Offered a job...I think...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 'Lizbeth, Feb 12, 2009.

1. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 12, 2009

This is kind of long...sorry...

A little background-Ok, so I interviewed for a pre-school teaching position back in the beginning of Dec. I called a week after the interview and she said she wouldn't be doing any hiring until Jan. So I emailed the first week of January and she called and said she still needed to hire at least 2 teachers so to call her in a week. So I did and after all that she said she had not gotten the approval to enroll more students yet, and that she had hired one person already so she would just call me when she had more info. I took that as a "thanks, but no thanks" and forgot about it.

Today I got a message saying she got the approval and she wants to hire me. I call her and she said she was sorry it had taken so long and that she had been interested but it was stressful getting the approval but that she had kept my file on her desk this whole time. I am thrilled and completely surprised, because it is full time with benefits. I am still being a little cautious because I have no idea how much she wants to pay me, and I have only been to the school once. I am going to meet with her on Tuesday morning so we can discuss details. This is where I need advice. The last time I took a job at a Pre-school it was a disaster and a half. The pay was ok, not great and the environment was awful. They pressed me to make a decision about working there pretty much on the spot and being naive and an excited new teacher just accepted. I need to know do most teachers accept jobs on the spot and is there a good way to say that I want the job but want to think about it for a day or so?

I really do understand in this economy it would be silly to turn down a job, but I am nervous since my last job was such a disaster and to be honest, but not sound like a total snob, how much money is a big factor. I know pre-school teachers don't make a ton of money, but I can't work for $8. It is a 40 minute commute for me, which isn't far but I do have a part time job about 2 seconds from me house that pays around $13. It is only part time, and I really don't like it, but I need money... please tell me if I am being silly and if you have any advice. I am also trying not to get too excited because this place has been so all over the place that I half expect to show up on Tuesday and for her to have no idea who I am. :lol: Thank you in advance for any insight!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

First off, congrats! It does sound like a job offer. Teachers, most often than not, ask for 24 hours to discuss it with their SO. Given that you would have a 40 min commute, this would be a great reason to ask your SO if this commute would be okay. Are you certified? Most preschools will pay certified teachers more. Some preschools around here pay their certified teachers between $10-11/hr.

Good luck!

4. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

I agree that you can ask for 24 hours, but where I work most would accept it on the spot. That said, there is only 1 school board and if I turned down a job at one school another school would probably not hire me.

What are your concerns? Is it mostly pay? Mostly the school environment?

I would be tempted to figure out what I was concerned about and what was the minimum I would accept and go to the interview ready to discuss those issues so that I could make the decision at the interview.

If, for example, you will not work for 8$ an hour then if they say 8$/ no negotiating what would you say?

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

Congratulations! I think before Tuesday you need to figure out what the lowest salary that you would be willing to accept is, so that you can have an idea if you will be able to take the job or not. But I see no reason why they wouldn't give you at least a day to think it over.

6. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

Thanks for the advice... SmallTownGal, I am not certified, but I have my paperwork in process so I will have my teacher permit. I don't have the final approval yet, they said it can take up to 6 months to process!!! However, I know that I qualify and my fingerprints are fine etc. So, I do have that. My SO lives much closer to where I would be teaching so he thinks it would be great. haha. I do drive a car with not so great gas milage though so I have to make sure that it will be enough to cover a longer commute since I have practically no commute now.

CanukTeacer, I think my concerns are really nerves. I am concerned about pay but only because I don't live with my SO and so I am on my own with what I make and I know that I couldn't do it on $8. I am scared to go back to a preschool because my last school was horrific. This one is nothing like my old school, but there is still that fear there. I think if the director said $8, no negotiation, I would probably have to turn down the position, as much as I don't really want to. I would love to make the decision at the interview I just don't want to end up in a bad situation like last time, because I didn't ask enough questions.

Jessica26, I hope that she doesn't pressure me to make a decision right there, she doesn't seem like that kind of person but I don't want to jepordize my chances either as I know there are lots of other people who would jump on this job. I am trying to decide how low I can go as far as salary goes, but I am also not 100% sure how much a preschool teacher makes an hour...

I am just really nervous I think the bad experience I had has made me wary of making another bad decision.

