Offered a job but

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msrosie, Aug 4, 2015.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

So I officially accepted a position yesterday, talked to HR and everything. She said that she'd email me all the paperwork right away because school starts in 2 weeks. Apparently they don't do most of the HR stuff in person like I assumed would happen. Anyway, she added me to their system online, so I can see some things, but still no paperwork or even any directions as far as next steps. Like I know I need a physical and TB test and fingerprints and all before my frist day of work, but I've been given no info about where to go for any of this.

I feel like I should be worried because I'm expected to be at new teacher orientation on Thursday/Friday and training for reading instruction Monday-Wednesday but can I go to those things if I don't have paperwork?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 4, 2015

Your doctor can most likely do your TB test and you can have the results copied to hand in, but I would call HR and ask if they have specific forms for that. TB tests take a few days so I would say at least get started on that...
    As far as fingerprinting, it depends on your state and district. One district I subbed in last year required us to get our own fingerprints done (there's a list of places that do that around here). The other district had a fingerprinting station at the main office, so they did it for free at orientation.

Call HR and ask about the test and fingerprints though. It's better to ask and feel a bit silly than to not be able to work because it's not done.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

TB tests take two days, at least the one my doctor does.

5. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I know, but I also know that some districts have specific places for you to go to get that stuff done. For example, my home district contracts out to a specific place and if you get everything done there, you save like 50 bucks.

It all varies district to district and I wish HR had given me some guidance that's all.

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 5, 2015

When I got hired for my current job, they did TB tests at the nurse's office the first day of orientation. If I had known that, I wouldn't have went out to Walgreens and paid $40 for a TB test. Check to see if the school will do it for free!