*~*~ Official 2007 CSET MS Test ~*~*

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by SunnyDaisy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

Thoughts About the Test

Thanks Chokita and actually TG I was sooo nervous that I needed to take sleeping pills! :eek: ....:rolleyes: .....:)

Just came back from the test ... whew! I'm glad I signed up for 1, cause I needed all that time. If I can give an advice to anyone taking the CSET, plz take only 1 subtest. It's tough!

It was a little stressful because our proctor seemed a little confused about the directions, and he wasn't sure if we had to give him our cell phones or we were suppose to keep it. I just prayed that mine didn't ring because I was too scared to reach down my back pack to change to vibrate :sorry: (he might void my scores???)-but its all over now.

As far as the test ...

Opened the testbooklet, and BINGO. Approached the test correctly, and felt that I knew which type of questions were going to be asked. There was a painting that I ran across in my study but didn't read about or focus on (ARGH!). If you focus on the principles, whether it be P.E, art (theatre is a different story. ?????????), then you'll be fine. I would be glad to help out any who need to study for this section, as some of you here were gracious enought to help me out.

For now, gotta get some sleep (for an hour or two), then will watch a movie but no more notes, books, for a while ....

2. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

SunnyDaisy - That's bizarre about the cell phone situation. I took Subtest II today, and we were told multiple times before entering the testing rooms AND after entering the testing rooms that we HAD to turn in our cell phones if they were in our possession (same thing at my CBEST site). It's odd that you're proctor was unclear.

But congrats on finishing Subtest III! Was it your first Subtest? Your last? This was my first Subtest...so I'm hoping it's one down and two to go.

3. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

i'm so relieved this cset madness is over! (or hopefully will be over for me). I took the last subtest I had left, subtest II, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was easier than I thought it would be! I guess I'll find out next month! Hope everyone did well today!

ps- on a sidenote, all the toilets were clogged up or had gross stuff in it. I mean all of them! I even tried the men's restroom, but I guess they had shut off the water. I felt like that was really unfair testing situation for people who needed the entire 5 hours. I finished a tad quicker than I would've liked just because I was rushing to use the bathroom elsewhere!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

Sounds promising, SunnyDaisy. I agree with brookerjean that your proctor's confusion about the cell phones is really odd - the rules say No Cell Phones. It's best to leave the phone in the car - or, if you're not leaving it there, to make sure it's off, not just on vibrate (some phones vibrate really noisily).

modgirl, your experience with the content of Subtest II sounds very promising indeed.

As to the toilets, people: if there's something wrong with the circumstances in which you're testing, you're entitled to complain, and the proctor is supposed to have Official Forms with which you can point out the problem. I think it's possible to complain afterward through the Web site as well. If the problem's bad enough, it could result in a free retake; in any case, NES needs to know there was a difficulty in case this is a recurring thing that might lead to booking a different test site next time.

5. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 20, 2007

I took subtests I and III today. I agree, it was tough to take more than one subtest at a time, but I didn't have much choice (by my own circumstances). So I just had to pace myself all the time and try to manage my time efficiently. I left the classroom at 12:58. Well, at least I completed everything on time. :tired:

I think I did ok (not great though). :rolleyes:

I need some rest too!

As for the cell phones, even before you enter the building, they remind you about the cell phone policy (it was also printed on paper and hung on every wall: Cell phones are prohibited). And then again the proctor in the room told us about this policy. They are very strict about that.

The bathrooms were ok in my test site (it was El Camino Real HS). :)

SunnyDaisy, it seems like we had exactly the same test (subtest III). ;)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

Chokita, I'm glad to hear the bathrooms were all right.

It's quite possible to take and pass all three CSET-MS subtests in one go, but it's also quite unnecessary unless program deadlines or one's own schedule dictate otherwise. (You already knew that, of course.)

Get some rest, and then make sure you do something to congratulate yourself for your hard work this morning (and for the studying before, of course).

Oh, and bear in mind that your score won't reflect whether you did well: it will reflect only that you passed. Which, by the way, given your posts, you probably did.

I hope you and the other test takers spend at least as much time thinking about what you did right as about what you might not have done right.

7. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

Is it Sunday yet?

I woke up late this morning (took a while for the pills to kick in ...:eek: ) and yip, panic set in :eek: . I raced to the test center, and a few were trickling in, so I just ran in, probably didn't hear what the test proctors at the door was saying, and all I wanted to do was to get into the right classroom (why do high schools have several stories?).

Chokita - I'm sure the proctor told us about not having cell phones, but just had too many things going through my head (I think I passed a red light :eek: ... well, glad it was early in the morning :D )

modgirl - subtest II is my weakest. I'm soooo scared!

Right now, us CSET test takers should think positive, and wait for the test scores. Is it 4 weeks? ugh ... 30 days and counting ...

