Offered a Job...signing contract question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by The Fonz, May 26, 2015.

1. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

May 26, 2015

Hello all,

Last week I was offered a job in Northern Virginia. First, the principal called me to let me know I was offered the job and said I would hear from HR for the official offer.

About a few hours later HR called me and officially offered me the job, gave me my salary and told me that in a few weeks I will be coming in to do fingerprinting, give my TB test results and do a photo ID.

The kicker is that I have not officially signed anything yet because HR told me that they don't do signings until August 1st and I will be emailed the contract for an electronic signature.

I was all fine and everything, but now people at my current school are making me nervous saying that they can change their mind at any time because I didn't sign anything yet.

Is this true? I thought the official call from HR meant I was confirmed....I mean, I am even receiving emails from the Math Dept. Chair on my teaching assignments.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 26, 2015

Worry less - this all sounds kosher. I'm not going to say that nothing ever goes wrong, but it is not very likely in this situation. Congratulations, by the way!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 26, 2015

If HR is bringing you in, you should be fine. Enjoy your summer!

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 26, 2015

I agree you should be fine.

Congrats.

Did you get an offer letter/email?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 26, 2015

I wouldn't worry too much. I accepted an offer in March and received an offer letter around the same time, but I still haven't signed a contract, as I'm being told the position won't officially open up until July 1. So, I'm being patient and keeping in contact with the principal who assures me that there is a place for me at the school.

So, yes, it is possible that they could back out, since neither you nor I have signed anything. However, it sounds pretty unlikely for both of us. Now, if you hadn't heard anything from anyone for awhile, then I might start to worry, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2015

I wouldn't worry, but I know that's easier said than done!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 27, 2015

It sounds like everything is fine. Congrats!

9. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

May 27, 2015

Thanks all! At my other schools, I always signed my contract within a week or two...this is a weird situation for me but I guess it is being dictated by the budget being finalized.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 27, 2015

Things being done by the fiscal calendar is fairly common.

11. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

May 27, 2015

I have a feeling you were offered a position in Fairfax which is where I work. This is common. They should have sent you an offer letter though with the salary listed and you should have accepted the position through email. Fairfax does not know their salary next year yet as they are waiting to see if they have the budget for step increases and a .62% increase in the overall salary scale.