Offered a para position after accepting a daycare job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bpumpkin, Aug 13, 2012.

1. bpumpkin

bpumpkin New Member

Aug 13, 2012

I have a 7-12 Social Studies degree and am working on graduate work in Special Education. My plan was always to start out as an aid while I work on my graduate work and build up contacts and references since I have been a stay at home mom for many years and it has been over 10 years since I obtained my degree.

I had to push up this plan because we needed the extra income, and so I was a little bit desperate in my job search. When things were not turning up in the paraprofessional area, I applied for a day care position. It is teaching 3 year olds. I’ve done this work before, I like working with all ages; so that isn’t an issue. I was sure I wanted to be a para over subbing; however when I was first offered this job I was not sure I wanted it over subbing. (I figured long term subbing would be better to get my foot in the door somewhere). The regular (although min. wage) paycheck won out.

I started to psyche myself up; looking at lesson plans and appreciating the fact that my 2 youngest children would be allowed to come at a reduced rate. I got a little excited over the prospect of working with little ones (I have 4 kids and l love doing preschool crafts and lessons with them) and I LOVE the idea of still being with my younger children and knowing they are getting enriching activities instead of TV time with grandma and dad.

THEN, I got called to interview as a para at a local high school. I was sure my name got put on the list because a contact mentioned me directly to the principal so I felt compelled to interview. My ego had been bruised enough that I figured I’d interview and they would hire someone else. The interview went well. However, after learning it was for English remediation, I figured there had to be an English major that applied as well and just continued to psyche myself up for the day care job. I interviewed Friday and they finished their interviews today and called me at 2 offering me the job. I have mixed feelings.

I KNOW the para is probably much better for my career. Although, my state allows you to test for certification outside of your original grade levels; so in the future, I could test for ECE and have preschool experience. (I plan to get as many certifications as I can; I work well with all ages) On the other hand, I don’t know how serious anyone takes a daycare position. I also can’t be sure how much my contact’s influence had on the decision. I know the conversation never went past mentioning my name, degree, and desire to work as an aid when the job was announced. However, this person is a great employee and I assume her opinion may have been a factor. So, I am very reluctant to turn down this opportunity, when I might not get that same edge again.

Logically the para is better career wise. Financially it is more per hour. Yearly, it is the same, but the daycare position is more days and hours. Even though I can have my younger kids with me at the daycare, I do have 2 older ones that the para position would give me more time with due to similar schedules. Finally, the daycare position is NOT something I can do indefinitely. Financially, I would need to transition into the public school somehow anyway. Am I right in assuming that being a para at a public school would probably go further than being a preschool teacher in a daycare center?

I guess I’ve made up my mind, I just need people to tell me it’s the right choice. I did really get myself excited about working with 3 year olds and basically having free reign on lessons. I have to go withdraw my acceptance in person and I hate letting people down.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

The para position sounds like a better position. I think that you should take it and not feel bad about leaving the daycare position.

Congrats!

4. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Para position will give you experience in a school setting which sounds like is where you want to be and get your foot in the door.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

I wouldn't worry about burning bridges in the daycare field. They'd fire you in a second if they wanted to. I don't consider it the same as a school setting.

6. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 13, 2012

The turnover rate is very high in the CDC field...so, give notice if your original plans seems like a better option. Good luck!!!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

Give them a two week notice and don't look back :)

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

I think the para job sounds better...good luck. I know how hard these decisions are, just went thru something similar.

9. chiilo

chiilo Rookie

Aug 14, 2012

You don't owe the daycare anything. I agree with another poster, they could fire you in a second if they had to. :/

10. bpumpkin

bpumpkin New Member

Aug 14, 2012

Thank you. Career wise, I figure the para will be much better. I am kind of wishing that I never interviewed. I seriously didn't think I would get hired. Today was my first day. It is a newly created position, so NO ONE is sure what I'm suppose to be doing or how to do it. I was really starting to like the idea of taking my kids to work with me to the daycare, but I feel like the para position isn't a bridge I can burn now.

11. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 14, 2012

There is research and a roles/duties list somewhere online. So, maybe you can review it with whoever you are working with and go from there? The bright side is you get to set the bar

12. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

I'd leave the daycare for the para position.