Of Mice and Men Observation

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms.SLS, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

So I have my first evaluation at my new school coming up. AFTER I told my AP the unit we were beginning, she more or less told me she feels like Of Mice an Men is a pointless book unless it's taught really really well.

I need some ideas that will blow her socks off. She's coming in on the first day of the unit. Here's what I'm thinking so far...

1. Play 30 seconds of the band Of Mice and Men, have the kids make an "inference" as to what unit we are about to start. Read a couple quotes from the band that talk about why the book inspired them so much.
    2. Start a discussion about marginalized communities. Graphic organizer, pair share. Watch a news clip about a local autistic boy who was denied serviced and bribed to leave the district. Discuss, pair share, etc.
    3. Read first few pages of book.
    4. Closing quickwrite about their first impressions of the novel and what they expect from it.

Other ideas that have worked well for you? I've never taught this book, and wouldn't even be teaching it now if my department lead hadn't told me that it was the course of study for 9th graders at this school.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

I think you have a great first day plan...will you have enough time to get to it all?

Does your AP know this novel is part of the 9th grade course of study?

Teach the historical context during the unit as well.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

I'm not an ela teacher but as a student I'd be interested to see how this all ties into the book so I think your lesson will work!! Good luck!

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

Oh, forgot to include that their HW for the week is to research some of the historical elements and make a brochure.

As far as the time goes... I'm not sure but I'd much rather over plan than have time left over.

The part I'm questioning is the part with the band. Do you think that's not "academic" enough? My rational was making it interesting and relevant to 14 year olds..

6. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Sep 8, 2013

Wow! I totally disagree with your AP. I love teaching OMAM!! It is a great book to teach literary elements with. Especially foreshadow. I've also done the brochures, as well as posters and timelines, of the time period as an intro to the book. My students seemed to enjoy it.

I think that part with the band is a good idea, as long as you can connect the name of the band to the name of the book...I've never heard of the band, though.

7. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

I would definitely leave that part in. My admin loves interesting and relevant!

I also wouldn't worry about if your admin likes the book. My supervisor frequently says things like "Ugh, factor and remainder theorems---terrible topic, I hate teaching it", but she knows it is part of the curriculum.

8. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

I think her thought is that English teachers tend to teach things because they are "classics" without any other real reason behind it. (The cannon is a whole separate argument I don't want to get in to).

I'll leave that bit in. The band is a screamo/numetal band that is also called Of Mice an Men.