Office Max laminating today

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by grade2rocks, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks to someone's heads up earlier this week on these boards, I just dropped off laminating at Office Max. It must be dropped off Aug.2, and you are supposed to show proof of being an educator. I dropped off 30 folders, nametags, locker tags and six posters, and he didn't blink an eye at the amount.
    You do have to do your own trimming (big deal!).

They said they would even have it done today.

I think it is amazing of Office Max to offer this.

3. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I dropped my stuff off today too. I had 60 folders, 10 large posters, 10 small posters, 36 name plates, and some little bulletin board things. I could go back at 3 to get it, but since our tax free weekend starts tomorrow I told her I'd be back tomorrow for it:) I did need any proof of being a teacher and I got a nice surprise - it's teacher appreciation time so I got my lunch box filled with goodies. They are my favorite store right now:D

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

I dropped off tons of stuff today for myself and another teacher who had to be at a workshop. They didn't ask for any proof I was a teacher and said it would be done in a couple of hours. What a deal!

5. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 2, 2007

WHAT?????????? My Office Max said I could bring in one thing a day to be laminated. You ladies are SOOOOO lucky!!!

:(

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

Its amazing how each store varies. I'll have to check out mine today to see just how much their limit is. I have TONS of activity cards from all my reading center games from Florida Center for Reading Research.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

I don't know if I am hijacking this thread, but I'll go for it. Since laminating is so difficult for most of us to accomplish at school, I bought a laminator from Walmart that will laminate pages up to 81/2 x 11. I also bought pouches online at a really reasonable price. I can laminate workbook pages, centers, etc. Little317 talked about her centers from FCRR. I have downloaded and laminated those, as well. Not only does it save on copying because the pages can be reused, but it gives me lots of flexibility for teaching.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

YES! Its great for differentiating instruction. This is the biggest thing nowadays. Some of the games are really cute. There is a sight word baseball game. The board is so boring looking. I went ahead and made my own board, but at least I had an idea to start from. Today I have to change my to-do list at school to simply going through theactivities to get everything ready to laminate. It's a good thing I cleaned out my car :D

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I know someone said the corporate's rules are one piece per Thursday, but it doesn't say that on the online coupon. That was going to be my argument if they hadn't take everything, but they did!!!

10. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

I just called the office max near home and they said no limit. That's gonna save me a bunch!

11. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I called up there AGAIN (I had called last week when they told me one thing per day) and today they told me no limit!!!!!

12. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 2, 2007

They lady goes "its 3 mm so it's the really thin stuff" (lamination)...should I be worried about that?

13. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

Right! To me it's just something that protects my things so they will last longer.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

Office Max is too far away from me-about an hour drive! But my school laminates things, so I should be able to get everything done there. If not, I'm gonna wish I had driven the hour to Office Max.

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

Before I go...Do I need to write my last name on the back of EVERY single item? Or can I just put everything in a large envelop that has my name on it? I have quite a few small items and the thought of putting my name on every item seems daunting.

16. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Oh no, I didn't put my name on anything....:blush:

17. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I called in and they said no limit and it will be on to the sept 13 thank you so much to everyone who gave us heads up on this:)

18. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I just got $46 worth of stuff laminated and I am soooooo excited!! There was no limit and I got my stuff back right away! There wasn't even a line! I didn't want to take too much on the first day, but next Thursday will be an awesome day!!!:2up:

19. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I took a HUGE bag of stuff today! No limit, yipee! No name on it, I filled out a little form and they stapled a copy of it to the bag. My Office Max was packed though and they told me a week for it! They were also out of "goody bags".

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

I went first thing this morning with 30 folders and they were SO NICE! They even gave me cookies. :) They did it while I waited and he even trimmed a few of them for me. I trimmed the rest with their awesome roller trimmer thingie - so much faster than my scissors.

I thought the film was very nice. Much thicker than what we use at school. I usually have to replace my folders once or twice during the school year. I don't think I'll have to this time!

I got my folders for one cent a piece at Staples and go them laminated for free at Office Max. :whistle: Can't beat that!

The manager told me he googled their free laminating and was amused by how many message boards it had been posted on! :lol:

One other teacher came in while I was there trimming my folders. She had a big bag full of posters and things.

I can't wait to get into my classroom and gather some more things!

