Octo-mom wants $2 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by New3rdTeacher, Feb 15, 2009.

1. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

http://www.examiner.com/x-1320-Moth...Octuplets-mom-selling-her-story-for-2-million

Octuplets’ mom, Nadya Suleman selling her story for $2 million
    13 comments February 2, 4:17 PM
    by Jeana Lee Tahnk, Motherhood Examiner
    « PreviousNext » It looks like Nadya Suleman, the California-based single mom of octuplets is turning her baby-making skills into a business opportunity. The Times of London recently reported that Suleman, 33, is seeking $2 million from media interviews and commercial sponsorship to help pay the cost of raising children.

She has made it known that she intends to speak with both Oprah Winfrey and Diane Sawyer this week, but it is unconfirmed as to whether those interviews will actually take place. As a mom of 14 kids under the age of eight, Suleman considers herself as a ‘childcare expert’ and wants a career in television. She has already been bombarded with offers for book deals and TV shows, and has even hired a publicist. According to FOX News, Suleman retained the Killeen Furtney Group PR firm to handle the myriad offers she is receiving. President Joann Killeen states,
    "[She is] the most sought after mom in the world right now."

There’s no doubt that the world has been raptly tuned in to this story and many will watch her first interview. But how will she be received by the public? Already, scores of harsh criticism has come about in the way in which she has irresponsibly created these lives and moreover, the kinds of lives they will now have.
    There has also been quite a bit of controversy surrounding the implantation of these embryos and why this number was even allowed to happen. Dr. Mousa Shamonki, director of assisted reproduction at UCLA’s medical school tells FOX News,
    "Having eight (embryos) implanted is just absurd. I can't imagine one of my colleagues doing that."
    The reality is that this single mom from a meager background, as reports indicate, is going to need serious financial help to even take care of basics for these 14 children. Although she has made her intentions clear on seeking fame and fortune, she can only hope that the legions of Oprah fans rally to her side. If not, she’s in for a very tough life.

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 15, 2009

She's THE MOST STUPID and IRRESPONSIBLE mom in the world right now. :lol:

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I want 2 million dollars too.

I hope someone gives it to me.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Alice, if you find someone to give you 2 million dollars, can you ask if they'll give some to me too?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Sure. I'm always happy to share with friends.

But I think YOU should ask for your own $2 million.

Hey, I have 3 kids, and you have 2 (right?) Maybe we can find a few other moms, beat out Octomom's number, and split the proceeds???

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Sounds like a plan!! Two of the teachers at school each have 4 kids and another has 5--we're there already!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

Why has the state not stepped in and taken these children from her?

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

And why does the doctor still have his license?

10. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I agree with all of you. With all of the current economic issues, maybe people will step forward and put pressure on the governemnt to put a stop to people who are purposely abusing the system. Some people genuinely deserve help, but this woman is out of control.

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

I hope nobody gives her the 2 million dollars!!! She needs some psychological help!!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

If noone offers her 2 million dollars, I wonder how she is going to afford a tummy tuck, lipo and my goodness how is she going to pay for her lip injections?!:whistle:

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

You can add my three, and my mom currently has two (that could change), so that gives you five more for a total of 10....we're on our way.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

The CA medical board is working on that.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

And, knowing what I do of our own stories, I say we ask for, no,DEMAND, more than 2 million.

I mean, she's basically got ONE story. We have millions!!!

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

Hey, maybe the going rate is 2mill per story....Hey, maybe we CAN get rich from this teaching gig. I'm sure pete has even more stories from his school, plus our own personal stories, and if my mom agrees, she's got gazillions of stories from the foster care system....Hey, this might not be a bad thing ;)

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 15, 2009

Of course she is going to get the 2 million. People want to milk her story whether it is ethical to encourage her or not.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

This media hype does not exist in a vacuum. If it weren't selling newspapers and magazines and advertising space on TV, no one would be paying her a dime.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

I thought I'd read somewhere that her PR firm dropped her because of death threats. That's really sad. No matter what she's done, I don't think it's nearly as bad as people lobbing death threats over it.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 15, 2009

I agree with you on that one mmswm. I also would EXPECT her to ask for money if she landed in a position like that because the bottom line is she still has to find a way to feed them, no matter how irresponsibly they were conceived. I didn't say I would want to give her the money, but I also don't think asking for money or milking money out of it is irresponsible.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Hey, she's not robbing a bank. She's taking the money that others are choosing to give her.

22. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

She wants to be the next Kate Gosselin, and get as lucky. She probably things that since she had more, more attention will be given to her.
    I would never watch ifshe had a show like Jon and Kate, it would only support her maddness.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

Well, she IS going to need help. I pray that somebody out where she is overlooks her faults and helps those kids. If there was some sort of trust fund, administered by a trustworthy person who could garuntee that the money would go only for the care of the children, and there were some rules about how she could NOT get plastic surgery and other non-essentials, I would donate. Right now, I don't feel comfortable in that the money wouldn't go to her and not her children.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

Her PR group (Killeen Furtney Group) dropped her because of all the threats THEY and their other clients were receiving. It was in this morning's paper.

This is the same woman who is obsessed with becoming Angelina Jolie. This woman just wants attention anyway she can get it. I wouldn't be surprised though if the book offers disappeared. Remember when OJ was about to publish that book about how he would have killed Nicole if he actually had done it? That was never published because the public was so completely outraged.

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

I thought I had read that. I find the actions of those making those threats far more horrible than anything this woman has done. She's just insane...the threat makers are evil.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 15, 2009

Mmswm, your quote at the end of your post is hilarious. I shared that with my husband. I think I will email that to my boss. We are being fuloughed by the state. LMBO!

27. Suburban Gal

Feb 15, 2009

Probably because she'd turn around and sue the government.

I think they just started their investigation into the facility and the doctor himself. I think he may ultimately loose it, just not as soon as everyone would like him to lose it.

It's funny you should say that because as I was driving hom from Target last night I told my mom, "God help us all. She wants to be a counselor? I actually think she needs one herself." :lol:

28. Suburban Gal

Feb 15, 2009

So why is the website they made for her still up? :huh:

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Well, I only have one child but I have stories, can I get $2 mil too?

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

I must give credit to my boss. Turns out she really does have a sense of humor. She has it framed and on the door of her office :D

31. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

Well I have 23 kids, 2 of my own and 21 others I take care of Monday through Friday! I have tons of stories to tell. So that is 23 x $2 million =$46 million. Hmmmm...I could live on that.:D

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

lol...that's what we were talking about earlier. As teachers and moms we have TONS of stories.

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

:lol: Emma!

34. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

smalltowngal I'll share:D I think I would have enough after I bought all the goodies I want!