OCR Finding Friends

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mudpie1598, Dec 12, 2006.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 12, 2006

Can I get some examples on the questions and items that you have on your Concept/ Question board for Finding Friends OCR unit?

Thanks! :D

3. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Dec 12, 2006

In my classroom, I have to do a lot of probing to get the students to come up with ideas to place on the concept/question board. Here's some things we talked about:

We did ours during Thanksgiving, so we talked about how Pilgrims and Native Americans were friends. We also use the PeaceBuilders program. A lot of what we wrote had to do with that. If you don't use a program like that, relate it to the rules of the classroom. How do the rules help the students make friends? How do they help the students keep their friends. I mostly wrote about what it feels like not to have friends on the first day and what it feels like when you finally have a friend. I have some shy students, and the non-shy students liked the story, "The Lonely Prince." For some reason, it helped them understand the shy students a little bit more. They like to think of themselves as the boy who made friends with someone who is lonely.

To make the bulletin board, I took pictures of the students while we sang, "The More We Get Together." We sit in a circle to sing the song, and we rest our arms over the shoulders of other students and sway to the song. I printed more than one copy of these pictures, cut around the children so you couldn't see the classroom in the background, and used it as a border. The students LOVED it. That's how they paid attention to it in the first place.

I saw one teacher use peace signs on her board. Another used rainbows. Each concept/question was written on a rainbow...don't know where she got those from!

I hope these give you some ideas. If you are a Yahoo member, there is an AWESOME group called "OpenCourtReadingProgram" that you can become a member. I have only been a member of the group for about 2 months, and I have gotten some great ideas that have changed my reading program from the teachers who post. If you aren't a Yahoo member, you might want to sign up. It's free to get an email address.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2006

You know, I am soooo bad about this whole concept and question board in OCR. I actually struggled to find the time to keep up with it. So what I do is put their work up on the CandQ board that has to do with the theme. So, for friends, I had them write how they help a friend and draw a picture. I also had them write what they like to do with a friend and draw a picture.

I like your idea of taking pictures of kids and using it as a border! What a cute idea and yes, that must really get their attention.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 12, 2006

I also had a really hard time keeping up with the c/g board. It wasn't until I went to the OCR summer institute that I learned the real reason behind it and how it benefits our kids. The purpose is to activate prior knowledge, create a learning community, link the concept to their life, and allow for higher level questioning skills to be modeled. ( Somehow I KNEW all these things, but I had a great presenter who really cememted the whole idea and why it is important) Now I look at it as a way to bring creativity into the reading block. I know one teacher at my school who gives her kids baggies a the beginning of each unit and they have to bring something from home ( a picture, postcard,etc) to add to the board. It has worked out really well. Also, at the end of each story, refer back to the board to update it. After you get into the routine, you're kids will let you know if you forget! Are you Kinder?

6. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Dec 12, 2006

I have always thought of the C and Q board as a reorganized KWL chart, and what you say seems along those lines.

I really, really like that idea about having the students bring something from home to add to the board. That would be less work to try to decorate it or to find meaningful things to put up! The board is really for them, yet we do all the work. I'm going to try that for unit 4 - Wind, after the holidays.