Office Max Laminating Rocks!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by uclalum, Aug 9, 2007.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 9, 2007

I just wanted to say that I went to OM to drop off my stuff. I didn't bring too many things (about 30 items). The nice man did it right then and there. The purpose of my post is to let everyone know the quality of the laminating. It is incredible!!! It is the really thick stuff. It is super glossy too! I am very pleased!

3. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Aug 11, 2007

How much is it? Is it cheaper than Holcomb's Knowplace -- the teacher store?

4. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Its free on Thursdays until Sept. 13. Apparently, you can bring as much as you want. Unfortuantely, I don't have one close to me. I would have to go to York, PA in order to take advantage of the offer.

5. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Aug 11, 2007

It is such a great deal! The office max near me is not that close but was so worth the drive!

6. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Aug 11, 2007

How wide can your items be? We have free use of the laminator at school but I have a US map I really want laminated (I'm using it for a Flat Stanley Project) and it won't fit on the one at school. WHat else could I use to protect this map..it was only 3.99 but if I can make it last more than once...I am all for it!

7. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

It can be as wide as a basic poster. (I have no idea the exact measurement of those) I took a ton of stuff the first Thursday and have 5 tons (he he he) to go back this coming Thursday. It is SUPER thick and perfect for games & such! No limit~ Gather your stuff and take advantage while you can!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

The size limit is about 23 inches, because the machine is only 25 inches wide. If your poster is bigger than that. You can oder clear contact paper online that is wide enough.....then lay the contact paper, sticky side up on a large flat surface. Have someone help you lay the map flat on the contact paper. Then repeat to cover the other side.

9. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

I am planning on going on Thursday after school (no students yet, but our first day back)..

What did you bring your posters into the store in?

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 11, 2007

I brought everything in a big clear bag from Island Teacher and Art Supply. It was huge enough to fit my posters. All of my little stuff I put in a smaller grocery store bag inside the large bag. I didn't even bother taking the things like nameplates and die cut bees and such out of their packaging! I figured it would be easier for them to have them all together than to have to grab them out of the bag just loose.

The girl took a look at my posters and said they could potentially be too large for the machine (24 inches). I didn't know off the top of my head how big they were so she kept them and I told her if they didn't fit to just not worry about it and shove them back in the bag. I felt bad about giving them all that stuff but I also told her that she could keep it until August 27 (the day I get into my classroom finally) so I figured I was in no way rushing them!

11. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Aug 11, 2007

OM

I also had all my stuff in a big bag. When I picked it up it was all rolled up and rubber banded. The only thing I didn't like was that one only one roll was labeled with my name so anyone could of picked up of stuff. I had to look through and pick out which was mine which wasn't easy when it was all in rolls. I can't complain for free. :lol: :lol:

12. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I am definitely taking advantage of this tomorrow. I just got hired today for my first full-time teaching position, and have been saving things in case I got hired somewhere. Office Max is going to hate me!!

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 15, 2007

I am trying to come up with some to laminate, but everything I have already is laminated.

14. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I just found out about the free laminating on Thursday and I'm so excited. I'm trying to get all my classrom job posters and some other thigns done now so I can bring it all down tomorrow. I called the one near me figuring there was a limit on things I could bring in...NOPE!!!

The kicker is it needs to be left there but I'd rather do it there then use the school's laminating machine-rather save that for later on.

15. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I did NOT have a good experience with Office Max laminating. I was so excited to have this service; I spent all last weekend getting things together for lamination. I dropped things off on Thursday and they called today to say it was ready to pick up. When I got there, they tried to give me stuff that was not mine. When I informed them of their mistake, they told me they could not find MINE!! :mad: It was no where to be found. So now, all my hours of hard work are gone! They're in the process of calling all the people who picked up items today to see if they took it home by mistake. I'm hoping they find my items, because I am already NOT HAPPY! They offered to replace any items (with receipt) but 95% of the stuff I laminated was stuff I had made! So unless they find it, I'm going to have to redo it all... another 2-3 hours of cutting and pasting. :( We'll see if I risk going with them again if nothing turns up. I think I may insist on some free laminating NOT on Thursday so I dont have to wait till next week.

I just thought I'd share so people are careful. From what I hear most people are having a positive experience, but don't send in anything that would be awful to lose (or at least things that you dont have a receipt for!)

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2007

I am sorry you are having problems, my office max anticipated such problems and have made people put their stuff in bags and are labeling the bags. I think this kind of thing will happen consdering the volume of work they are laminating. I hope they find your stuff, becuase the person that got yours I am sure wants theirs instead.

17. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I went and dropped some things off on Thurs. and they said that it would be at least a week... grr.. didn't really want to wait that long, but it is FREEE!!!

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

Just how do you laminate a rock?

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2007

Gee this thread has been around for a while, so it took you that long to come up with that pun????? Falling off your game IrishDave, you are usually faster than that! :toofunny:

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

Sorry I have been busy getting my room ready I don't think I read any new posts till tonight ​

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

Sure excuses excuses, of course that is a very good excuse, so I guess you win! :woot:

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

Ya hear that I am a Wiener​

23. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

:rofl: You crack me up! I needed the laugh as I sit here at 3 am with a serious chest cold wondering if I can get rid of it before the first day of school. Thanks for the laugh! :toofunny:

Umm, you do know that a wiener is a hot dog, right????

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

wie·ner

Etymology: short for wienerwurst
    FRANKFURTER

25. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

Ich sprechen deutch, so yes I know it is a frankfurter....after frankfurt where that kind of sausage is most popular. Sold by street venders, served with mustard. Yes I know.

Again, thanks for the laugh

26. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Ok I just wanted to say i got my first batch back today, it was $350 dollars worth of laminating!!!! Yeah I already dropped off more!!!!!

27. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 21, 2007

Mine was only 100 bucks, I must be doing something wrong!! I still have stuff that was packed for the summer that I need to pick up from grandma's (where she is so nicely letting me store my thing!) and bring in Thursday.

28. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I feel like the biggest idiot...but when I first read the title of your post I thought "why would anyone laminate rocks??" so of course I just HAD to click on it to read more...come to find out I just had a dumb moment!

29. svteach

svteach Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Free laminating thats great

30. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2007

Some Office Max locations are beginning to limit the amount that cam be laminated. One near me has it limited to 50 ft per teacher

31. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 25, 2007

My office max said the same thing last Thursday.