8. Incanto270

Incanto270 Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

I took subtests I and III today at Cypress High School. The facilities were nice and indoors. :) I must say I'm feeling quite nervous and will be anxiously awaiting my test scores. :eek: I did alright on the practice exams, but I'm wondering how closely that will reflect my actual test scores. I hope everyone else did well!:angel:

9. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 20, 2007

I survived. . .did I pass subtest II I do not know but I feel more positive then I did the last time and I did not doodle for an answer. . ..my chances are higher I have that slight feeling I should still study math and science over the next month although my classes start this week for my credential program
    Stephanie

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

Breathe, please, people...

11. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 21, 2007

oh thank you for the reminder I sometimes forget to breath or sleep. . . .

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

People who are sweating bullets about standardized tests tend to do that. I hope you're going to take good care of yourself tonight, too.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2007

That's great to know the W.Hills test site is El Camino H.S.! Hopefully it is always there. I am taking all three tests in May and staying at my folks house a mile from ECR. That was my high school (I graduated in 1975!) Congratulations and good luck to everyone who took the January tests! ~ Katie

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2007

Sites do get shifted around, but if the high school's normally a test site, then the chances are fairly good that it will be in May. If it isn't, the site will probably be not very far away.

15. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 31, 2007

:confused:

Brookerjean - I'm sooooo sorry for missing your last Q brookerjean :eek:. Just zeroed in on your first one and forgot the last :sorry:

Yes, this was my first subtest (I figure '07 with my first subtest sounds like a start,). It was nerve-racking and a little scary too, but we'll see what the results says (got kinda annoying with all the sighing, huffing and puffings by the CSETers in the testing room. But that's ok, cause I did a lot too :D ... :eek: ).

I would have never mustered the courage to start off with subtest II. Math needs to be brushed up (esp fractions and word problems). I'm assuming that the word problems are not algebraic, but will involve basic math computations? I'm using Princeton Reviews Math made Easy from amazon. I bought other math books from Learning Express too, as it was helpful (I think i read that in the archives here somewhere).

As for science, will Boosalis be enough? I think this time, I'm going with the study guides, cause the college textbooks are just too dense for me. I borrowed the Cliffs from my library (i didn't know that they had some reserved :cool: ) and REA (but this one was a MSAT version. The history section looks good though). Also, has anyone heard about the science guide from Acuexams? I gather that the book is only for the science section for the CSET multiple.sub? Any thoughts about this? And yip, I'm using all the science websites that were suggested here. I've also got the 4, 5, the grade books, I ordered the Scholastic Science Homework. Will this be enough? Any former subtest II test takers, please advise ...

The wait for the scores are killing me.

This was me before the test:
    :)

This is me now:
    :tired: ...:eek: ...:mad: ... :p ...

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2007

For math and science, the best course is to play with 'em.

- Do math - lots of practice questions - and look for the patterns into which they fall. Be aware that there will be word problems, and problems in which it's up to you to figure out a solution you've never seen before. If you got through high school math in one piece, however, you should have more than enough computational tools.

- Do science: get hold of a really good kid's book in science, one that has hands-on experiments; do the experiments, make note of the principles they're supposed to illustrate, and think about how the experiments and the principles relate to things around you in The Real World.

Sounds like you've got some anxiety, there, SunnyDaisy. Could be you'd benefit from a good test-prep course.

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2007

Hi Sunny Daisy~
    I just got the DK science encyclo. from a used book seller at
    Barnes and Noble.com for 5$. Its wonderful. I also checked out one from National Geographic at the library, I think it was Illustrated ency. of science. Both really cool. I know that the Usbourne Sci. Ency. has been touted here, but I couldn't find it, or i could, on Amazon, but it wouldn't be delivered until March.
    I recently took 3 math classes so feel ok with that. See what kind of questions are on the sample test at the CSET website.
    Good luck to us all! ~
    Katie

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2007

Usborne's not delivering the Science Encyclopedia till March? That's irritating. Which DK science encyclopedia did you end up with? Pockets, or the e.encyclopedia? (You probably didn't get the one that just came out.) I think both of those don't mention mitosis vs. meiosis.

19. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2007

TG:
    I don't know. It just says The DK Science Encyclopedia, c.1994. Its hardcover 8 1/2 x 11 or so ~ let me check mitosis vs. meiosis...
    yes, under cell division, it talks about mitosis, where "two new nuclei are made, this kind of cell division is used for growth. Another kind of division, called meiosis occurs before sexuall reproduction only. It does not make identical cells" Not that indepth, but it's there.
    I couldn't find Usbourne at B&N, and on Amazon, found it used, and it was to be delivered in Jan., then just got an email, not available until end of March. So I cancelled the order. Maybe it is available elsewhere, I don't know.
    ~Katie

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2007

PS ~ Oh, yes, I see it at the Usbourne site now. I should have thought to look there. It looks like a good book.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2007

Older math books are generally all right, but, other things being equal, the more recent a science book, the better: things keep getting discovered and invented and all...

