Offered a job as an aide, but now I may have a choice to make

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bet3, Aug 24, 2009.

1. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I was interviewed last Thursday for an aide position at the middle school. The principal told me that I would hear something the next day. I didn't hear anything Friday, so I called the school and the secretary told me no one had been hired yet. When I got home that night and checked the job postings, I saw that a 5th grade position had been posted in another school, so this morning, I went to that school and took my resume to the principal. He told me that he would let the teachers know I was available to sub and maybe they could get me out there this week to see if I would like the school. He also told me that they would be doing interviews either late this week or early next. I had to take 2 of my kids to the doctor and when I got back, I saw that school's number on my caller i.d. When I called them, they asked me to sub on Wednesday. I was (and am) kind of excited about this because it makes me feel like I made a good impression this morning.

This afternoon, the principal at the middle school called and offered me the aide position. I was honest and told him about applying for the teaching position. He was very nice and said he understood. He wants me to come and sub in the aide position tomorrow and talk about the situation. I wonder if I'll have to make a decision tomorrow. I'm not sure what to do. The teaching position at the other school is not a sure thing; the aide position is and I think it could lead to a teaching position when one comes open at the middle school. Have any of you ever been in this kind of situation?
    What should I do if I have to make a choice?

3. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

will u be under contract in the aide position and unable to leave if the other job falls through? If not, take the job, go on the interview and take it from there.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

bet~I'm an aide in a middle school right now...just started school today. I've been told by several people that I probably won't last long and will be moved to a teaching position soon. I didn't have any middle school experience, but want to teach middle school so I took the opportunity.

5. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I've been told that there will probably be some turnover in this school in the next couple of years. That's part of the reason I applied for this position. I just hate to give up the opportunity of a full-time teaching position if I don't have to. Financially, I really need the teaching position.

6. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 25, 2009

Everything is working out. I won't have to sign a contract for the aide position until I see if the other school hires me as a teacher. I feel really lucky.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 25, 2009

You are LUCKY!! :) Glad things are working out for you!

8. bet3

bet3 Companion

Sep 3, 2009

I thought I would let everyone know that it doesn't look like I'll even be interviewed for the 5th grade teaching position. (The principal said he had 80 applicants for the job.) So, I told the principal at the Middle school that I was ready to take the aide position. I don't feel too bad about it. Financially, I need the teaching position, but professionally, I think the aide position will benefit me. I appreciate everyone's good wishes.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2009

Congratulations on receiving the aide job!