offered a job! (HELP ME!)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Aug 8, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

ahhhh! ok i am freaking out right now...

i had an interview yesterday for a job. i got a call today from the board of ed. (i think) saying that i 99% have the job, i just have to meet the superintendent.

yesterday, i also began filling out paperwork for a teaching aide position in another town.

the town i was offered a job in is def. not a nice area. the principal basically said the students and parents were challenging and they didn't pass the NJASK last year (state test...which means i'd be busting my butt to make them meet standards).

what should i do?! i am going to call the one district back that offered me a job...what questions should i ask? they didn't even tell me what grade, so i am going to ask them that. thanks!

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Personally, I would take the teacher job myself. You're in NJ, which I've read is nearly impossible to find a job. Even if it's a challenge, you'll still be teaching. And gaining experience which can go on your resume. And teaching! :)

Whatever you decide, congrats on the offer!

4. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 8, 2007

You will have to decide which is better for you at this time. The teaching position gives you the opportunity to get some experience with your own classroom whereas the aid position seems to be a more comfortable environment. How unsafe is this school? Weigh the pros and cons by writing them down. Sometimes it is easier to see it that way. Good luck with either position and congratulations on the job offers.

5. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Hello,

I would tell you the same thing. I've been reading all summer long that it's next to impossible to get a teaching position in New Jersey.

Even though it's not a nice area, I'm sure it would be an enriching experience for you. You may be that one person in their lives that creates stability for these students. If you decide next year that this isn't the school district for you, you have this year of experience under your belt to apply elsewhere. I would definitely take any teaching position over an aide position, if possible.

Good luck on your decision!:D

6. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

:hijack: Where are you in Oregon? I grew there and graduated from U of O. Go Ducks! My parents still live there.

Sheri

7. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I still live in the Eugene area. I came here for college, and loved it so I never left! :) I'll be teaching for the Lane ESD in Springfield next year.

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I love Eugene! My husband's in the military, so we've mostly lived in Southern California since we've been married. We are now in Texas and bought a home here. My aunt just moved here from Vancouver, so we now have family around again. We had 4 ducks in our family.

Great talking to you. Congrats on your teaching position. I'm still interviewing. Did you go through the SPED program from U of O? I almost did that after my bachelor's and I regret it now that I didn't.

Sheri

9. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I did my bachelors at UO in ed studies, but went to the Eugene campus of Pacific University for my masters. They have a really neat internship program so I was able to work as a teacher last year instead of student teach and earn 75% salary. The classes were this summer and last summer, and then Monday nights during the school year. I don't feel like my education was as good to be honest, but I had to have income so it worked well for me.

10. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

My brother is in a program similiar to that in Eugene and I think its Pacific. He'll be student teaching in Monroe this year.

Sheri

11. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

How funny! I had class with him just last week! I know of two guys in that cohort are going to be at Monroe. Is he doing high school LRC or life skills?

12. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

He's not in Special Ed. I beileve he's going to be an English teacher in Monroe. His name is Matthew C.

13. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Oh, ok. Well then I didn't have class with him. Still funny though.

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

If you are comfortable with the grade level, I'd go with full teacher.

They didn't meet the requirements last year, so you don't have where to go but UP.

Think test, test, test. Get a copy of old test and use the problems with your class. Focus on the test. Get the sample test for the current year again focus on the questions.

You will need a strong discipline program. Take charge the first day and don't ease off.

15. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I think you should take the teaching position . Even though it is not in a nice area like an another teacher said you have to have a strong classroom management from the first day. I work in at a tough school in NYC. The first 2 months of school I don't smile at all. You have to take control of the classroom and make sure that the students understand that you are not playing with them. When someone does something small the first time take the consquence to the extreme. like contact parents , do a home visit with another teacher dean or AP. Word travels fast. The students will say if she acts like that over something so small I don't even want to know how she would act for somethimg big. Also don't forget to give positive reinforcement. sorry to go on like that . PM me if you need more info. but remember these are kids that need you .