend some chocolate (or whatever works for you that way) into the bargain.

If you're strong in music and theatre and English, you probably have more history than you think you do: the music and theatre and literature of a period of history reflect the history, by reflecting the preoccupations of the time and by reflecting who has money to spend on arts and letters. And if you've actually done theatre, you've probably had at least a little experience of dance, and that can go surprisingly far in helping with PE. Let me offer you also a freebie: the Web site of PE Central, http://www.pecentral.com. Which, I just discovered, offers lesson plans: http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/pelessonplans.html

14. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Mar 15, 2007

I'm reviewed all my notes, etc and was looking back at the Subject Matter req.

I can't seem to figure out from it if we need to know about the human body for Subtest II

(Heard, digestive system,skin, etc.) Trying to prioritize here. Can someone tell me if this is part of Subtest II or not??

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2007

Well, there are certainly things it wouldn't hurt to know about it - that it's an organism composed of organ systems and organs, that organs are made up of tissues and tissues of cells, and so on. Let me put it this way: questions about the body aren't, um, out of the question.

16. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 15, 2007

I noticed from different practice tests for Subtest II that there are a lot of questions about heart!

17. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 15, 2007

Well, let's just say it would be wise on your part to study it...
    :)

18. kimmys

kimmys Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

good luck/constructed resp. ?

Hi--I'm new to this forum, but want to wish good luck to everyone taking the CSET tomorrow! I'm taking all 3 subtests, and have pretty much decided I know what I know (which is not as much as I wish I knew), but I'm going to try to approach this as an interesting challenge (and know that I have one more chance to pass in May if I don't this time) before I begin my intern program (special ed).
    I'm wondering, though, if anyone has advice for approaching a constructed response question that you have no idea how to answer? Wing it? Say I can't answer this exactly but I know a lot about xxx. Wow--I've been out of college for 30 years, and haven't needed to draw on such a wide range of facts. In fact, if I want to know more about something, I know how to research and learn about it from outside resources (which is what I figure I'd do when preparing class lessons).

19. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2007

Hi,
    I am almost in the same boat as you. I have been out of school for almost 30 years, but I finished my bachelors two years ago. (It took me awhile!) I am taking all three subtests together in May. Good luck tomorrow!
    I almost signed up for the St Patricks Day test, but thought I'd give myself a little more time. And if I dont pass a section, I will do it in July! Relax tonight and GOOD LUCK Tomorrow!
    As to the CR questions, from what I've gleaned from these forums,
    go with what you know, however small, and expand from there. Sometimes there is an answer in the Multiple choice section that will help you with the constructed response.
    Answering only a part of the question may give you the point or points needed to pass the entire exam, where leaving it blank is not an option.
    Let us know how it was and how you did! I'm rooting for you to pass all three!
    ~Katie

20. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

I graduated college only 20 years ago. I'm also thinking about how to answer a cr question if I don't know the material well enough -especially a math question. Hopefully I can use information I find in the mult. choice portion to answer the cr questions, as someone suggested in an earlier post. I'm not taking the test until May, and then only parts 1 and 3. I'll take part 2 in the summer.

21. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Mar 16, 2007

I figure, if you don't know this, geyt down the things you do know...certain properties, the formula, etc. I find the math stuff...it's really a matter of breaking it down.

IO feel good about the math section...

science is another story. While I know, matter, forces, astromony, etc.

I always seem t o forget some of the stuff about the atmosphere or some aspect of biology..

But hopefully I know enough to pull off a passing score.

worst case scenario is retaking it in May.

22. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

Ugh, I'm not that good at committing formulas to memory. I'm always looking things up (that's what books are for, right?). I'm sure I'll do fine with Language in part 1, and development in part 3. I have a lot of brushing up to do in history.

23. kimmys

kimmys Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

Thanks katrinkakat, jd123, and usfmeghi for the words of support. I really have trouble with the physical sciences. I never took any physics courses, and I do believe I'm hard-wired not to retain what I learn about energy, matter, etc. Hope there's no battery-type, magnet questions! Wish we telecommunicate tomorrow, usfmeghi! I discovered a wealth of info in my 7th grade daughter's textbooks. Great info in the Life Sciences book on cell bio and genetics, plus some earth sciences. Also history text seems to be the source for some of the sample ? Wish I had more time to review...Good luck!

24. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

I'm sure you've heard the suggestion to read the cr's first, then do the mult. choice keeping the cr questions in mind. Again, hopefully there will be info. in the mult. choice that can be used to answer the cr's.

25. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Mar 16, 2007

I used flashcards for the formulas. I don't remeber the stuff about cones, but I figure i can use my knowldge of circles and volume to remember the formula.

ugh. The genetics. That will be my downfall. Didnt studt DNA and stuff enough.,

Hope the extent about magnetism is that opposite charges attract and equal charges repel!

please very little on waves! I can tell you what feequency is ...what amplitude is... i can tell you what a transverse vave is and that sound waves are transverse, i thing, but thats bout it.

26. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

Good Luck to you tomorrow too! May the Luck of the Irish be with you! I'm taking the Math/Science tomorrow for the 4th time. For luck I'm wearing all of my shamrocks tomorrow!
    I too have been out of school for over 30 years and just finished my bachelor's degree last Spring. I am currently in the credential program at the University of Redlands. I feel like such a dinosaur! I completely understand your feeling of not retaining mountains of info. I'm lucky if I can recite my name at the end of a day after Subbing. The kids are all great; it's just that my brain is mush!
    Good Luck to everyone tomorrow...and don't forget to wear your GREEN!

27. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

Good luck!!!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2007

People, you probably know more about what you know than you think you know. Breathe, gang. Do what you can with what you know; do a little more than you quite trust with what you know, and think about how you'd make sense of this stuff to a kid who's terrified and whom you have to help.

I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

29. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 17, 2007

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY...
    MAY THE LUCK OF A THOUSAND SHAMROCKS BE WITH YOU TODAY!!

:D

30. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 17, 2007

I just came back from the CSET, I took the remaining subtest II (the other two I passed in January). It wasn't that bad. I think I did ok. :)

What about everybody else?

31. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

Me too,
    I just got back from taking Subtest II, and I actually understood what the test was asking. It didn't sound foreign to me. I had a few math and a few science that were baffling, but the CR's I did really well in. I feel soooo much better walking out of this test, than I did last time.
    I went and rented 3 movies, and I'm shutting my brain and computer off and enjoying myself tonight. For those that took this exam should do the same thing!
    Good luck and Congrats to us!!!

32. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 17, 2007

And I'm going out with a friend right now to get some fresh air :)

The night before the exam my husband and I went out to a friend's birthday party, first we had a dinner at a restaurant in Pasadena and then went to a Comedy Club :) We had fun :)

33. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Mar 17, 2007

I just got back. (went to a job fair afterwards..had a bg one here) It really wasnt that bad. I felt I knew most of the material. There were a few (not many) I had to guess and only 2 I had yto do a total guess. Only 1 CR I wasn't sure of, but I put in all I knew about the meterial.

It wasn't like the SS where I was clueless on the CR and I still passed that one!

Hopefully I passed. *fingers crossed* Then I can apply for my supplemental!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2007

Sounds very promising, you three. Chokita, taking off the night before the test is nearly always a great idea. jennegirl, you sound almost a little stunned about having understood what Subtest II was asking this time; I hope you're also proud of yourself for getting it. (What did you do differently this time to prep?) usfmeghi, your "It really wasnt that bad" is a reasonable predictor of success.

I look forward to good news from all three of you in a month or so.

35. kimmys

kimmys Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

It's over (for now)

I did wear green! It's over, but I'm still in shock and trying to erase some nagging thoughts: of how I could have done better on a CR; did I miss the point on another CR; I can't believe I put down one answer instead of another on a literature "interpretation." Wow--holding a pencil for straight 5 hours (and yes, I was the last to leave the room after working on all 3 subtests); maybe that's too much to ask of stiff old hands like mine! I really don't know how I did; thought I did ok as I worked through the tests, but on reflection am realizing some of my goofs. HELPFUL HINT: Make sure you write your CR response on the correct page. I skipped one to come back to later, but then wrote the page-long response to the next on that page!!! So much erasing, so little time. Just got up from my nap--sent husband off to dinner at friends'--daughters here and there. Going to sit in the beautiful bay area sun before we get our "summer" weather! THANKS TO EVERYONE--this is a wonderful support network.

36. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

If gases are combined could it be more dangerous than a chemical mixture?

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2007

Think about the definition of "mixture" in chemistry. In a mixture, two or more distinct substances combine - and stay distinct: if, for example, you put dry shell macaroni and dry lima beans in a paper bag, you end up with a mixture of dry shell macaroni and dry lima beans.

38. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

Glad that's over...for now at least.

(I took I and III yesterday...already passed II.)

I feel pretty good about III, but I'm a bit worried about my score on the history section in I....felt like I needed some additional study in that area.

Fingers crossed that the CSET is behind me now...and congrats to all who had a successful CSET Saturday! :)

39. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Mar 18, 2007

I'm sure you did fine.

I felt the same when I took it last January, I ended up passing anyways. You probably know more than you think.

40. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

I took Subtest II yesterday and feel good about it. Of course I am 2nd guessing myself on one of the Math CR's but I'm putting those thoughts behind me. I can't believe I'm having such a difficult time with Subtest II (this is my 4th attempt!) and yet I passed Subtests I & II the 1st attempt.
    But yesterday I wrote more than I ever have on the CR's; details, details, details, even if I wasn't 100% positive that it all made sense. I spent 35 minutes reviewing all of my answers (M/C and CR's) looking for any mistakes and missed details.
    Then I left the test and spent the rest of the weekend with my adorable 9 month-old grandson who doesn't care if I know the sun's position during Winter Solstice or how long it will take for a dripping faucet to fill a basin!!
    May we all pass and move on in our quest to be marvelous educators. The kids need us!