*~*~ Official 2007 CSET MS Test ~*~*

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by SunnyDaisy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

Ha! I really just decided to take the cset. I haven't taken any part of it yet. I'm going to study from a couple of guides and read, read, read. I'm going to let everything sink in - good advice that I saw somewhere- and I'll be ready by May. I'd probably be ready in March, but I just want to be sure.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

If you're good at taking tests and reasonably fast, it makes sense to go for all three subtests at once. But it also makes perfect sense to break the subtests up across several testing days.

3. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

Boosalis (Beating the CSET) suggests doing it all in one shot if it's your first time taking the test. I'm ok with most of the subject matter in subsets 1 and 3. I can get that done within the 5 hours. But add math and science to that as well? I don't think so. I don't want to pay for all 3 and have to retake and repay for any portion of the test. So I figure I'll just pay for 1 and 3 and pass (I hope!), then concentrate on subset 2 by itself.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

Boosalis is right for some people but not for others.

Your strategy sounds perfectly appropriate to me.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2007

JD123
    Im thinking I'll be ready in March, too, but want to take my time and absorb more info. The only two sites I saw near us were Bakersfield and Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills is much closer. For the CBEST test there was one at the High School right here in Palmdale, but the CSET sites seem to be more spread out.
    Teachergroupie,
    just saw your ? now about publishing date for Watkins book, it's 1973, although the library copy I had was an updated edition, with a later publishing date. I compared the two and couldn't find any differences tho! My whole family enjoys the photographs in this book.
    ~Katie

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

Huh. The one disadvantage to that is that there are Just A Few Things that have happened in California in the meantime - I mean, jeez, Nixon was still President (and, yes, TeacherGroupie IS old enough to remember that, and do you mind??)

Try looking up "California history" on Answers.com.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2007

I realize that. But I KNOW history since the 70's. I lived it.
    It's the old stuff that I needed to relearn. I like to see photos of California in the olden days, especially from areas where I have lived. My fathers family all emigrated to Jackson, CA and Sutter Creek areas so I'm fascinated by the photos of the Gold Rush era.

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2007

PS. I can see the need for students to have a more up to
    date version of a CA History book, however. I still like this one tho.
    :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

10. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Feb 19, 2007

Scores tomorrow (from Jan. 20)!

I must admit that I'm pretty excited/nervous/anxious about finding out my score for subtest II. (It was my first subtest, and I'm really hoping that I won't have to take it again.)

I've been trying to tackle history for subtest I (I'm taking I and III in March), and I'm having a hard time breaking it all down without getting overwhelmed with the amount of content and length of timeline that's covered. If anyone has any additional history studying methods or tips to share, I'd be very grateful.

Good luck to everyone receiving unofficial scores tomorrow!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 19, 2007

Have you rummaged through previous threads and posts?

Try not to get caught up in the names-and-dates thing. CSET exams are by and large not that driven by facts and rote: instead, the focus is on what kind of reasoning you can do with what you know. In the case of history, this means being able to make appropriate connections between events. Think, for example, about James II of England deciding he was going to be the UK's Louis XIV: what differences between England and France might drive his success or failure?

12. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Feb 20, 2007

I just passed I and III! * I was surprised I passed I. I know I did poorly on the written responses for Social Studies as I had totally blanked) I must have done really well on the Language and did well enough on the Multiple Choice.

Now I just have Subject II in March and I can apply for my Authorization if I pass.:)

Anyone can recommend something for Science? I have Usborne.

13. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

(I'm the reverse :) ) I passed II (hooray!), and I've got I and III in March. Congrats on your passing scores!

P.S. Sorry I don't have any particular science books to suggest. I just used the Cliffs and Kaplan CSET books and supplemented with some science websites.

14. Incanto270

Incanto270 Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

yay i just checked my scores!!! i passed I and III...now i have to study for II in march!!! i wonder how that test will be...i'm so happy!! i was nervous this entire weekend. :)

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

usfmeghi, if by the Usborne you mean the big fat Science Encyclopedia, you're probably good to go: look for ways that the information in there helps you explain (a) things you run into in everyday life and (b) the points on the Subtest Description document for Subtest II (which is the Subtest II part of what's on the Content Specifications/Subject Matter Requirements document, so if you've already got that one, use it).

Incanto270 and Brookerjean, well done! Be sure to celebrate, please.

16. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 20, 2007

Oh man! I passed too! I took subtests I and III in January, and I was so sure I didn't do well. I can't believe I passed, considering I'm a foreigner and English is my second language.
    Guys, I'm so happy!!!

Now I have Subtest II in March!!!

I'm using Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia to study for science, and I love it! It's so simple, and I love the illustrations!

17. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 20, 2007

And congratulations to all of you, guys!!! :angel:

18. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

I Passed!!

