*~*~ Official 2007 CSET MS Test ~*~*

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by SunnyDaisy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Dec 31, 2006

Thank you for visiting!
    Just thought that we could start a thread for students studying for the CSET multiple subject test for 2007.

Let's use this thread for support ;) 'cause it'll be here before you know it.

Feel free to post questions, concerns, study tips, score reports and a place to vent.

----

Let me start ...
    I'm in the process of signing up for subtest 3 (my strength), but truthfully, I'm a little nervous and don't know where to start for subtest 1 and especially subtest 2 (my weak area). I'm hearing and reading about how students are having to retake these tests over and over, and I really feel for them. (Personally, I feel these tests are just rediculous, and I know a lot of incredible teachers who are being denied an opportunity to teach because of these tests. Ok-that's all the vent .... for now.)

How would one go about preparing for subtest 1? There is sooo much to learn that I really don't know where to start. I have textbooks that I'm reading through, and at this pace, it will take months before I feel I'll be ready (esp the history). How did you guys pass this section? Did you start chronologically, or did you focus only on the major historic events?

How about subtest 2? I feel my math is fine (could use some tweaking here and there), but I'm at a loss on how to prepare for the science section. I bought the Usborne science books that Teachergroupie suggested, and I feel they are helping me out, but some of those questions are out there.

Any helpful advice would be fantastic.
    (I apologize if there are any awkward sentences-it's almost 3 in the morning and the coffee is wearing off :rolleyes: )

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2006

First, please stop telling yourself the test is ridiculous: that message gives your brain an excuse not to do well, and that's not helpful.

Second, if you're good at Subtest III, you have strengths that can help you with the other two subtests. So look for connections between what you know and what you don't. PE has lots of connections with science: think muscles, think Newton's laws of motion, think simple machines... Visual & performing arts connect with Subtest I: the tools one uses to interpret artworks are the same tools one uses to interpret poems and prose, and the artworks of a period of time reflects what's going on historically, economically, technologically, and so on.

Do bear in mind that each subtest is scored holistically: if you don't do so well in one domain and/or in one type of test task (multiple choice, constructed response), you can still pass with a strong performance in other aspects.

Whereabouts in the state are you located?

4. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Dec 31, 2006

I need to correct myself: it's 'ridiculous' not 'rediculous' :D . My mistake.:eek:

You're right teachergroupie. I need to have a more positive mindset about these tests. Thanks for pointing that out.
    (I live in Los Angeles btw)

And I agree with you about using connections. I'll incorporate that into my studies. I recently enrolled in a CSET test prep course, and the instructor did mention that making connections, creating themes, and seeing the whole picture, as opposed to small discrete details will help out in the memorization process.

I could see how that might work with science ...
    Ex: Cells -> Organs --> Organ Systems --> Ecology

Hope I'm on the right track ...

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2007

On the right track, yes. And ecology is in part about how organisms occupy various niches: it's not a huge stretch to see how ecology could be used as an analogy for politics or even classroom behavior management, and vice versa.

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 2, 2007

i found visiting the museum at exposition park a great way to make connections. . .There are three free museums and then the natural history museum. The air and space, science center and african american. I'm going back tomorrow making those connections have helped me greatly.

Stephanie

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2007

Yes, indeed, anewstart101. And don't forget to use those connections while you're testing: the history answer you don't know directly could come to you by way of art or science or a whole chain of associations.

SunnyDaisy, please go and do likewise: Exposition Park in Los Angeles has some fine places to play with ideas. Think of this as a way to study when you just can't face the books for another minute - or when you need to combine study time and social/family time. Consider also the Page Museum and the LA County Museum of Art, both right there at the La Brea Tar Pits, and - if it's reopened yet - the observatory and the science center with it in Griffith Park.

A good way to find useful museums in one's area is to Google using a search term like "museums kids" - you can add words to narrow down the search to just science or art or whatever.

8. hellokitty

hellokitty Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

I am just about to prepare for the test, but dont even know how to start....should i just buy a guide book to study or any other suggestion ? Since i just moved into this country not long ago (was a teacher in my own country), and wasnt bein educated here, things like history and literature stuff are really new to me...will it be helpful if i go back to high school education again ?
    please give me some suggestion

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2007

If I've already asked you where in the state you're located, hellokitty, kindly take pity on me and tell me again.

Test prep books are among the possibilities. You'll find comments and some suggestions on earlier threads about CSET-MS on A to Z: you can get to them by scrolling to the top of this page. To the left of the Welcome message that says when you last visited and all that, you'll find a sequence of links. Click on the link for "Multiple Subject Tests" and that will take you to a list of current and past threads. Browse among them to find insights into CSET-MS itself and into the subject areas it covers.

