# of Interviews to Get that Job

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms. I, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2006

Just out of curiosity, how many interviews did you go on before you finally got hired? For those who've went on many, did you eventually take any kind of job interview preparation to better prepare you for the next one(s)? What did you do to better prepare?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2006

7. And I learned between two minutes and two years after I interviewed at each... that I didn't belong there at all. :)

No, I didn't eventually take a job preparation course. It was just God and I. I knew when the school was right... and now I know... the school I am at is the right school for me.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2006

Hmm. I worked at 5 different schools and interviewed over 10 times throughout the course of it all. By the time I interviewed the last time, I believe all the previous headaches had prepared me to cinch the job and I got it (it's where I wanted to end up at). I think if you can go on many interviews for jobs you don't even want, it helps you decide how to interview and where you best fit. Kind of like dating! The more men you date, the more you understand what you want and what you don't want!

5. Mrsstarz

Mrsstarz Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

I have 2 interviews last week. 1 for a public school in a great district (elementary teacher) and the other for a private school teaching 6/7th math. I knew what I wanted--public, elementary, but I let God make the decision for me. The public school was my first interview and I felt oddly comfortable! I was called back to present a lesson this week. The private school I knew wasn't a good fit. One of the people interviewing me rolled their eyes when I asked them what their expectations were of a new teacher in their school.

The public school called me within 2 hours of my presenting a lesson and told me that I got the job. It took me 2 interviews for the one position, but a total of 2 interviews to get 1 called back.

Now I have to figure out what to next! A good thing!!

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 20, 2006

How incredibly rude! I wonder what kind of teacher would be a good fit at that school...

7. Daisytheteacher

Daisytheteacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

I was interviewed by about 9 different schools. I fiinally got the position at my last interview! Here are a few questions I was asked:

1. Why this grade level?
    2. Are you familiar with our math/language arts/etc. curriculum?
    3. What are three negative characteristics about you?
    4. How do you get to know your students?
    5. What would the first day of school look like?
    6. What if a parent says you are the worst teacher ever?

Just be prepared to answer straight forward questions and thoes that are senario questions.

Oh...and I even went on a few interviews at schools where I would not teach at all just to get interviewing experience. This really helped me.

Good luck!

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

I had 7 interviews before my first job. I took an interviewing class in college during my last semester. It was helpful in the sense that they gave sample questions and we got to have a mock interview with principals in the area. Nothing was as helpful as the real thing, though. :) After my first few I became much more comfortable with my answers.

9. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 20, 2006

I had one interview at the school that I really wanted to teach at, but didn't get the job. I was never called for another interview, even though I talked to a lot of principals when I took my resumes to them. The school I was hired at was one that I was not even considering because it was 30 miles from my house; however, this was where God wanted me and he put me there!

10. Mrsstarz

Mrsstarz Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

I really thought that was a good question to ask and am very thankful that I wasn't hired at that school. I think she was threatened because I am good...lol I definitely think it helps to practice questions and review sites like this where people have experience!

11. cactusfive

cactusfive Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

I went on four interviews at different schools and received offers from two of them. This site helped a lot with preparing for the interviews...and of course after I was hired for lesson planning and support.

12. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

I actually had three interviews. One was with a principal only. The second with a group of principals called a "snapshot interview" and the third one with a principal and teacher. Within my district, I wanted to transfer to a new school and was interviewed for that position also. So, all said, I have had a total of 4 interviews in two districts.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2006

I was really lucky. I went on ONE interview at the school where I really wanted to teach, and I got the job. A few hours after my interview, I ran into one of the people on the interview committee who congratulated me on getting the job. I was surprised because I hadn't heard anything back from the principal yet. As it turned out, I was the ONLY person they interviewed.

I had subbed a lot for the high school and middle school the year before, which is probably why I was their only interview. They already knew a lot about my work. After a year I ended up at the middle school via transfer . . . scheduling changes at the high school made my job "disappear".

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

I was offered a job last summer at my second interview. I did not take it because it was half time with no benefits. I am kicking myself now. As of today I have been on 11 interviews, at 9 different school, in the last year. Hopefully I will have something by this time next week!

15. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

HI

I had 3 interviews in one district- and knew I wasn't a good fit with them- just a feeling it wasn't good.

One interview at the school I really wanted- but didn't get.

Then two interviews at two other districts, and both offered me jobs. I really wanted the first one- but the second was more money and better benefits- so now I don't know which to take.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

Is it a lot more money? Or just a little? I would go with the school I am comfortable with if it is almost the same. You should write down the pros and cons for each school. Maybe even visit each than make your decision.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2006

2 for my first, 1 for my second.

I guess that I am lucky!!!

18. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 21, 2006

I am lucky... I went on two interviews and was offered both positions... but then again I have a degree in math and wanted to teach high school. There must not be that many of us floating around!

19. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Over the past 3 "job searching seasons", 7 different school district interviews, 2nd round interviews at 2 districts, offered a job this spring (finally!) at a third round interview for one of those.

I did not take any job prep courses, just did aLOT of research online (like at this site) before interviewing this year and that really helped. It helped me feel more prepared and confident. Also, the past years of subbing and working as a sp.ed. aide (I'm el. ed. certified) helped me give more examples and have more experiences.

20. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Wow...I feel really blessed. I have had 2 jobs...and got hired after I had one interview at each.

