off subject question...

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by diz, Jan 28, 2006.

1. diz

diz Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

I couldn't find a better forum for this question. If there is a more appropriate place please let me know.

I have yet to pick a school for my single subject credential in English.
    For all kinds of reasons, most of them purely practical, I'm leaning toward National University. I wonder, though, if a prospective employer might be prejudiced against a commercial university program. My undergraduates degrees and TESOL cert are from UC, but I don't want to do UC or Cal State. Any thoughts out there about this? Does it matter where one gets a credential?

3. ddmansprty

ddmansprty Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

Hey Diz,

I am also working on my credential. I am going to a Cal State, mainly because in many cases the costs of going to a commercial school are higher. From what I hear, if a district needs you, and you are qualified, they will hire you, regardless of where you went to school. My only recommendation is to contact someone within the district that you wish to work to see if they have any biases.

Good luck!

4. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

It's interesting that the name National University was mentioned in the first message.

I was advised by a high school official to try National University with the added comment: "No one cares where you get the credential from".

I don't know how true this is, but it was a real life input from someone in the business for a long time.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2006

Considering your undergraduate degree is from U.C., I wouldn't give it a thought. Lots of folks do their teacher preparation through National University.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

I've heard it both ways, actually, so I guess I'd vote with ddmansprty: ask around in the region where you'd like to work to see if NU opens the door for you or closes it. Depending on where you are, there may also be other programs to consider if you don't want to go with UC or CSU: check the list of approved teacher prep programs at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/educator-prep/approved-programs.html (click on the middle link). Satellite programs of established bricks-and-mortar schools might be worth looking into, too: Chapman, Redlands, and La Verne are just a few of that have been known as teacher schools at their base campuses in Southern California for decades and decades, and I'd guess the satellite programs would probably be pretty good too.

7. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Jan 31, 2006

Ive been doing National University. It works well for me. It costs alot about 1,500 per class per month and you have to take 14 classes. You can do this quickly and easily. I took almost all my classes online. I couldnt think of a better way to do it.

John