Obtaining A First Year Teaching Job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jenni, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Alright, so I graduated in May. I am 23 and looking for my first Elementary Education teaching job. I have a K-8 general elementary education degree with no extra endorsements. I do not have middle school cert. which limits me to only K-5 in my area. My concentration is in Spanish, all this means is I have 18 credit hours of college level Spanish. I however am not fluent.

With this, I am getting to the point where I am not sure how else to promote myself. So far I have had 3 interviews for 3 different districts. One had a 2nd and 5th opening, one had a position for a 5th-8th Spanish teacher and the other had a 2nd grade gifted position. I have not heard back from any of the interviewers. It's been about 4 weeks from the Spanish position but it is still posted as being needed. The school with the 2nd and 5th said it would be this week before I heard from them and the last I interviewed for today and they said before the end of the week I'd know.

I am not confident I will be getting any of the positions seeing as the district with the 2nd and 5th is really the only one I feel I am even qualified for.

What I did in an effort to find a job, is I applied online for the county I am in. Then I sent 34 cover letters and resumes out to 37 different districts 17 in my county 17 outside. I got several letters back saying they had no openings but would keep me on file. And the 3 calls. What else can I do? I really want to remain no more than an hour from home. How can I find a job in a very competitive area? There are several positions open but I do not seem to be getting as many calls as I’d like. Does anyone have any tips for a frustrated recent graduate? It's August on Wednesday and I am not closer to a job then I was in May.

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

The 34 cover letters and resumes were sent to 37 different districts- did you apply for every single one of those districts? *confused*
    If not, you defiantly should because if they look for you in the system and you are not there, they might not even bother to email you back.

You need to promote yourself by showing whatever certification tests you have taken and passed, where you student taught (or if you are eligible for internship/probationary certificate) and things like that. Show them what you are qualified to do and if you fit what they need then thats good =o)
    Also, do you want to teach/work with Spanish speaking students? Or do you want to use that as a "bonus" feature?

4. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

The Spanish is merely a bonus, I am not competent enough in it yet to do a lot with it. The one position was for an introductory Spanish program. For that I could probably do alright especially if I went back to school and took night courses to learn more Spanish. I meant to have 34 for both numbers. I had messed the math up originally and didn't fix both numbers. 17 of the resumes went to schools covered in my county, so those schools have an online application for me. However, the others are in counties that do not offer online applications. They are to far away for me to drive and get one. Many schools around here allow you to fill out the application at the time of interview or if they decide to hire you. My resume shows that I am certified and my qualifications so it should be enough to get them interested if they're going to be. Many districts around here say if interested in a position to send them a cover letter and resume, and it was recommended I send a bunch out to create interest and let people know I was out there. My county, the one I went to school in and my certification is currently registered with, has 17 districts. Outside of that many of the other districts are so small they aren't quite as formal.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

How about an email to each PRINCIPAL? Forget the applications to the district... get a principal interested in you. That will mean far more than your 34, since each district is bound to have a number of elementary schools.

Also, have you applied to every non-public school? Think Catholic, Jewish, Methodist.... charter, etc.

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Have you personally gone and delivered any resumes? I've heard that Illinois is very competitive and a face with a name makes you stick out.

7. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Would you be willing to say what area in Illinois you are looking? I"ve been searching in IL since March as well, and it is a very saturated market. In the Chicago area and most the suburbs, principals are getting 500 to 1000 resumes on jobs posted on ISBE or in general.

These figures came from administrators I spoke to in Plainfield, Schiller Park, Boilingbrook. I called to ask if they had recieved my information, and they told me they couldn't say because they had hundreds and hundreds of applications to go through. A women I know who works in Yorkville said they posted a job for a 4th grade teacher and two days later had something like 480 applications through online and physical applications.

I think you are so far doing the best you can in this kind of market. Going into the school and e-mailing can help, but it can also get you pegged as irritating.

I have been told that with the market like this in Illinois, the major thing is networking. Then when you score an interview, you have to knock them out. Many people I know are leaving an info page or business card about themselves much like an advertisement.

Good Luck with all this. I am getting my middle level endorsement this summer so it might help next year, and looking out of state.

Maybe you could work on the Spanish as well. Many of the positons I've seen posted request bilungual skills.

8. Lindsey241

Lindsey241 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I would look to see if their are any brand new schools opening up. Sometimes with the craziness of opening a new school school principals wait to hire til the last minute or suddenly another classroom opens up due to enrollment. I know of 2 girls last year who got jobs this way. They hand delivered resume packets to the principals and they interviewed them on the spot. Also, try to think of any one who could put in a good word for you with administrators or pass your resumes along. Unfortunately, it seems it is all about who you know, especially in IL. I'd like to say I got my job for the fall all by myself, but I had a family member who worked for the district and she put a good word in for me which eventually led to an interview. When your fresh out of college you need to network and use every contact you have. Earlier in the summer, I found myself calling friends of friends of friends to see if they could put my info into right hands.
    Good luck and do not give up hope! Good things do happen to good people.

9. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Offer to be a sub. first....get your foot in the door.

10. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am signed up to substitute in my idle district. I also hand delivered resumes to every public school in the same district. Though I had one school tell me they "didn't take resumes this way" and not even take it. The other schools seemed happy to take them. Though I would have liked to actually hand it to a principal I didn't get to for any of them.

I do not have very many connections but I have talked to the few I do have.