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

I am so bummed that the Office Max 3 minutes from my house closed last year. :(

22. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I'm bummed too! I'm teaching (and a housemaster) at a summer school for the gifted and it's a summer camp. My teaching requires me to be there all day and the housemaster position requires me to be here all night - I get off for 24 hours on Saturday starting on 7:00pm and need to be back by 7:00pm Sunday. :( Otherwise - we aren't allowed to leave. I feel like I'm a prisoner! :lol:

23. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I just got back from picking up my big load of stuff from Office Max. The sales associate told me if I had to pay for it, it would have cost $800.00!!! yikes....Thank goodness for free laminating Thursdays! I told him I'd see him again next week :)

24. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 2, 2007

WOW $800 and I thought I took a lot of stuff up there! They told me mine wouldn't be ready until Saturday at 5..but if it was ready sooner they would call me. I'm kinda worried about my stuff getting mixed up with other people's stuff. :unsure:

25. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I didn't take everything that I needed done, I figured there HAD to be a limit. I am with someone who said "I can't wait to gather more stuff and head back"!! I have used them before and it's thicker than what we use too, LOVE it for games & such that are used alot!! Beats waiting behind oodles of other teachers at school the first few weeks.

I got folders @ Office Max for a penny, limit 10. I'm gonna make my hubby go back with me tonight and tomorrow night (and maybe the next night) to get more!! Nothing like a good deal!

26. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Office Max just called. They wrecked a couple of my homework folders- got stuck in the machine or something. So they got new folders, typed up new labels to look like mine ("homework folder", bring back" and "Leave at home") and made up replacements. Unbelievable!

27. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I am so jealous :( I want an office max.. we have office depo I wonder if they do things like this??

28. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I want to drop off folders next Thursday.
    My question is are you laminating the pocket folders or the pocket with 3 prongs folders?
    Also, how do you use the pockets after it's all been laminated together?
    I have 60 pocket folders with the 3 prongs. Can I do those or do I need to buy the pocket only folders? HELP!!:unsure:

29. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

You open them when you laminate them. Then you use scissors or razor blade to slit the pockets back open. I read somewhere on a thread here the people do them with prongs. I have never tried it though.

I just put my new ink cartridges in that I bought today while dropping off my laminating. They were "office max brand" and recycled and refilled. When I put them in, they weren't even half full. Ugh!! I called and they said to bring them back with my receipt. I had thrown it away already and just spent 20 minutes digging through trash that was already taken out and in the "big can". Ugh!! I'm glad they'll replace them, but what a hassle. I think I'll stick to buying new name brand ones.

30. WindyCityGal606

Aug 2, 2007

Thank you!!
    One more concern...after you slit the pockets open, are they safe or might kids get a paper/plastic cut? OUCH!!

That's awful about the ink cartridges. I go to Cartridge World for refills! Bring in your old ones and they fill them up or if they are worn out, they give you a brand new one of their brands at the same price. I've never been cheated on ink with them. I think it's $15 for b&w and $18 for color.

31. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I have done that with my folders for the past 4 years- the kids have just as much of a chance of getting cut from a regular, unlaminated folder.

32. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I went today and dropped off 3-4 posters, a calendar set, some take it to your seat centers, ABC letters, centers signs, and other miscellaneous items. They got it all done today. The laminate is heavier duty than what I get at school so hopefully they will hold up longer. The sales clerk made no mention of a limit. I am glad I went thanks to hearing about it here! Now I have less to do at school and the long line there!

33. WindyCityGal606

Aug 2, 2007

Thank you!
    Do you use the 2 pocket with prongs or without?

34. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I believe I am going next Thursday. It would have been a little bit of longer drive this morning, and I haven't felt too great all day. I know by next Thursday, though, the classroom will be done and I'll be feeling more relaxed. :) I think I am going to try to relax from next Wednesday forward.

I will also call the Office Max to see what they offer for us.

35. Teacher807

Teacher807 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I am not sure they will laminate the folders with prongs because it could damage the machine. I took pocket folders with prongs and took the middle part with the prongs out. Then I got them laminated at Office Max today. I already cut them apart and used an exacto knife to cut the pockets open. All I have left to do is staple the prongs back in.

36. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I dropped my stuff today. It won't be done until tomorrow. I didnt get any other goodies like lunch bags and stuff but I'm happy with the free laminating.

37. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Is it free???

38. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

Do you have a Staples near you? They will match, just bring the coupon.

39. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

I use two pocket with prongs :)

40. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I went yesterday after driving an hour to go to the nearest teacher supply store to buy some things. I thought I would go ahead and get the laminating done (thanks to this message board--i love it!!!). The person there told me that the coupon states they have a week to get it done. Anyone else have this problem?
    So, needless to say, I missed out. I attempted to explain my situation, but it didn't help. Oh well. I went back to the teacher store and laminated it myself.
    Congrats to everyone who got theirs done.

41. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Do you need it sooner than that? I dropped mine off yesterday about 10:30 and she told me it wouldn't be ready until Saturday at 5. Did they say it would TAKE a week, or they HAD a week?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.