Check out mitosis and meiosis here: http://www.cellsalive.com/

22. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Feb 1, 2007

TG, thanks for the advice. I feel comfortable with the math (again, I think I'll benefit from brushing up), but it's just the few other math problems I feel will either make or break the passing score for subtest II. From what I hear from other test takers, I think we need to go beyond basic math and know some advanced algebra and geometry to answer some of the intermediate-advance problems. Can anyone else verify this?

TG, the real-world advice sounds good. I guess I'll painstakingly go through each subject, and write down real life applications :eek: .

:rolleyes: (Hmm. More hours in the library, more coffee in my system .... ) ~*~PooOfFff~*~

Oh, sorry ...

Katrinkakat - sounds like good resources. I too didn't have luck with the Usborne (thank god it's not just me :D ), but the National Geographics sounds good. I'll go ahead and do a search. Yikes, I need to watch my wallet, b/c with all that money I could buy some much needed jeans -I mean- science guides. ;)

I went ahead and downloaded the subtest. I'm actually saving it until I'm done studying for the math and science. Off to another long night of school work and studying.:tired:

(looking for remote control ...)

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2007

Advanced algebra? Not. Take a look at the sample questions for Subtest II, the ones in the test guide. If the question and answer involving the Pythagorean theorem make sense to you, you're probably in good shape.

As to your "painstakingly" riff, cuuuute. Seriously, though: as you're going through life, take a couple seconds to look for the connections. ("Man, that latte's hot. Oh, hey: conduction! And the steam rises; must be less dense than the surrounding air.") The idea is to detoxify the subject and the study.

24. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Feb 10, 2007

Bumpity, bump, bump

Do results come in next, next week? :(

Or is it next week? :eek:

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2007

CSET scores are due to be issued Feb. 20.

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2007

Hi everyone,
    Here is a good used book site I found www.alibris.com

I found a book I really like on California History there for 2.99 plus shipping, (I had previously checked it out from library so I knew I wanted it). Also, they had a beginning teachers handbook that I was trying to copy all of the ideas out of it before I returned it. So I got my own, also 2.99 (plus 3 something shipping) The books I have gotten from there are in perfect condition.
    Teacher Groupie, I will check out the cells link. Thank you. I found that the DK science encyclo that I have has another page describing meiosis vs. metosis that went into greater depth.
    I am really enjoying all of this studying. I am not taking the test until May, so I'm sure I'll be ready.
    I had a dream the other night tho, all of the questions were completely unrecognizable, the constructed response questions
    were way off the wall, and then we only had one hour for the whole thing. I was really glad when I woke up and realized it was a dream!

27. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2007

oops, make that Mitosis...

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

Really enjoying the studying, katrinkakat? Cool! That's a fairly good predictor of success on the test - especially if you find yourself applying the knowledge out of the context of both the book and the test.

29. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 11, 2007

Katrinkakat,
    What was the name of the book on California history?

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

Could it be this one by Kevin Starr? California: A History (Modern Library, 2005, ISBN 0679642404). This is a distillation of Starr's award-winning multi-volume history of the state.

31. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2007

Nope, it's actually T.H. Watkins, California, an illustrated History.
    There are great photos; it's really helping me grasp Calif. history.

32. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 11, 2007

Thanks! I didn't grow up in California, so I'm paying close attention to what my own kids are learning and have learned. I'll check into that book as well. I'll be taking the cset in May, too. I may take sections 1 and 3 together. We'll see, though.

33. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2007

Oh, I grew up in the bay area, and also the LA area. I was born in Sacramento! Right now I live in Palmdale, CA. Anyway, the Kevin Starr books do seem to get great reviews! The library has a lot of resources to check out, too.
    Good luck to both of us in May!
    ~Katie

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

katrinkakat, could I trouble you for a publication year for the Watkins book?

jd123, you might look up the California Historical Society on Google: the CHS Web site includes an illustrated timeline.

By the way, Subtests I and III make a fairly happy combination: there are lots of connections between reading/language/literature and history, on the one hand, and the arts on the other.

35. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 11, 2007

I have my MA in linguistics, so I'm comfortable with that part of the cset. There are some parts of history I have to brush up on. I think I have to learn all about the Kushite culture, just in case there are 3 or 4 questions about that! BTW, Katrinkakat, I'm in Santa Clarita. Too bad there's not a test site closer to us. Or is there one in the Antelope Valley that I didn't see on the list?

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

Linguistics is good; watch out for the reading terminology, too.

As to the history: three or four questions on Kush, there won't be.

37. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

Registered today for Subtest II for March 17th. Anybody with me?

By the way, they still have El Camino Real HS as a CSET location. I remember somebody asked about that before.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

Take breaks during testing, please, people!

39. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

I'm waiting until May.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

Not that long a break - !