Odd request :(

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by meri78, Sep 22, 2005.

1. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

hi guys (& girls!!)-i'm writing because i had a parent make sort of an odd request today. he came into school to ask me for a list of titles of books that would be appropriate for his child to read. our school only sends decodable (paper, kids get to keep) books home two or three nights a week & apparently this is not enough for him!! :( i recommend that the parents simply have the kids reread old stories on the nights when no books come home. i also suggest going to the library-which apparently this parent did but was overwhelmed (understandably so) at the plethora of books and not sure as to which ones his child could actually read. so i guess what i'm looking for is a list of book titles for beginning/emergent readers. if anyone has this or knows where i could get it, please let me know! thanks a bunch!!! :) -meri

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 22, 2005

What grade?

I know for Kindergarten my students in the past like reading the Clifford decodable books. I know parents have mentioned to me that they use the Bob books with their children at home.
    I also purchased books from www.starfall.com which is a great sight if you haven't checked it out.

4. Happystamper

Happystamper Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

Talk to the local librarians. They are usually very happy to help with things like this.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 22, 2005

Our students are welcome to check out books every night. They are required to read 15 to 30 minutes every night depending on the grade. This is K-12. They count for AR reading and Book-It by Pizza Hut ---reading incentive program.
    www.renlearn.com AR click on quizzes. In the blank type in author or use the arrow button and go to author and type in author. Tells the points the books is forth, grade level and etc.
    This an excellent site, also….
    http://src.scholastic.com/ecatalog/default.asp

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00001316.shtml

http://www.beavton.k12.or.us/

there is a sizeable list of leveled readers and trade books at www.arliteracymodel.com http://home.comcast.net/~ngiansante/

http://registration.beavton.k12.or.us/lbdb/

6. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 22, 2005

If you tell the parent what level his kid is on guided reading wise and then refer him to the Matching Books to Readers text by Fountis and Pinnell that may help.. I wih I could get a parent as invlved in the child's reading as he is.. what a blessing

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 22, 2005

Amen to that, Teacherchick!!!!
    The request of the father is not what I would call "odd"
    Unfortunately, his request is very uncommon.

8. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

thanks for all the suggestions. please do not think i thought the parent was weird for asking me for this. it's just that i've never been asked this b-4 & i was caught off guard, to say the least. i guess i was the one feeling "odd"-that's all! anyhoo, if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to post them. let the reading begin!!

p.s. i teach 1st grade. :)

-meri

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2005

It's really not an odd request at all- the parent is viewing you as the expert on his child's reading level. In my school we read ALL trade books and keep careful track of children's reading 'levels' so it's easy for me to make recommendations. I get asked this question A LOT. How about Biscuit books, Poppleton.....

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 22, 2005

meri78,
    If you go to the California Department of Education Website and click on k-12 recommended quality literature, you will find lists according to grade level.
    Do you happen to use Open Court for reading? If so, let me know and I can post a list of books that relate to each of your units.
    Don't worry, I don't think you are weird! I can see how you might have been caught off guard by him. How wonderful that he is taking such an active role in his child's education.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 23, 2005

