Ocean Theme???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by summersun61, Jun 22, 2009.

1. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Anyone have pictures or ideas on an ocean theme? Do you think this is too young for 4th grade?

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 22, 2009

My 4th graders favorite topic is ocean that the life there in. Not the cartoony stuff---the real pixs.

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I don't think it I'd too young at all. It I'd part of one of the ecosystems that thryveill really have to learn about. You could make it a teaching tool.

5. smb1357

smb1357 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

I have seen a classroom teacher hang nets from the ceiling and fill the nets with different ocean items (shells, plastic fish, etc) and it gave the room a very stimulating effect to the ocean theme. Very cute idea.

6. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Oceans are great for all ages! I teach oceanography in high school so my room definitely has an ocean "theme" to it. :) Sounds like fun!

~Briana~

7. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Ok great thanks! I know most teacher stores carry most of the "primary" looking fish/ocean stuff. Is there a particular teacher supply company online that has the real looking ocean decoratives?

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

I once saw a teacher who took grass skirts, trimmed them and used them as valances in her beach themed room. It was adorable. This is a great time of year to find items for your room. Try party stores.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 22, 2009

And don't underestimate the power of real items. Sometimes even the dollar store has bowls of shells.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

For my AR, the students had to pass 5 books a semester. I put each of their names on a fish and made a bulletin board look like the different levels of the ocean. Each time a student passed they moved up a level. They liked moving their fish and they learned the levels of the ocean at the same time:)

11. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I use an ocean theme too. I am updating a little this year and making it a Luau theme, but still keeping my fish etc. My genre study is called "Which books get you hooked" and has the types of genres on posters, with pictures of snorklers and fish. I used silver pipe cleaners to make a hook coming off of the word hooked. My job chart is called "Sea of Helpers", and I use shells to show their AR points (though I might add the levels of the ocean that was suggested). MY writing center said "Fishing for great stories" and I had story starters listed on crabs, fish etc. Last year for my main bulletin board I had an underwater scene with the Carson Dellosa fish and scuba divers. I used strips of sand paper to be the bottom level. It was really cute. Not sure what I will do this year-something with Luau. By the way, I teach 3rd grade and they LOVE the ocean theme. Have fun.

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 24, 2009

I agree. I found those grass skirts at the Dollar Tree. Wal-Mart has them too but they were way too expensive. Good to keep an eye out for clearance which has already started on summer stuff. Check out Dollar Tree first for they have ocean stuff.

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 24, 2009

I used a couple of real fishnets for a vocabulary (word wall) display; I used silver pipe-cleaners to make hooks for word cards describing the types of words (adjectives, nouns, pronouns, verbs, contractions, ??? not sure words, adverbs, multiple meaning words, etc.) and I put the current unit's vocabulary words under the appropriate category - something like Getting Hooked on Words was my caption. It was really cute. My b'day display was more like a cutesy fish bowl than real fish. But I did use huge bubble wrap to create some bubbles - and that looked neat, too.