7. MissR

MissR Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

I made $9.50/hour to start when I taught preschool 3 years ago. And I have a degree in ECE...I was straight out of college...and I live in Colorado. If that helps...

A preschool in Denver offered me $10/hr that same year.

8. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

Thank you Miss R. I figured that would be close to what she might offer, I am hoping it might be just a touch more because it is in a more affluent neighborhood. I have a B.A. in child development and graduated in May 2008. I don't have a lot of experience so I know that might be a factor. I just really hope it is something I can live on. ;)

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

'Lizbeth, with a degree in child development, you should not settle for minimun wage. I would start you at $10 an hour, and if you asked for more I would give you $11. Whatever you are offered, ask for a $1 more, and accept $.50 more. Even a few cents more is better than what is offered.

As for knowing if the job is a good fit, ask if you can spend a couple hours in the center to experience the place. Since you had a bad experience, you will know some red flags when you see them.

My clue to a great center is the comfort level of the children.

10. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

Thank you Blue! I wouldn't want to work for minimum wage with a college degree but I know it happens. I understand that employers want to pay a fair wage, but in my experience they want to get you for as little as they can get. I just have to hope I get enough courage to ask for more if she offers lower than I want. I would hope that she would not offer less than $10, as I live in a large city in CA. I am still a very new teacher and just want to start my career with children! Thanks for the advice too about staying and observing. I was there once for about an hour and everything seemed very smooth but about 20 minutes after I got there it was nap time so I didn't see much interaction. I think I will ask to stay and see if I can observe a little. I would be working in either a 3 year old or 4 year old room, so hopefully I can observe that class. You all have no idea how much I appreciate this advice and insight! :):thanks:

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

Definitely do not settle for anything less than $10. With a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood you should not be getting (or even be offered!) $8 an hour. $8 an hour is what you can make in a childcare center with no degree as a high school graduate.

Good luck to you!

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 15, 2009

I'm glad to hear that you were offered a job! That's wonderful, even if you do have to work the details out. I hope they'll offer you a lot more than you're expecting--- I ended up with a few more thousand when I took my position in 5th grade :D

If at all possible, ask her if for the rest of the school year if you could come in a few times and observe different teachers. Get a feel for the environment there. I was allowed to observe the teacher I was taking over for a few times prior to the school year finishing.

13. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

I really would ask for a day to decide or to spend some time in the center. With my last job I had these niggling little doubts when I walked out of the interview. They offered me the job on the spot, asked me to be drug tested that day, and because it was mid-September and I was desperate, I accepted. To put it mildly, it was not a good fit, and I resigned this month.

Oh, I have a bach degree in this field, as an assistant I made $10/hr, as a teacher I made $12. But that was in a university-preschool and then in a Headstart center partially subsudized by the state. In a private preschool while getting my degree, I started at $6 and made it up to $7.50.

14. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

That's how I felt with my last school, Miss J., Pre-k. I wish I had spent more time observing that school, because it was a disaster and I knew it as soon as my first day was over. I stuck it out for 4 months but then I too had to quit.

I am not even sure if this position being offered to me is for a lead teacher or an assistant. She said "Your classroom will be either the 3 or 4 year old room..." but I don't know if I will be co-teaching or what. It would be nice to think I could get $12 an hour... but I have just under 1 year experience (I volunteered for 6 months at another center while in school) so I really am not sure. I am SO nervous. I don't know what to wear tomorrow. I have been trying on different stuff all day. Nothing seems right. :eek:

15. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

So how did it go?

16. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

I got the job! I spent a few hours at the school and I got a really good feeling about the other teachers and I met some of the children and the money isn't too bad, and she said that if in 3 months if I am doing well then I get a raise. =) So I am pretty excited. I start March 2!

17. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Feb 18, 2009

CONGRATS TO YOU!!! :)

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2009

CONGRATS!

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2009

That's great! Congratulations!

20. palla

palla Companion

Feb 18, 2009

Awesome!!!! That is wonderful news! Congratulations! :)

21. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

Thank you! I am really excited. I am sure that I will be posting much more frequently now that I will actually have a classroom, I am sure I will need a lot of advice because I am still a newbie and will be working with a new age group.

22. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

Woohoo! That's great news!