Offered Middle School Job

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by CaliGirl21, Mar 13, 2007.

1. CaliGirl21

CaliGirl21 Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

I have just been offered a job to teach social studies to grades 6-8. While I am very excited about this offer, I am a bit apprehensive to take the position because my experience is with elementary school kids. Anyone have any advice? Did anyone want to be an elementary school teacher and end up in middle school and love it??

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2007

I think you should take it. Consider it a learning experience. You may very well end up liking it. I have never been in your situation, but sometimes, we have to take opportunities when they Knock.

Good Luck in your decision.

4. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Mar 13, 2007

I began teaching American History and English to fourth and fifth graders. This was a wonderful experience for me, however I prefer to teach secondary education. I too was apprehensive about teaching seventh and eighth graders, but after the first week of school I was settled in and comfortable with it. I love my job to death. I love the curriculum, my work environment, my colleagues, and my students. My district allows possible teachers to view classes being taught before hand. For example, in June the elementary school has off when Middle school has school. Therefore those possible teachers would come in and observe the overall secondary education teaching. This has proved to be useful in many cases. My advice to you is make sure you are ready for the differences in innocence. I was blown away by student behavior. I've heard stories about students playing beer pong. That would hopefully not happen in an elementary school setting. Also be aware of teaching the same thing several times a day. Some teachers can't get used to having to teach the same material 3 -5 times a day. Like I said I love my job because I find very little fault with it. Just try imagining back when you attended middle school and see if you like the environment or not.

5. jd019

jd019 Companion

Mar 14, 2007

Go for it! I am 6th grade science and social studies and I love the one social studies section I get to teach. You can really do some fun projects with middle schoolers and make it come alive for them.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 14, 2007

I thought I was interviewing for a kindergarten job, and found out when the interview started that it was K-8. I love it. I love working with the middle school students. For next school year I am applying to just kindergarten, but it's because I am not cert. for teaching middle school math. I am looking into taking classes so I can teach middle school math.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2007

I moved down from HS to middle school and love it as well. The kids are in that wonderful spot between being children and teenagers-- they're so much fun to deal with!

8. CaliGirl21

CaliGirl21 Rookie

Mar 14, 2007

Thanks for all the replies. I have a meeting with the principal on Friday, so I will get more details then! Everyone else I know that teaches middle school says they can't imagine teaching anything else, so that gives me a boost of confidence! Thank you again :)

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 14, 2007

Well, I'm one of those. I love it with all of its challenges and triumphs. Middle schoolers are a breed of their own and that's what keeps it iinteresting.

10. BigJim

BigJim Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

I do 7th and 8th currently, and have taught in the Job Corps system (4 years) and did High School. MS is my favorite by far

11. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Mar 16, 2007

Several of my friends had to make the switch from elementary to middle school when the district changed from junior high. None of them have regretted it or tried to go back to elementary. (Two are in social studies, one in math, one in science.)

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2007

I've taught middle for 2 years now and I LOVE it!!! The kids are at a great age where they realy are able to rationalize and think things through. I know that it's a whole new ball game in high school. The MS students I teach are motivationally challenged ---is there such a term? Anyway, I get to be their inspirational speaker each day and I SEE the differences in them and it's a rewarding feeling!! I LOVE my job!!!

13. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 16, 2007

I wanted to be a high school teacher and "ended up" in middle school. I absolutely love teaching my sixth graders. They're wonderful, crazy, aggravating... and I love seeing them after the too short weekends end!

Just make sure YOUR heart is guiding you in that direction for the kids, not just for the job.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2007

I taught high school seniors for two years before transferring to the middle school. I really didn't think I'd like it, but took the job to stay in the system until another high school job was available. (The high school went to block scheduling and I was the last hired and first to go when they cut staff.)

I found that I absolutely LOVED middle school kids . . . after about three years with them. The love was not immediate.

We were a 7-8 school at the time, and when we opened our new school about 8 years into my career, I agreed to take one sixth grade class after we'd been there a couple of years. I absolutely did NOT like them at all. I thought maybe it was just the group of kids and I'd try again. I had two groups of them last year, and I didn't like them either. (And I have them back as 7th graders and love them.)

Sixth grade is too elementary for me . . . WAY too much elementary for me.

Most of our sixth grade teachers came from elementary background. We've got several middle grades people in all three levels, but those of us with secondary certification don't tend to go below 7th grade . . . with most being at grade 8.

Try it . . . you just might like it!

15. CaliGirl21

CaliGirl21 Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Keep it coming. BTW, I met with the principal yesterday. We have a verbal agreement, but nothing down on paper yet, as the new contracts have not come out yet.

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 17, 2007

I loved middle school. You might check out this link to see what the New York Times has to say about middle school teachers and students.

17. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Mar 17, 2007

Wow- you got offered my dream job! Good luck! I hope you love it.
    Keep us posted.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 18, 2007

Loved the article! My favorte part is this quote:
    “You have to have a huge sense of humor and a small ego,” said Jason Levy, the principal of Intermediate School 339 in the Bronx. “There are some people who are born to do it and some who learn to do it, and there are some people who really shouldn’t do it.”

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 18, 2007

Go for it! I have taught a range of grades from top to bottom. Here is my sage wisdom:

1. No matter how goofy or emotional they act from time to time, treat them with respect and kindness.
    2. They still have one foot in the little kid world - appeal to that side but never acknowledge you are doing so.
    3. Listen.
    4. Do a lot of hands on projects, which they kinda get cheated out of once they are in the "middle school." Such as art projects for book reports, etc.
    5. Set them up to think for themselves and succeed!

Good luck! It was my favorite age to teach until I had my own children and moved to first grade.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

This is so true. For all their "coolness" and wanting to be grown up, many may still be tucked in at night with a stuffed animal (although they'd sooner die than admit it!!!) Remembering this side of students this age can help you get through some difficult days!

21. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Mar 19, 2007

You know, the older my own children get, the younger my students seem. :)

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2007

Ain't it the truth!

23. ruggergal3

ruggergal3 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

i totally loved this thread!!!! i am in school to teach middle math and science. i am sooooo excited to teach this age group and to attempt to get them through math so that they will be ready for high school math when the time comes. it kills me to see that college kids cant get thru algebra. i wonder who their 8th and 9th grade teachers were... as far as science, i cant wait to still do the fun things with that age like science fairs and field trips, etc.. thank you all for the middle school feedback!!

24. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Mar 19, 2007

Last week in my Foundations of Ed class we had a girl that argued that she was only going to teach PE and wasn't getting any other endorsements, so she didn't understand why she had to have college algebra and mathematical instruction. She even went on to say how much she hates math and how she never uses algebra in her life anyway. The whole time I was thinking, "your going to be a teacher! WTH!" I can see her being a PE teacher and having some kid whine to her about a math class. Wonder what her repsonse would be. The professor tried to give her examples of ways to use math in PE, but she just blew them off. Finally the professor just said, "well, with only 1 endorsement you're not going to be very marketable".