You can also navigate to the Multiple Subject Tests subforum by using the Forum Jump tool all the way at the bottom of the page.

10. hellokitty

hellokitty Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

SD

Hi hi,

I am in San Diego !!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2007

Me too.

12. hellokitty

hellokitty Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

SD

:p ...just moved here..
    live in poway now !

13. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

Hi hellokitty
    I'm in the same situation as you. Where do we start? :confused:

I know this might not be the most popular route, but I'm checking out textbooks (those heavy ones) at my school library, and yes, reading what will be tested.:eek: I'll approach the studying/memorization method by making connections with the material (oh, and yes, I'll visit the museums that you suggested teachergroupie :cool:

You can check out the study guides at amazon or B&N, and if you do, I would recommend Boosalis (but that's just my opinion). It's a good idea if you steer away from some of the online companies -whose name I won't mention ( ...teachingsolutions, momedia, acethecset ....:D ). But seriously, there's a lot to know, so I thought I come in COMPLETELY prepared. That's just my take ... Please chime in with your suggestions ....

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2007

And post your questions here, please.

15. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

Heh, my last post came a few mins late :rolleyes: (Thanks teachergroupie)

Oh, I have relatives in San Diego. Great, clean city to live in. Always developing, very upscale. :cool:

16. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 2, 2007

I would like to move to san diego. . . .once I get my credential.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

Better hope all the old fogeys start retiring, then...

18. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 3, 2007

I am looking to go into special education and I seem to find lots of job opportunities

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

Oh, that's a different matter.

20. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 3, 2007

Art History

How much detail will we have to know about this section? Do we have to know how to be able to interpret artwork? Dates? Where it was made? Are there a lot of questions from this subject? I guess what I'm trying to get at is how one would approach this subject.

The art history textbook is very thick...:(

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

How to interpret, sure. The tools are rather like the tools we use to interpret literature, actually: look for familiar symbols; look for the message; be able to pick out details that support your interpretation and cite them in your answer.

The art history textbook is indeed very thick. Use it as a flipbook: "Oh, yeah, Renaissance art looks more or less like this... and what it's about isn't always religious."

Subtest III consists of 39 multiple choice questions and 3 constructed response questions, divided evenly among human development, PE, and visual and performing arts. Some versions of this subtest stress visual art more than others, but no version focuses solely on visual art as opposed to music, theatre, or dance.

22. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

Night at the Museum

Can anyone recommend a good website, or post a link that gives a good overview of modern-day art history (architecture, paintings, etc)? So many school of arts, styles to know. Hm. I don't know if this is ... well ... overkill. Guess just trying to be thorough.;)

Good luck to everyone who'll be taking the test this month!:angel:

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

24. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

Many thanks Teachergroupie. I'll be perusing through the pics on that website - and there's so many of them :eek: Well, better get started.

TG, you've taken the CSET, right? Can't you start a little study forum with us here? Post some practice q's about subtest III (art history ... for now :D : not the test questions) so we can read. I don't know, just a thought ...

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

Treat them as a flipbook - figure out what it is to YOUR eyes that makes Renaissance paintings look different from Gothic, from Baroque, etc. And I mean in fairly broad outline, very generally. It doesn't hurt to know the half-dozen Big Names that are associated with each period - know they're associated, I mean: you don't necessarily need to be able to identify their artworks.

You'll get good mileage out of knowing the design principles of art and the names for the elements of a particular art and being able to apply them when discussing an artwork that the test presents to you.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

As to your specific request, give me a bit, okay? Or ask one of your own from the online Test Guide.

27. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jan 14, 2007

I just looked at the sample test on-line. I know so little about music. Writing a constructed response to a music question has me worried.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2007

Ah. Seems to me we dealt with CSET-MS music questions some time ago - can't remember who the other poster was, but you might try searching the archive for "CSET music".

In Arts questions, design principles that appear in all the arts are important - and in music, the biggies are repetition and rhythm. Think about a children's song you know - say, "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Take a pencil and tap out the pattern that the notes make: that's rhythm. It should be pretty easy to keep up with the rhythm in a children's song - we don't want lots of fussy sixteenth and thirty-second notes a la Handel. Now hum the song: the melody goes down and then it goes up again, and the first five notes show up again later in the song. That's repetition. And if you saw "Mary Had a Little Lamb" written out in musical notation, you'd see exactly the pattern of notes that's written in the first two to three measures showing up about halfway through the song. Which means it's less important to be able to Read Music than it is to be able to recognize a visual pattern.