I would have been an absolute nervous wreck if I had to interview so much.

All you who are still interviewing...hang in there. You are doing great for just surviving that many interviews.

21. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jul 21, 2006

I was hired over the phone based solely on my application; I refused to sign any paperwork until I'd met with representatives in person to have MY questions answered.

It was a SPED position, autistic program, and though it was my first year teaching, I had six years in the SPED field in other jobs. Also, I was moving out of state and VA is usually looking for teachers.

We'll see how it goes next time around though, when I'm searching in upstate NY.

22. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

I had 5 interviews, and two the week that I got my job. :) I'm not looking forward to moving to the district that is closer to my house. I currently drive 35 minutes to another town. :( But I do love my job, but I'm not looking forward to interviewing anytime soon.

23. Heddy Rae

Heddy Rae Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Yesterday, I went on my 15th interview! I have 12 years of contracted teaching experience and a Master's degree, and I keep kicking myself because I receive a lot of call backs but just never seem to get the job. My previous administrators and team mates gave me a mock interview to assess my skills and I have incorporated their advice into my interview skills, but I still am not having any luck. I have also talked to administrators that I have interviewed with and improved my weaknesses too. I am getting tired and depressed from all this. Last night I looked at what I will need to do to sub, but I HATE subbing because I have done it for 7 years when I first got my undergraduate degree. I am also looking outside of schools too----hopefully something will come up soon!
    H

24. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 21, 2006

It took one interview, and that was just a technicality. I was a TA in the same school for two years. When a job opened up I approached the principal for it, and she was glad to give it to me, but in order for everything to be on the up and up I had to interview.

25. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

Is your 12 years within the school district that you are trying to get into?

26. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 21, 2006

I subbed for 4.5 years. Each year I had probably 2-4 interviews. I finally got a teacher job for this fall. As many others have said this was all God. Though I thought I was ready I wasn't and I don't feel like my time subbing was wasted (though at the time I thought it was). The perfect job has fallen into my lap--the retiring teacher gave me everything from her classroom, the staff wanted me so bad they were giving me the interview questions, and the student families are great!

27. Heddy Rae

Heddy Rae Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

No, Mrs. Barrett, my years are from TX and from teaching in Charter schools in CO. The district I live in really does not like charter schools as they take money away from it. I am starting to think that teaching at charters is not a good idea....... Hindsight is great, but I have 7 years experience in charters now and really want to move back to public. The pay is much better and charter parents tend to be rescuers. I actually turned down my contract because I really thought that with my Master's and experience I would get something by now----that may have been a big mistake!

BTW I noticed you were from IA---I did my undergraduate degree through ISU and subbed for 3.5 years in Des Moines. Both my children were born in IA and my mom still teaches in SW IA. What a small world!

H

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2006

Naturally, some people have a harder time than others regarding getting hired. As you all know, it also depends on how many open positions there are for each interview & who the other applicants are. So far, I've gone on 2 interviews since graduating last month w/ my MA & 2 credentials. I'm currently waiting to see what the 2nd district says.

29. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

Had three interviews for one position and got it. I have a degree in math too ,like you JustWondering, and I am going for high school too.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2006

math is certainly its own planet!

As a math teacher, I have never interviewed for a job and not gotten it. And while I'm sure that some of it has to do with my dazzling smile and remarkable interviewing ability, I have to give some credit to the fact that there are never enough qualified math teachers around.

31. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2006

This year I interviewed twice at the same school for different positions. I got hired after the second interview--but not for a position I interviewed for! I interviewed for 4th or 5th and got 1st!!

Last year, I interviewed 5 times and didn't get anything. I really didn't want to go back to subbing since I had just finished my Master's and had been teacher for 4 years. I actually didn't start subbing until Jan. I gave myself some time to heal emotionally from not getting a job at the school I had worked for over 8 years.
    When I started subbing I promised myself that I would enjoy it. After all, you don't have to do any planning, you only have to deal with the "rascals" of the class for one day at a time, and you can pick and choose which days you want to work and for whom!

I walked into one school and fell in love instantly! I made myself known to the principal and told him how I enjoyed that school my second time subbing there.

That's where I got hired last month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 23, 2006

Yay!!! It was meant to be. This was how I felt too!

33. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

I was blessed. I interviewed at my university's job fair in March last year with five districts. One of the interviews I included on my schedule was for a small district in my area. That principal told me that day he was interested, and the rest is history. I only interviewed formally with his school site, got hired, and I love it. It was definitely a GOD THING! As an older "rookie teacher," I was worried about age being a negative--but he snagged me for Kindergarten, a perfect fit for my experience as a mom (empty nest) and Sunday School/Children's Church teacher for years!!

34. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

Twelve! 12 interviews in one year to get ONE offer. I think it is just what God had for me. I built a lot of character during that time!

35. Godsgift

Godsgift Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Keep your head up Heddy, I know that something will come soon for you. You are in my prayers.

36. Heddy Rae

Heddy Rae Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Thank you so much, Godsgift. I know that what is to be will be, but my time and His time are often a little different! Right now, I want to use my degrees and move on in my professional goals. Oh well, I will have faith and listen to my heart. Subbing can be good and maybe I will have enough time to totally organize all of my teaching materials----that would be awesome and a huge job!

Thanks for the response----it means a lot to me. ;)

H