Odd and even

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherchick, Oct 23, 2006.

1. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Oct 23, 2006

How do you teach your std. odd and even? I am trying to think of more creative ways to do it with my 1st graders!

Thanks

3. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

Hi, I only teach odd and even for about 3 to 4 days, but here is kind of what I do.

I have a story book about rollercoasters. I tell the kids that in order for them to ride, they have to have a partner. So, the kids get in groups (after we have read the story) any # of kids can be in their group. Then we sort each group and we count how many kids are in their group. After we count, they all find a partner (within their group) and then we decide if the # is odd or even. Another day we play musical chairs, I teach them an odd and even song to the tune of Old McDonald, and we make up our own numbers (some are quite big, ha ha) and we put them on a chart to show if they are odd or even. Then I do a quick assessment.

That is about it...
    Cari

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 23, 2006

Very similar - use manipulatives. If a number can be split evenly in two groups with no remainders, it is even.

5. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

I do a lot of the same things, but I also have a couple of cute books from scholastic that I use to reinforce the idea. Even Steven and Odd Todd, by Kathryn Cristaldi(There are some other math ideas in the back of this one), and Among the Odds and Evens, by Priscilla Turner.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

Teach them a chant, a cheer, or a song using "2, 4, 6, 8" Then you can teach them that every number that ends in one of these or 0 is even. All others are odd...

Here's one to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star:

2, --4, --6, ---8
    Even numbers sure are great!
    And don't forget that zero, too,
    Does what even numbers do!
    2, --4, --6, --8
    Even numbers sure are great!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2006

Have the kids wear a number. THen the ODD numbers get bandanas to wear around thier heads.

8. lilmscutie03

lilmscutie03 Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

Bears Odd, Bears Even is another really good book. My kids love Even Steven and Odd Todd. I also teach kids to put things into a group of two--if there are any left over it is odd-if there aren't any left over it is even.
    I l ike the partner/rollercoaster idea above!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 23, 2006

Our song is set to the tune of Bing-o.

There was a farmer who had a cow,
    and Even was her name-o,
    0, 2, 4, 6, 8
    0, 2, 4, 6, 8
    0, 2, 4, 6, 8
    and Even was her name-o.

There was a farmer who had a pig,
    and Odd was his name-o,
    1, 3, 5, 7, 9,
    1, 3, 5, 7, 9,
    1, 3, 5, 7, 9,
    and Odd was his name-o.

10. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Oct 24, 2006

I use their shoes because they come in pairs. We call it a "stinky" math lesson. I write a number on the board. We get that many shoes and place them on the floor (we sit in a circle) and determine if each shoe has its partner. If all shoes have a partner the number is even. If one shoe is the "odd man out" the number is odd. We follow up the next day using beans. The kids really understand it.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2006

STINKY MATH ....LMBO!

12. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 24, 2006

Teacherchick,

No great ideas for teaching math. But is that a shiba inu? I have a shiba.

13. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 25, 2006

Last year this went over well with my students. I told them that to have a even number there had to be buddies. If someone was left it, the number was an "odd" ball.

I had the students represent numbers to show the buddy numbers (Even) and the odd ball numbers. Then, I had them make dots for other numbers to see if they were even or odd. This is pretty much done during calendar time.

14. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 25, 2006

I go over this EVERY morning with my second graders. I teach that them if you know that a number from 0-9 is even or odd, you can figure out if ANY number is even or odd, just look in the ones place. Also, use lots of manipulatives... I have dinosaur and pig counters, and I usually pick a kid to model with... I have 3 pigs, can we each have an EVEN amount if we split them?

15. HolliewoodStarr

HolliewoodStarr New Member

Oct 25, 2006

When I was teaching 2nd grade, we did odd and even each morning with our calendar routine. We would add a straw for each day of school and I would ask them if the number of days we had been in school was odd or even. Say we had been in school 7 days, I would ask them, "If there were 7 people playing, could you put them into two equal teams?" I would pick 2 volunteers and hand one straw to Person A, and one straw to Person B, one straw to Person A, one to Person B, until they were all distributed. If they each had the same number of straws, it was an even number. If someone had one more, it was an odd number.

16. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Oct 26, 2006

We also incorporated it into our calendar time. The kids would tell me if the number day was odd or even. I can't explain this so I'll give an example. Say the number day was 5. We would count to 5 using our fingers, alternating hands. So 1 (on left hand), 2 (on right hand), 3 (on left hand), 4 (on right hand), 5 (on left hand). Then we'd "match them up." If there was an "odd-man out," the number was odd. If everyone had a "friend," the number was even. When you get past ten, have them look at the last number only. Even my lowest children got the concept!! It was pretty amazing!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2006

Another way you could incorporate it into calendar time is by using colored jumbo paperclips. Starting with the first day of the month, have the kids pick a color and hang it on a thumb tack. On the second day add the same color to that one. On the 3rd day pick a new color. (ie, there is a new color for every 2 paperclips so you can see them easy and count by twos). Then they can easily say if there is ONE of that color hanging there by itself, it is ODD. If you've placed TWO of that color then it is even. The colors will rotate, but there shouldn't be 3 or 4 of the same color in a row. I hope this is clearer than mud.

18. lilmscutie03

lilmscutie03 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006

GREAT idea. I will try it tomorrow!

19. superdot

superdot Rookie

Oct 31, 2006

Hi. Have a look at my profile and follow my homepage URL. Go the 'Numeracy' section and have look at the Numbers posters. I have had some great feedback about the posters providing a good basis for the introduction of a new topic.

20. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Oct 31, 2006

I use a lot of oral examples and whole group instruction. I like to tell short stories but I always use my kids as the characters. So, I would say something like, "Ms. W and Adam go to the store. Ms. W buys 7 cookies. If she split the cookies between herself and Adam, could they have the same amount of cookies?"
    My kids giggle and laugh because they love to hear the stories about themselves. And they are usually pretty good while I do this because I only use you in an example if you are sitting quietly and paying attention. Then I might ask the kids to give me an example using themselves and a classmate. And they like that because then they get to be creative.