Ocean theme lesson plans!!! Please HELP

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by prekate, Aug 18, 2006.

1. prekate

prekate Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone has any ocean lessons that they could share for pre-primary/primary??? I am creating a unit and have about 15, I am totally oceaned out.....if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

3. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

The ocean is one of the few themes that is easy to apply to all senses! Bring in some seaweed, also, have the students make footprints in the sand! You can have them make plaster castings of their footprints, and then have them paint them with glue and cover them with sand. Maybe place some seashells on it too? I subbed for one class that had a large shallow dish with sand in it and water, and by tipping the dish every few moments they can see how the water affects the sand on the beach (kind of). You can teach on ocean life, beach life, and stuff like that...anyway, sounds like fun.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2006

I taught a summer school class on oceans, and we spent a day on whales...we went outside where i had marked off the lenghths of a few different varieties, and they got to see how many students it took to be that long. We also did an experiment to see how whale blubber worked by filling a bucket with ice water, and then placing a ziploc bag full of crisco inside it. After feeling the water, the students put a bag over their hand like a glove, and then stuck it in the crisco to see how it insulated. If I think of any more ideas I will add them later!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 15, 2006

Set up an ocean in your water table--with real sand, rocks, seaweed, etc.

Oceans in a bottle.

6. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Sep 16, 2006

what grade are you doing?

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2006

Pick an neat aquarium for a field trip then prepare for it by doing a research project/poster, etc. You pick the animals you want researched based on the animals actually at the aquarium chosen (but let them draw for the actual animals from the pile you select). We did this, supervised, with a 1st grade class last year (even took them to the computer lab and let them type it up) on zoo animals then we went to the zoo! They also shared what they learned about each animal (front of class speech) before we went. When they got there they were acting like they were experts on their animal. VERY COOL! We also took pictures of each kid with their animal at the zoo then printed and pasted it to a corner of their poster. The posters and papers were displayed in the hall (we have a small class).

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

My son said that next month's edition of the Zoobooks magazine is on porpoises and sea lions (or 2 other marine animals; it's early and I forget!) See if you can get a hold of a copy next month when it's published.

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 22, 2006

I did an ocean in a bag. Get two ziplock baggies( one for each student- have extras on hand- sometimes it gets rough!) one snack size and one sandwich size. In the snack size put sand and shells and rocks- about 2 or 3. In the sandwich bag put about 7-10 scoops of blue hair gel (it is great because although messy the kids love to put it in their hair afterwards! and it smells really good!) in the hair gel put a fishing lure- no HOOKS! I bought a pack of 25 at Wal mart for like $2. I found this plan somewhere but it had the swedish fish- the food- in it and that was disastrous- it bleeds everywhere- yuck! Then get some cool star stickers and put them on the front of the bag for starfish! Then you put the snack baggie inside the water baggie.

I also had a snack- blue jello- had the kids mix it etc- everyone had their own cup and put swedish fish in it- it did not have time to harden into jello by snacktime but they drank it and it was a hit! Another good idea is....
    for a snack to get a pretzel stick and some twizzlers (the stringy ones) and some worms (gummy worms) and some fish (swedish fish) then you go fishing! you have to tie the twizzler to the rod and then tie the worm and the fish. The kids loved it!
    also you can go fishing in the discovery table- fill with water (add blue food coloring?) perhaps some sand and shells and rocks and put some fish and some rods to catch them with! I know they have some plastc fish that have a hole you can catch them using a plastic fishing rod- another good thing is the diving sticks in the shape of fish.
    A good craft to go with Mark Pfister (sp?) Rainbow Fish is the paper plate fish- I use mod podge and tissue paper on a paper plate - cut out the mouth (in triangle shape) and use the cut out shape as the tail staple to back side.
    Along them same lines with the same fish you can do that bubble painting- put the fish over a cup and blow the colorful bubbles on it. I think the mixture is food coloring and dish liquid- then just blow with a straw and put the paper over it and you will get beautiful bubble prints.

I have done all of these with preschool students as well as older kids and they all love it.

Also another overlooked option is picture books with different crabs etc that open discussion to kids experience with crabs. They love to look at the diff crabs and all that.
    I do not know if your class has access to a computer or not but online there is an excellent science site that has an interactive aquarium that is really cool! I cant remember the site though. google it.
    I am obsessed with ocean themes. Most of my online teaching searches are ocean themes- so if these sound familiar I just stole them off line- I do end up changing them as I go on- but they have all worked great with me!