Yay! Passed subtest III! The wait was sooo long, and then yes!!, I can't believe it!, All that studying paid off - the hours in the library!!

Ok-I'm not making sense here-sorry :eek:

Congrats to all who passed!!!

(passes out from sheer excitement and exhaustion)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Very good indeed, Chokita. It's pretty common, actually, that people whose native language isn't English find that CSET's less hard on them than CBEST was. And if you're enjoying the Usborne Science Encyclopedia - which, by the way, isn't so much simple as it is clear: there are some very complicated topics in there - that bodes well for you on Subtest II.

SunnyDaisy, if you're passing out, it's probably blood sugar: have you had your chocolate for the day?

20. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 20, 2007

TeacherGroupie, what I meant by "simple" is that this encyclopedia explains everything in simple terms :) I guess you're right it makes everything clear.

SunnyDaisy, I'm happy for you!

21. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2007

Congratulations to everyone! That's great everyone had such happy news! It gives all of us hope that we can do it, too!
    I wont be taking mine until May so hopefully in June you will see my post saying "yea! I passed all three!" :) Congrats again!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Ooops, Chokita: didn't mean to offend. That aside was intended for those who turn up their noses at the book because it's from a children's-book publisher. In fact, the Science Encyclopedia, when used in conjunction with the Web links in it, is one of Malcolm's recommendations for passing CSET single subject science tests.

23. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 21, 2007

I passed II alas I am done!. Congrats to all. . . .I used what your child needs to know about science homework. . . .

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

There you go, anewstart101! Good show! Don't forget to celebrate properly.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

I posted this before seeing your post on the "Discouraged" thread.

anewstart101, you rock.

26. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Well, after 3 attempts at Sub-test II (Math/Science) I once again FAILED! This time by ONE POINT!...ugh! I've already registered for the March test but I am so done with these ridiculous tests.

27. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Oh, I forgot to say...Congratulations to all of you that got the good news on your test scores today. I don't mean to "rain on your parade". I alreay passed sub-tests I and III last year so I know the great feeling of passing at least those parts.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

Is one point closer than you've come before, irish? If so, hold that thought - it means you can do this.

29. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

I have gotten progressively closer in the three tests. My Math/Science scores have been 208, 212, and 219.
    It is just so-oo-oo frustrating to have gotten so close this time. But I am reviewing all of my books/materials again, really concentrating on the short-response as that is always my "scary" area!
    I feel like the "little engine that could"!...I think I can, I think I can!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

Ah. Are you seeing mostly p's, mostly k's, mostly s's, or an even sprinkling of each?

31. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

I know this is a late post, as we got our scores on Tuesday...but I passed my LAST subtest, I. I am overjoyed and feel such relief! Whew! My friend passed 2 subtests that she took as well, so we went on last night to celebrate!!

Congratulations to everyone else...and if you're still trying...don't lose hope because it's very possible to do!

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

Good show, MissWull!

33. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

Congratulations! How was the test compared to the practice tests found on the website or in the study guides? (Can we ask that?)

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

I see no reason why not.

35. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

can I say something? I had problems with short answer constructed response. The first time I took math/sceince I gave up and on the short answers had p,s, k's on each short answer. My problem was I doubted myself and did poorly. I took it this time and passed I did a little better on the mC still poorely in science. But on the short answer constructed response I got a check for three of them and only one that was p,k. These scared me the most I still doubted what I was doing but I did it anyways figuring I was telling a good story or getting it right. I found what I did know in the questions and expanded on that even if it was just a part of the question. I don't know if this helps but it helped me to change the way I thought. I passed I still can not believed it.

I also went on the site and did a search for math and science cset and read all the posts. It helps me to see it on a screen. I recommened this forum for a classmate of mind

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2007

I like what you have to say, anewstart101. Attitude is huge in test taking.

37. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2007

Congratulations MissWull!! How great for you!

38. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Feb 25, 2007

Congrats

Congrats MissWull and all those who passed!

Just to piggyback, I also found it useful to put down relevant information for the constructed response. It may have not been EXACTLY what the scorers were looking for, but if you give them information to work with, they'll find ways to give you points. Just don't become discouraged and leave a blank. Try to squeeze as much points from the essay even if you have no clue whatsoever.

If you didn't pass, please don't get discouraged. I know someone who had to take subtest II 5 times before she actually passed! Admittedly, it was rough, but for her the end was definitely worth it.

It IS possible to pass these tests, so don't try to talk yourself down into thinking that your doomed. You've got my vote of confidence ;)

39. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 25, 2007

I'm sorry, what are p, k, and s's?

40. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Feb 25, 2007

P=Purpose of the question. Did you answer what was being asked

K=Subject Matter Knowledge

S=Support. How well did you support youanswer

This applies to the constructed response