Every student in our school is required to read 15 to 30 minutes every night, depending on the grade. We are a K-12 school. We have decodeable books. We also have good size libraries in each class room. We use the AR leveling and level all our books. If you don't have a library in your room I reccomend that you get one started immediately. Get books cheap from garage sales, flea markets, thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army shops and Scholastics has a program, which you send home a list of books parents can buy and with every order you receive free books. Send a note home with students stating that if they have any books that their child has out grown or that they don't read anymore that you would love to have the book for your classroom library. Maybe they will donate a book in their children's name in honor of their birthday. Put a label in the book to put the child's name on.
    ***Also ask families to save the Betty Crocker "Fun for Education" tokens on cereal ---do a Google search. You get 10 cents for every label. Tell the families that you are going to buy books for your library with the money.
    ****If you buy the book with your money put your name on the book so when you move or change rooms you know which books are yours.
    ****You need books of all levels.
    *****Make reading fun. A Reading Party is fun reading award. Students wear sweats, socks no shoes in the classroom, lay on blankets and pillows. Each student brings a snack bag and sometimes the teacher furnishes the treat bags. Suggested items are raisins, marshmallows, pretzels, cereal (fruit loops, honey combs, and etc.)no candy please! and a drink (in a bottle with a lid) water or juice. Mystery readers come and read a book or give a puppet play . Mystery readers: principle, room parent, teacher, secretary, janitor, teacher’s husband and etc. Make bookmarks on colored paper and laminate. A time for partner reading, quiet reading, read with teacher, adult or the mystery reader is ask to stay a while after they read aloud. Listen to a short book on tape CD whatever. -----One year the teacher's story was Stone Soup. We had a big roaster, a stone that had been washed, ahead of time a list of soup items went home and if parents wanted they shared something for the soup. Only one didn’t send something. We used lots of potatoes --they are cheap. We put large cans of broth on the list also. The meat cutter saved us some bones –free –ask ahead of time. We had some of everything in a box in case something didn't show up. At the end of the day we served soup and invited our guest readers to join us. The soup smells so good cooking and taste good also.
    Another idea is “Purple Cow Reading Party” Like above and serve purple cows. ( a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fill the cup with grape soda pop. Or “Root beer Reading Party” (a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fill cup with root beer)
    Our reading days are (half a day) "Read Across America Day" and Dr. Seuss birthday, March. Helps students earn a bunch of AR points.
    REWARDS:
    Blockbuster -free kids video rental
    Krispy Kreme-free donuts for A’s
    Shoney’s – gives all kinds of free treats
    McDonalds – coupons for free treats ---reading incentive program
    Outback – gives free kids meal coupons
    Longhorn – give free kids meal coupons
    Duckin Donuts – give coupons for completing homework
    Office Max and Office Depot – give you free ream of paper for an empty ink cartridge or toner you take in. One only per visit. ---in Kansas, don’t know about other states…
    Pizza Hut -reading program runs from Oct to March. Request as soon as possible. Free pizza, pins, posters and a pizza party in March. It is called Book-it…. Go to Pizza Hut, click on Book-it reading awards. Good by it’s self and works great with AR program. Highlight magazine – will give you a bunch of free stickers and stuff. Send home sample and tell students (you get free stickers and all they have to do is return the form) They do not have to buy the magazine. Could do this during open house.
    Make and laminate bookmarks
    Make certificates for end of school. Make sure everyone gets one. One can be for number of books read. (announce number read by the top three only) print first place on blue, Second on red, third on red and rest on white.
    Check out books, tapes and videos from your public library. They will usually let you keep longer than normal for class room use… Many parents will donate books that their kids have out grown when they clean their rooms. Add a note to the first of year letter stating you would like all their no longer used books when they clean out their children’s rooms.
    AR program. Tally the number of books that students read and let them know how many books the class read the year before them. Set up a visual (graph) so they can see how far they have to go to reach the class's goal. It was exciting and we celebrated when we reached 1037 books last year as a class. Some students are more involved than others, I just take those who are not reading and try and find another idea to "hook" them into reading.
    BOOK CLUB ---Harry Potter, hardy Boys, Boxcar Children, Narnia Chronicles, Berenstain Bears, Clifford, Dr. Seuss and etc. Each child that reads five books of same series at 80% AR score to be a club member. Club members receive their names on the bulletin board in the hall, a reading button, make these and after the club has ten members, they meet in the library for lunch with a free cup of ice cream. The group discusses the series and vote on their favorite. We also put gummed stars by their name on a poster outside the library.

BOOK BAG IDEAS
    Arthur D.W. --- http://pbskids.org/arthur/print/playmaker/script/index.html This is a wonderful Arthur site. A play script. Mask patterns to make. Arthur bookmarks. Include a bookmark for student to color. You can cover them with contact paper to make each one really special, after they finish the Arthur Bag.... Include different mask each week and put on a class play at the end of school... You could laminate the mask and put the play on several times so all students get to be a part. Plays are another fun way to read.

http://randomhouse.com/kids/magictreehouse activities to go with Magic School House Books

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

Sep 23, 2005

books

There are sources online for booklists, but I would be sure not to limit this student to decodables! I'd be sure to let the parent know about checking for appropriate level by following the 1 mistake per 20 words rule (1 is ok, 2 is too much)..or the 5 mistakes on a page rule (that means it is too challenging for independent reading. Then I would encourage him to read higher level books aloud to his child! You may also find that the library that he visited has list that would be helpful.
    It sounds like you might want to start participating the in Scholastic books clubs if you are not already (so he can order books and you can earn points toward books for your class).

Pam

13. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Sep 23, 2005

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL SUGGESTIONS!!! :) i actually do use open court reading and would love for you to post that info., if you don't mind. i ended up calling my local library today & i talked to a (very nice) children's librarian (we have no library in our school but i have a small one in our class). she is going to pull books that are appro. for the student's reading level (easy reader) & have the parent just pick them up. the parent was very excited to hear this!! :) thanks again for all your great suggestions!

p.s. i love scholastic too!!!

-meri

14. scarma

scarma New Member

Sep 23, 2005

Hi Meri,

I always recommend the Margaret Hillert books to my parents at the beginning of the year. His library should have tons of these books. The books have controlled vocabulary words (the same sight words used over and over in the story.) My struggling students love these books because they feel successful when reading them.

15. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 23, 2005

Here you go!!!
    • (Being Brave) Brave Harriet by Marissa Moss
    • (Look Who’s Reading) Carlo Likes Reading by Jessica Spanyol
    • (Homes) Castle on Viola Street, A by DyAnne DiSalvo
    • (Homes) Castles, Caves, and Honeycombs by Linda Ashman
    • (Homes) Two Homes by Clair Masurel
    • (Animals) Cat, What Is That? By Tony Johnston
    • (Animals) One Day At A Wood Green Animal Shelter by Patricia
    Casey
    • (Animals) Turtle Splash: Countdown at the pond by Cathryn Falwell
    • (Animals) Sit Truman by Dan Harper
    • (Folk Tales) How Chipmunk Got His Stripes: A Tale of Bragging and
    Teasing by Joseph and James Bruchac
    • (Folk Tales) Mabela the Clever by Margaret Read MacDonald
    • (Journey’s) The Lamp, the Ice and the Boat Called Fish by Jacqueline B Martin

16. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Oct 2, 2005

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU EVERYONE! I LOVE THIS BOARD!! :) -meri