Offered 2 jobs, one is for sure-what is normal hiring process???? HELP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newACPtxteach, Apr 18, 2007.

1. newACPtxteach

newACPtxteach Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

Hi everyone,

I was offered a job at XXX school this morning but it was my 2nd choice and my first choice school had told me to call him if I received any offers...so I did. Well he called me back and said yes-they want to hire me. Here's my question-What is the normal hiring process? XXX (2nd choice) school has already done background check and wants me to sign now. 1st choice school said HR has to send me background forms first, then a hiring packet, then I don't sign until orientation this summer! Is that normal? I just don't want to miss out on a for sure job-but I love love love the other district. And he said he wants me to come in MAy to meet some of my colleagues....what do yall think????

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 18, 2007

I'm surprised you'd have to wait so long to sign at the one district. Here they have you sign right after being hired so that they know you'll be there and they can take down the vacancy post. Who knows if they'll change their minds in the meantime?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2007

I think I would be totally honest.

Tell them you have another offer, but would prefer to take theirs. Is there any way you could sign now?

Of course, if he says no, you have to decide what to do.

5. newACPtxteach

newACPtxteach Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

update!!! SOS

So, I finally caved and emailed him to be sure I have the job. First I called their HR dept to see what their usual hiring process is-and she said well, he should have given you the background sheet with your hire packet. So now i'm really confused-so I emailed him.

Said-just wanted to be sure that the position was closed now that I had accepted? Just making sure its ok for my fiance and I to start looking for a house?

he wrote back-No prob! Here's a realtors name & number, and I reccommended you for the position-it is new. Let me know if have any other questions--ERRR

Still didn't answer my question-I don't know if maybe bc its so short notice he didn't have things prepared(remember I called bc I had another offer) or if they're just bluffing-bc the HR dept didn't really know what I was talking about. I hope its just short notice thing-but I called, he was busy, so left a msg asking to call me back.

I don't know what to do-this is a life altering decision and he kind of just left me hanging....I won't mention that I called the HR dept though-sounds like I went behind his back or something...

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 18, 2007

Can you reply and ask him when you could sign the contract? I find it weird that they aren't really rushing to get you to sign. when I was offered positions last spring, they wanted me to sign a day or two after the offer was made. (In the districts I was offered positions in, my verbal acceptance started a process where the principal notified HR of the intent to hire, and HR prepared paperwork. A day or so after the principal contacted HR, the forms would be ready to sign.)

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

I wonder if it's the case where, before you're allowed to sign paperwork, the school board has to "officially" approve your hiring? That may be why they're waiting for you to sign. The school board really doesn't turn down the positions that have been filled, but it may just be a formality.

8. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

I was offered 2 positions on Monday, too...

I was told that afternoon that I was the one they had chosen for the position, they just had to call all my references and they would contact me by the end of the week. I have not signed anything and have this empty feeling in my gut. I sure hope they call by Friday. I totally know what you are going through. I don't want to lose out on the other position either. I am thinking I have it but it is not a done deal until you sign on the dotted line;) Hang in there as I am trying to do but don't push too hard try to keep the 2end position open until you sign and then tell them. It will work itself out it always does.

Best of luck!
    Liz

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 19, 2007

NewACP-

This is exactly why e-mail is not the best way to communicate in many cases. I really think you need to call him. Email is not the way to go right now. He seems very quick in the email and you could be going back and forth for days. You need to find out from him what "I recommended you for the job means". Then you need to find a way to say something like "If I find a house tomorrow, is it safe to buy it or is there a possibility the possition could get held up?" Regardless of his answer, don't buy a house until you sign!

I'm sure everything is fine but I would find a reason to call. Perhaps you could call his admin and tell her that you have a couple of questions that you would like to talk with him about personally (so she doesn't ask) and would like him to call you.

It will work out!

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 19, 2007

GOOD LUCK to you! That is awesome news!

11. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2007

What's that old saying, "A bird in the hand..." The principal is probably not lying to you or anything like that, but yeah, you should get it straightened out. I signed my contract right after it was offered, and I agree with the other teachers, it does seem as though your offer isn't firm until you've signed on. You're still a free agent and so are they until then. What's happening with the other job offer while you're trying to sort this out, by the way? It sounds good to me that they are so certain they want you...Let us know what happens & best of luck to you.

12. newACPtxteach

newACPtxteach Rookie

May 3, 2007

So update :) I got the job, my first choice one that wasn't sure, and it is standard for this district to wait until orientation to sign contracts...so I'm good :) Just got an email with a list of everyone hired for a meeting this monday-so I get to meet my coworkers in a few days!!!

13. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

May 3, 2007

sounds great ~ congrats

14. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

May 4, 2007

I'm glad things worked out for you. Happy house hunting!

15. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

May 4, 2007

Well I finally sign papers to make it official on Wednesday, yipee! Must have taken them 3 weeks to get back to me!:)