Offer, but not quite sure...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by breezymarie07, Aug 15, 2013.

  1. breezymarie07

    breezymarie07 Companion

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2013
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2013

    So I had an interview Monday that I thought went fine, but was pretty sure I didn't get the position mainly because I didn't think I was a great fit for the school nor the school for me. I was told I would hear by Wednesday either way. Didn't hear Wednesday.

    This morning I had another interview at a school where for the first time, I felt leaving SO happy and confident. I clicked with the staff during my tour and loved the secretary; I definitely feel that school is where I belong.

    Fast forward to an hour and I had a voicemail from Interview A saying "i'd like to offer you a job". It was a 3 or 4 grade position and she didn't specify. The voicemail was a little off-putting to me because of her wording as well as she didn't seem very excited to offer me the position.

    Interview B did not specify when they would let me know of their decision.

    I have NO idea what to do, I know it may be snobby, if you will, especially in this market, but I'm considering turning down the job. I truly do not feel it's a good fit for myself and I would hate for that to affect the students. In addition, I'm worried how hard it would be for me to leave that district as if I took it, I would only be there for a year and try to obtain a position in my home district.

    I"m just not sure what to do. Job A reports on Monday and job B reports the 26th. My mom also thinks I should decline, and for her to say that is a huge deal.

    Anyone have any advice? I know how absolutely ridiculous I sound for not wanted to take a position offered to me and I am grateful, but I also feel it's because the person they wanted declined?
     
  2.  
  3. elateacher4life

    elateacher4life Cohort

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2013

    Jobs are so hard to come by. I am not sure I would decline the first offer without having another job offer in hand.
     
  4. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Aug 15, 2013

    Did interview B give you any indication about when they would have a decision for you? You could always call Interview A and say you need 24-48 hours to think about the offer.
     
  5. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,606
    Likes Received:
    2,712

    Aug 15, 2013

    I would not turn down this job.
     
  6. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    3

    Aug 15, 2013

    Do you have current employment you'd be satisfied with if you don't have another offer coming?
     
  7. fratbrats

    fratbrats Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Messages:
    463
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2013

    You need to decide if you could work at this first school for a year and then possibly find something next year? And after having a year of experience! If you decline, you may not find another position this school year. It is very late in the summer!

    It might turn out that you are a good fit for this school! You are working with your grade-level team and the students, not necessarily the principal. Of course, the principal is the leader of the school, but you are a professional, teaching and managing your own class of students! :)

    Good luck on your decision! :)
     
  8. Tasha

    Tasha Phenom

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2007
    Messages:
    4,391
    Likes Received:
    5

    Aug 15, 2013

    I would call school b and ask what their time frame is because you've been offered another position. Their response may help you decide.
     
  9. MrsC

    MrsC Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2005
    Messages:
    14,057
    Likes Received:
    1,883

    Aug 15, 2013

    What is it about School A that makes you feel it won't be a "good fit"?
     
  10. breezymarie07

    breezymarie07 Companion

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2013
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2013

    Yes, I do have other employment that I would be satisfied with for the year. To be honest, up until this past weekend when my interviews were scheduled, I was happy with my plan of subbing, coaching at my dream district's HS and working at another job this school year.

    What makes me feel that I'm not a good fit is that it is an open concept classroom (there are no walls or windows anywhere) which I have had experience in and did not like it. The district also has a negative reputation. I'm worried that if I enter that district, I won't be able to leave..if that makes sense? The very first thing I said to my mom after my interview was, "It went well, I liked them and I think they liked me, but I just don't feel I'm the best fit for this school."

    I will call school B tomorrow morning (if I don't hear from them by about 9:30) and see what their time frame is, that is a good idea.
     
  11. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,714
    Likes Received:
    1,685

    Aug 15, 2013

    I'm going to disagree with the majority here. Since you are comfortable with the job you have in place, you have the ability to actually go with your "gut". Something is telling you to back off and there is usually a good reason that our mind tells us that.

    If it were me and I was in the same position as you, I would go with the plan to call the other school and get their timeline. If they can't let you know in time, I would feel free to turn the offer down.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. miss-m
Total: 303 (members: 2, guests: 276, robots: 25)
test