Of these states & areas, where to go for work?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CertifiedinEngl, Jul 29, 2010.

1. CertifiedinEngl

CertifiedinEngl New Member

Jul 29, 2010

I'm a new poster, as you can see, but this is my third year of job seeking. I've been subbing, been interviewing, but nothing has happened. I searched in Georgia for two years and now in Florida for 1/2 year.

My wife may have a chance to relocate. Where should we look that I might have a shot at a job?

Here are the options: CT - DC - DE - NJ - NY - MD -VA.

I have NY & GA certifications in middle & high school English, a middle school science cert, and Official Statements of Eligibility for Florida in those areas. I have 8 years of SAT & PSAT prep teaching, plus one actual classroom and 1.5 of subbing.

I'm trying to stay positive but it's wearing to have gone back to college in my 40's for the sole purpose of being a teacher (it's all I've ever wanted to do) only to have a job for one year.

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2010

New Jersey and New York are TOUGH markets. In NJ, there have been many many layoffs due to budget constraints so the few jobs that are posted have THOUSANDS of resumes submitted for every ONE opening. If you don't have certification in NJ, you can pretty much cut yourself out of the competition. NYC is under a hiring FREEZE- elsewhere in the state there are openings, but I wouldn't say there is a high demand for English teachers- that's typically a glutted category. :sorry:

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

I think out of those options Maryland and Virginia would probably be your best chance of a job (I looked into MD seriously this year and while it is competitive it isn't as bad as many other parts of the country). In Maryland I know that there are quite a few large county school systems and I think it is the same in Virginia except that there are more city school systems there. Your best bet is probably to look at all of the systems right around Washington DC and Baltimore. Also, DC might be a good option, but I'm not too sure about that.

I live in Upstate NY and while there is some hiring it is extremely competitive. You might have a shot at getting interviews with a great resume and cover letter once you get NY certification. If you want any more information about NY certification or looking for a job in NY (besides NYC hiring practices which I know nothing about) please ask and I'll be happy to help.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

I agree. Va, Md, DC

Fairfax County Schools
    Falls Church City Schols
    Prince William County
    Stafford County
    Howard Co
    Montgomery Co.

I know Fairfax County is still hiring.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 29, 2010

I'll add to the advice of definitely not NJ or NY. Very competitive even before layoffs and cut backs got thrown into the mix. I think DE is as tough as PA which I know for sure is tough, so probably not DE either.

And well, DC was in the news for laying off 5% of their teachers and more were put on a one year probation so they'll need to replace the ones already fired and the ones who don't do whatever it is they need to do next year. So based on that info I'd give DC a try, assuming of course you'd be willing to work there.

7. CertifiedinEngl

CertifiedinEngl New Member

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for the welcome and the solid advice!

Kangaroo, I have the NY certification already but I appreciate your offer. We lived in NY when I quit my police job and went back full-time to school to be a teacher.

You guys are great....I'm open to any and all other advice as well. I'm still sending resumes out down here, too, hoping that something in Miami/Broward/Palm Beach comes into play - put off the move, perhaps.

8. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 29, 2010

I had been looking for a job in CT for 2 years before I decided to go international. There are layoffs here and schools closing. Granted, this is elementary. I don't know exact numbers on middle and high school but I do know that some of my friends that I graduated with have had difficulty finding positions, as well. It is all about the budgets here, and they aren't good.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

Sorry, I missed that in your original post. Definitely apply to New York schools then if you want to move up here (it can't hurt to apply)! You can start with OLAS and then look at individual school districts that don't use OLAS.

10. Ocean10

Ocean10 New Member

Jul 29, 2010

mccl14,

Please tell me about the process you followed to ramp up international teaching. I saw a web site for teaching in Abu Dhabi, but I am unsure about the details.

Thanks.

11. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Hey certified...I am in PA and it is the toughest market it has EVER been here, BUT, MD is doing a lot of recruiting from this area and I have seen lots of opportunities...I found this on their webstie, maybe it can help...Out of all you posted, I would say MD, VA is a tough market right now also...If North Carolina is an option, I know that Hoke County was hiring! Good Luck! http://www.marylandpublicschools.or.../charles_hickey_ed.htm?WBCMODE=Present%25%3e%

12. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

NYC is hiring Science teachers.

13. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I strongly disagree with the above.

I have been looking for a teaching job for a few years now. Howard County is VERY difficult to get into. That school system offers the highest pay in Maryland and a lot of teachers are trying to go after any positions Howard County has. Their Human Resource is the MOST DIFFICULT to get in touch with.

Unfortunately, I would suggest not wasting time with Montgomery County. They JUST started hiring external candidates, but there are very FEW positions offered and principals are only looking at people they know. The reason there are few positions is because they cut 200 positions within the system this year since their proposed budget did not get approved to hire teachers, so they had to fill the vacant positions with the contracted teachers who got cut.

As for Fairfax, it's the best school system in the nation and it's VERY competitive to get a job within the system. A lot of teachers are applying there because of the amount they pay and their strong academic reputation. The market is fierce unless you know someone within the system.

Sorry to let other people feel down, but I thought I should share the info since I talk to a lot of teachers within MD and the DC area. You may have luck with DCPS since over 200 teachers were laid off this summer, but it's a tough school system. Good Luck.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

^^^^
    Great info. I had no idea.
    I do know for a fact that Fairfax Co is hiring though. I knew no one in the system and got a job.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2010

Too bad you did not say Texas. We have had a much better year for hiring. It does not seem QUITE as difficult as it has been in the past. There are jobs here. And the weather... well, it may be hot, but it is beautiful. ;)

16. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Good luck to you :) I feel wherever you go it will be tough, but with enough determination you will get something ;)

17. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

I agree. I'm surprised that someone else was saying that Fairfax is really competitive for jobs. Every single one of my friends that has applied for a job with the county has been offered a job. You just need to contact the individual principals (don't just apply online and expect to get a call like they tell you). I don't know about you all, but this seems like a lot of vacancies to me, and they are hiring outside of the county (I just had dinner with a Ffx the other night and we talked about it) :
    https://hrnet.fcps.edu/vl/Vacancy

I know for a fact that Prince William (right next to Fairfax) is also hiring. I work for PW and love it. At my school we hired for all our positions before school got out, but there are still many schools with openings (84 open positions):
    https://jobs.pwcs.edu/Jobs/Jobpost.exe

I think that the most important thing to stress is DON'T JUST APPLY ONLINE and expect a phone call for an interview. These counties will tell you to just apply through their website, but you REALLY need to contact Ps.

18. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Sorry, I just saw this now. I basically decided that I wanted to teach internationally and signed up on a bunch of websites geared toward it. I know that you can sign up with recruiters that collect a fee, but I did not do this, although I know some are very reputable. Initially I was looking at going to the Dominican Republic through a school that contacted me, but I decided it wasn't for me, and I contacted a couple of free recruiting agencies looking for teachers for Abu Dhabi. The ads or website you are seeing are probably the same program I am going through, which is a massive reform of the education system to convert from Arabic instruction to English instruction. They are hiring around 1,000 native English speakers this year to help with the reform. They hired close to 500 last year, as well. Teach Away is a great site/program to go through for this, and they have other destinations as well. I talked with them, but ended up not officially using them only because of a timing issue. They are great to work with, if that is who you are looking into. They are still hiring for Abu Dhabi, but I believe the last round of interviews is going on right now or very soon for this year so you'd have to really look into it right away. It will be a great experience, and if you don't want to go there, there are sooo many options. You can send me a message and I can help you get started if you'd like. I did an online application, phone interview, and an in person interview before I was offered a contract. It was a straightforward process. Now is the hard part with the packing!