Does that help?

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 15, 2007

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's this Saturday! Time seemed to be crawling...up until this point!

I'm signed up to take my LAST (thank goodness!) subtest...#1. I've studied for most of it, except the history part which I'm going to focus on this whole week. I like history...but I've never been much for remembering the sequence of events or dates... :/ Oh boy.

But I really need to pass this time, or next...because then I will have reached my deadline to fill out an application to student teach in my credential!!! ahhhhh....

GOOD LUCK to all that are taking it this time around...!

30. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 15, 2007

Hello!
    Can anyone explain in simple terms the difference between a major and a minor in music? If they give me a piece of the music written on a staff, how can I recognize if a key signature is in minor or in major?
    I know I would need it if they ask to analyze a piece of music on the CSET MS III.

31. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 15, 2007

MissWull, oh I understand you! I'm taking subtests I and III this Saturday in Los Angeles (Woodland Hills area). Planning to take subtest II in March. These are the only 2 attempts I have left before I can apply for a teaching credential program! Please help me, God!

32. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jan 15, 2007

How many attempts can you take? Do people usually take the whole thing at once, then retake only the subsets that they didn't pass? About the music, my husband helped me look at the constructed response. He mentioned the simple melody, like TeacherGroupie mentioned. Ok, I can write that the music is simple enough for kids to sing and memorize, but how could I elaborate enough to get a full answer? I will look at the archives, as well as other posts to see which study guides to use. I found the Princeton Review's book to be helpful for the CBEST.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2007

MissWull, knowing sequence of events - with causes and consequences - will get you farther than knowing dates, and it's more interesting in addition.

Chokita, CSET-MS doesn't expect the test taker to be able to look at a piece of music and hear the melody in his or her head. (Some professional musicians can do that, but by no means all, and most singers have no idea whatsoever whether the piece is major or minor till they start singing it.)

The difference between major and minor scales is in how they sound. Major scales sound happy and bouncy (mostly); minor scales tend to sound more plaintive or blues-y. For a piece of music that shifts from one to the other, listen to Beethoven's "Sonata Pathetique" (http://www.archive.org/details/BeethovenPathetiqueSonata), which begins in a major key, then shifts to minor, then back to major again.

As to key signatures, it's enough if you can identify C major (no sharps or flats), F major, B flat major, E flat major (one, two, and three flats, respectively), and G major, D major, and A major (one, two, and three sharps, respectively).

jd123, the way to elaborate the answer is to identify and name - from the piece of music, and using the appropriate technical terms - the respects in which it's simple enough for kids. It needs not to stretch their little vocal cords too far: that's range. (We like eight notes or fewer, and we like not to have great big jumps from note to note all the time.) It needs not to be too complicated with very, very long and very, very short notes: that's rhythm. (We like whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, and a sprinkling of eighth notes. We don't like thirty-second notes.) It's helpful if bits here and there are like other bits here and there: that's repetition, and if the whole beginning is like the whole end, that could also be balance.

Find a kid's song and try describing it this way, hm?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2007

Oh, I forgot jd123's first and second questions.

You can retake CSET subtests as many times as you can stand to. Some people take the whole thing at once and pass; some people take the whole thing at once, then chip away at the subtests they didn't pass on that first go; some people take just one or two subtests on the first go, then clean up the rest later... There is no one right way to take CSET-MS, any more than there is one right way to study for CSET-MS (though, as you're aware by now, I have strong feelings about better and worse ways...)

Have some chocolate, dear.

35. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jan 15, 2007

Oh, TG, I look forward to your comments! Thanks!! I looked at the archives and found some prefered study guides, websites, etc. Now for another important question about preferences.... dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2007

Yes.

37. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 15, 2007

As always, TeacherGroupie, you're very helpful! I think your posts work better than any chocolate (plus I'm on the diet)!

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2007

Utterly untrue, Chokita, but very - um, sweet? - of you.

How about a really nice cup of tea?

39. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

Saturday Test Takers

Good luck to all CSET test takers this Saturday. Thank you everyone for helping out with subtest iii. I really do feel that the test questions will target the info everyone shared.

Now if I can just get some sleep...

40. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 19, 2007

Well, as for me, I'm done studying. As soon as my husband gets home from work, we'll go out to a nice restaurant with a couple of friends and maybe I'll have a glass of wine. I need to relax!

Good luck to you, SunnyDaisy, and to all other test-takers!

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

Chokita, you've got the right idea. Hope you had/are having a pleasant and relaxing meal.

SunnyDaisy, I hope you took a walk or something...