Offered a Long-Term Sub position

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by gutterballjen, Feb 19, 2011.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I had a teacher call me out of the blue yesterday and ask if I would be interested in subbing her kindergarten class while she goes on a 10 week maternity leave. Apparently one of the kinder teachers that I subbed for at the beginning of the year recommended me. :woot:

The teacher asked that I come in on Tuesday to meet her, her co-teacher, the aides ,and possibly the students. I am so excited, but also really overwhelmed!

So for those of you who have taken long-term jobs before, how did it work? Did you like it? Would you do it again? Were you in charge of planning lessons, or was that provided for you? I'm making myself a list of questions to ask the teacher when I call her tomorrow afternoon. So far, I want to know whether they use the Daily 5 program since I've seen it in several other K classrooms in the district. Are there other things I should ask?

I am comforted in the fact that it's a grade that I absolutely adore in a school that I'm familiar with. I'll also have a co-teacher and aides to support me. That said, I am still completely blown away!

Any advice, stories, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2011

I LOVE LT assignments. You have steady pay for a while & know where to go daily. Aside from those obvious facts, the teacher should still have plans for you, but she may want you to stay in contact w/ her weekly or so to make sure things are going well. For me, I've done numerous LT assignments for mostly speech-language pathologists. It's easy money & I don't really need to stay in contact with the SLP, but the SLP will come & do the assessments & paperwork part of the job. WIth general ed classes, you'll be encouraged to befriend the other teachers of the same grade level to know what's gonig on, etc. You'll probably be expected to attend the staff meetings.

Go for it & have fun.

4. lilune

lilune Rookie

Feb 20, 2011

I started the school year for a kindergarten teacher on maternity leave. I was there for about 12 or 13 weeks. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I did all the planning. Actually, for the first couple of weeks the team leader and the teacher next door planned with me so I had a feel for what they were doing. And this teacher that you are subbing for will probably have planned ahead of time for you.

I had not used Daily 5, but had heard about it and this group of K teachers wanted to use it so I implemented that. It was a great Daily 5 introduction to it for me.

Let us know how it goes!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2011

In my school board (and many of the others nearby) long term subbing is the path one needs to take to obtain a permanent position. The two long term positions I did--one for 3 months and the other for 9 months--led directly to my contract position.

As far as planning, the regular teacher here would be responsible for outlining the first couple of weeks, but not doing any planning beyond that. The long term sub is expected to assume all responsibilities--supervision duties, communication with parents, assessment and evaluation of students, attending mandatory meetings, program planning, etc.

Good luck!