offer acceptance

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kenny2teach, May 12, 2008.

1. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

May 12, 2008

I was offered one teaching position and scheduled a time to sign a contract...but have now interviewed at a school I am more interested in. If the second school offers me a position, am I a jerk if I break my verbal agreement with the first school?

very worried about coming off as a jerk..any suggestions?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2008

Well, your word should be as good as gold. If you have verbally accepted this offer at School 1, then I would stick with it. Did you have this interview set up with School 2 b/f you accepted the offer?

4. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

May 12, 2008

no I did not, they called the day after...

5. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

May 12, 2008

I think the question was "are you interested in joining our school?" and I said..."yes" then they said they would call me to set up a time to sign a contract.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

I feel until you sign...you are not obligated. Don't consider yourself a jerk...you are human and you have a right to choose. Now, what happens if the first place called you back and said, "We are sorry, but due to budget cuts, or a sudden change in school board policy, we can't offer the position." Then you would have been out of both chances!

forgive me...because I have had more jobs that I care to share...and I am unemployed a whole week tomorrow...

so, I tend to be more of a egomaniac...

to make a softer landing..why not call and say...

"I am terribly sorry, but something came up. I am still very interested, but unable to come back on Tuesday...is it possible we can reschedule for ___________? (a week after the 2nd interview)"

you are not saying yes or no

that way, if the 2nd school makes a better offer, you can call them back and say you can't commit to the job. If the 2nd school falls thru, and the 1st school wants you bad enough...they will wait for you.

anything could happen between now and August!

If you are not good with this...I wouldn't not interview for more than one job at a time...

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 12, 2008

This topic seems to be coming up alot. How do I drop one school for another and not be the bad guy? Well, the answer is you can't do that. You ultimately have to way the risks. Do you want the possibility of losing job A when job B doesn't offer you a position? Do you want to risk administrators letting it be known that you didn't stand up to your word? Only you know how much that risk is worth.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

I feel your words don't mean much until you sign...

again...you could get into orientation...and they find out your certificate expires this month...and technically, they can't hire you until you renew it! anything that could go wrong...

Too many times..I didn't make it past probation. I think it stinks. If they don't like you, they can get rid of you. If they want you, they will wait, bend rules, and look the other way.

Are you sure you have a bona-fide offer?

I think until I hear, "Master Pre-K, I would like to officially extend you the offer of Preschool Teacher for ABC School begining Aug 22, 2009..."

anything is questionable...

again...like we are dating..

I like you
    would you like to come over?
    can I take you out?

is NOT

I want you to be my wife, my lady..I don't want us to see anyone else..

Yes, you are mumbling, Master Pre-k has issues...being unemployed makes everything relevant...

are you interested in joining our school is not enough for me...

listen for extend...offer, recommend you, invite you as a full time teacher...

9. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

May 12, 2008

well I wasn't planning on telling job A until job B gave and offer and I signed a contract...the risk is high. I suppose I could ask to see the contract and ask for time to think about it. There is nothing wrong with that

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

uh...I'm gonna step away...

search CareerBuilder for some more leads..

I think you are borderline flirting... (with disaster)

If, IMO, you ask to see the contract, there is a good chance Job A is almost certain that you have Job B waiting in the wings. The only reason you would want to see anything first is to make a comparison.

they know that.

good luck!

11. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 12, 2008

You can always tell school B that you have an offer at school A, however you are really interested in school B and wanted to know how soon they would be making a decision. Until you sign a contract it is easier to change your mind.

12. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

May 12, 2008

I have told job b this, they said they will let me know by Friday. I have talked to some people in law and they said that as long as I haven't signed a contract, I am free to change my mind. For now, I am just going to relax and wait to see if this is even going to be an issue.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2008

I think about it this way:
    What if the shoe were on the other foot? If school A said that they were really interested in you and asked you to come in to sign a contract, then called you the next day and said, "We know we said that we wanted you, but someone better came along this morning. Thanks for your interest and good luck with your search." Would that be acceptable, or would people be crying "foul"!

I agree with others; your word needs to mean something.

14. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 13, 2008

This is by no means legal advice, but an oral agreement can be a binding contract just like a paper contract. Employment contracts are rarely oral, but it can happen.

15. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 13, 2008

I really agree with this. The job market is so competitive that it would be nice to retain some civility. Companies revoke offers left and right in the corporate world; it's nice that an offer still means something in school districts. I'd hate to see that change.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2008

My mother, an administrator, has given me the following the advice:

When a school calls with an offer, you gush and say 'Thank you!' a million times and 'Yes, I would love to teach for you!' a million times and 'I must talk this over with my significant other before I can give you an official answer'. Then you call the other school that you really want a job at, and tell them they have 12 hours to make a decision. ;) Well, maybe not 12, but something like that. She said you always gush, because the principal will feel like they are offering you a gift of some sort, but then you don't officially commit, giving you an out if you and your sign. other decide it's not going to work, or you get an offer from another school, etc.

Even though you didn't distinguish between officially accepting and unofficially accepting, I think you'd still be ok to pull out. My mom hired a teacher a few years ago who had signed the contract, put up bulletin boards and attended the first day of orientation and THEN pulled out to teach at his favored district. Now THAT'S being a jerk. The district didn't pursue legal action in that extreme case, and I don't think they would against you at all.

17. sunshine28

sunshine28 New Member

May 13, 2008

I am in the same situation. School A offered a job and pretty much told me if I wasn't going to take the job don't waste their time. No contract has been signed and they never called me after the board meeting to tell me if I had even been recommended. Now school B has called and told me that I have officially been hired with them. School b is where all of my children attend and is only five minutes from where I live. Now I have to make the phone call to the principal who told me not to waste his time. I am really nervous about doing this. But like someone told me I have to do whats best for me and mine. Since no contract was signed I am not obligated to work for them. If anyone has any advice please let me know as well.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2008

I think you are fine, sunshine. Especially if they never called you. What's with people in education not knowing how to use a phone?? Sheesh.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

ditto...

the job listings that are posted are totally opposite of the organizations they represent!

I say get this party started sunshine.. :D