Office Max laminating today

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by grade2rocks, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I went in to school on Tuesday specifically to laminate all my new stuff (I'm a new teacher) and then work on cutting it out, and found that the roll on the laminator was empty...and no more anywhere to be found... :eek:hmy: My mentor teacher said I'd have to check with the principal to see if they had ordered more laminate...but seriously, why would they not order this because don't many teachers do a lot of laminating before school starts? :unsure:

But anyway, glad I checked my trusty forum and heard about the free lamination...dropped off a bunch of stuff today and found out that it will be about a week. So a happy ending even if I have to wait! :)

2. txtchr

txtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Wow! That is awesome!! I'll have to go to my room and gather stuff!! What publicity for them!!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

I dropped off my things to be laminated at OM today at 11:00 and picked it up at about 7:00. I didn't need a coupon and they didn't even ask to see my teacher ID. The quality of the material is way better than what we have at school. They said they would offer free lamination until the end of September.

4. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Turns out my stuff is already finished! They earned a loyal customer from me.... plus for signing up I got a $10 off $25 purchase coupon. So cool!

5. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 9, 2007

WOW that is super fast...last thursday I dropped off my stuff at 1100 and it wasn't ready until Sunday. Today I dropped off my stuff at 8:00 am and she said it would be ready sometime this weekend.

Oh well. It's free, I'm happy.:wub:

6. lorac

lorac Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

We have teacher aides and I don't need most of the stuff I'm laminating right away, so in a few weeks when the aides are bored, I'm going to have them cut out my laminating! :)

7. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 9, 2007

your hands will thank you :2up:

8. lorac

lorac Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Our aides won't. ;) I may never get them to do a thing for me again! :)

9. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Got a call tonight (after I returned from a trip there) that my stuff from last week is done. Bless their hearts is all I can say!!

Cutting it out at the beginning of the year.... Wanta hear a super cheat story? I only cut out what I NEED in the beginning. At orientation night I have it sectioned and wrapped with rubber bands. Plus I have file folder games copied and ready to color. I ask for parent volunteers who are already wanting homework. Often you can get a few suckers, I mean ... volunteers. There, you have help already!

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 9, 2007

Thanks so much! I didn't get to post it earlier today.... of course, I went in with my trusty coupon and my proof of being a teacher and a bag full of stuff, and they didn't ask me for anything. Just took the bag, had me write down my name and phone number and when I would like it back, and that was that. Figures!! All that stress for nothing. :) But I would have been nervous to bother them if I didn't have that coupon in my hand.

12. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Do you need the coupon and ID?

13. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

No coupon...it works just fine. I went in this morn. with a bag full of stuff...and the guy didn't even blink. Said he had a cust come in with 8 bags last Thursday. So I am guessing they really don't care. It is so nice of them...I am in ♥ with office max at the moment. Can we only drop off things once or can I take another batch next thursday???

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

That's what I want to know too.

15. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

i brought in a big bag of stuff yesterday too, it should be done on Sunday they said. i didn't need the coupon. I don't know why you couldn't bring in more next week. I did yesterday's order in my husband's name because he is a teacher too. If its a problem next week I can just use my name. Otherwise I will go to a differennt office max - luckily we have a few around here. the one thing I was disappointed with is that they wouldn't laminate my folders because they thought they were too thick - they were just the simple ones Target had for 10 cents each - no prongs or anything. No biggie though. :) Love free laminating!!!

16. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

sorry if i'm repeating (too lazy to read through all four pages!) but when i stopped by office max yesterday, the manager was super nice and spent about ten minutes talking to me about their Perks Program for teachers... apparently you can register online and print out school supply lists for your kids. For every $100 spent, you get a $10 credit. That's what I've understood, haven't actually signed up yet, so forgive me if I'm wrong about a detail or two. He also told me they are having some special teacher events on the 25-27th of August where they'll have some giveaways and discounts, so ASK next time you get stuff laminated!!

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

Yesterday they laminated 25 pocket folders for me and they were the ones with the prongs. They turned out great and I already have then cut out. I guess it depends on the people working there. Do you have another OM near by that you could try?

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

I dropped off tons yesterday and they called today at 3 to tell me it was done. I went in and I asked for the receipt this time because I wanted to see what it would have cost....it was $470!!!! FREEEE!!!!!
    They said I had over 200 feet of lamination done!! I love them!!!!

They didn't carry that tool for cutting out stuff so that was a bummer but they told me to look in a fabric store for one...I'll go to JoAnn's tomorrow.
    I AM NOT attempting this trimming with scissors!! My fingers would fall off for sure!!
    I had to put my rolls in a storage closet because my cat thought I brought her home some cool scratching posts!!! Can you imagine???? Beware cat owners!! Hide the lamination!! LOL

19. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Wow, and I thought my bill of $126 was impressive! My thumb already hurts and I'm not even half way done. I plan to drop off some next Thursday for folder games, and will definately invest in that cool cutter thing. I'm going to check Office Depot for it when I go there next week since it's on their website.

20. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I know the feeling. My cat doesn't scratch things. Instead she likes to chew. I can't tell you how many pictures she has ruined!

21. WindyCityGal606

Aug 10, 2007

LOL!!
    I found the paper cutting item in a coupon book from Office Max!! Those tricksters told me they don't carry it!!! I shall return tomorrow!!

22. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

Oooh! Let us know where those are located in the store.

23. WindyCityGal606

Aug 10, 2007

Did you try to find one too?

24. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

No, in fact I didn't know there was a special cutter. I'd just like to know where that cutter is when I go pick up my stuff next week.

25. WindyCityGal606

Aug 10, 2007

Okie dokie!! Will do!:) I heard that's it's only good for cutting straight lines though. I'll try it and let you know!

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

I saw it. :haha:

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

:hijack:

UGH. Don't even get me started. J/K :wub:

Okay, back to topic!!!!

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

They asked me when I am coming back!!!!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ I thought I was annoying by bringing in my really heavy bag full of things to laminate! I guess not! :wub:

29. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I am in North Carolina, but I just looked at this site. There are some neat ideas that I could still use and WILL be using! Thanks for the link! :)

30. PreKTeacher1964

PreKTeacher1964 New Member

Aug 18, 2007

Hint for BB Letters

I am not sure if Office Max would laminate just plain construction paper but if they do it is great for letters. After I laminate the plain construction paper I use the Ellison machine at school or my Sizzix machine to cut our letters. It works great and I don't have to trim.

31. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2007

When I dropped my stuff off Thursday evening the guy at our OM said that that store had already done $70,000 dollars worth of free laminating!! He did not seem to mind my large bag of learning centers! At my OM they said I could bring as much as I want and come back every week if I wanted to.

32. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I did NOT have a good experience with my OM. They said that it was going to be AT LEAST a WEEK! :( They hadn't even finished things that were from last week. To top it off they were very unpleasant!

33. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Aug 18, 2007

The girl at the laminating center wasn't all that pleasant when I dropped my stuff off a couple of weeks ago either...and I overheard her telling a coworker that she hoped that OfficeMax wouldn't do this again. And after I trimmed all my lamination (and I was careful to leave lamination around the edges), the seal on many of my laminated things was broken and the plastic was peeling off of the back...I ended up having to run them through the laminator again, which meant that I also had to trim many things again... :( I don't like to complain when it's a free service they don't have to do, but I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience?

And I wonder if OfficeMax will do this promo again...did they realize how much stuff teachers laminate, especially when it's for free?

34. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

That's funny. I took like 15 centers there the other day and some other stuff and the girl was very happy to do it once again. She did say though that they changed the rules as far as making every teacher that brings in laminating sign up for the Max Perks card. They didn't make me do that last time. Other than that, things were cool. To top it off, she told me that it would take about a week to get the stuff back, but if she gets to it she'll call. About 2 hours later, she called to say that my things were done!:D Now that's customer service. It's a shame that some people work in customer service but don't know how to be courteous. I'm sorry that those rude people are giving OM a bad name.

35. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2007

One person at the OM where I go was very unpleasant to another teacher at my school. She was planning on calling the manager, to let them know. They have all been really nice when I have been there.

36. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

My OM ran out of laminate. It took over a week to get mine back because they had to wait for a shipment of laminate. When I unrolled it all, I was shocked at how much laminate was wasted. There was so much space between each item. Otherwise I'm happy it was free. I saved $350!!

37. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Aug 18, 2007

[/QUOTE] I saved $350!![/QUOTE]

MEE TOO!!! That was just the first batch!!!!

38. WindyCityGal606

Aug 19, 2007

That's a shame that this person was not representing OM the way it intends. Maybe you need to make a call/email to corporate. Most of us all around the USA have been getting the most courteus and friendly service from our customer service people. I know it's not easy to smile when you have to do all that laminating but most of them do and they encourage us to keep bringing more the following week. She needs a "talking to". As teachers we get frustrated, irritated, and are overworked but we know we had better make sure our complaints don't reach the ears of administrations or parents. For you to overhear her comment...that's unacceptable on her part and it needs correcting from her boss. What's fair is fair.

39. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

I plan on gathering more stuff and heading over. Hopefully I'll have some parents who would be willing to help cut some out. I already spent 3 hours cutting and it looks like I hardly made a dent! I had to cut the most important stuff I need asap. It's quality, so I know it will last for a long time! Big time saver later on.

40. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 19, 2007

You may want to talk to you OM because a teacher from my school dropped off her stuff and found out that ours does the free laminated YEAR ROUND!!!!!! We're really excited since we don't have a machine. My first order took a week and a half, but would've cost $274!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.