Obtain License first?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rtphillips, Feb 28, 2012.

1. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

I currently have a PA teaching license. Due to plethora of teaching candidates in my area, and lack of jobs, I will be venturing south to states like VA, MD, NC, etc. to look for jobs, and one job fair I will be looking into is filled with schools from VA.

Does it help me to seek a VA teaching license through state-reciprocity before meeting with potential schools at this fair, or is it a waste of my time and money?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2012

It is definitely helpful to seek out certification before applying. A potential district is more likely to hire a candidate that has certification over one that doesn't when they have a choice.

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 28, 2012

I know in PA they won't even look at you if you don't have a PA license. I would imagine that it would be the same for other states, as well.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2012

Yes! I learned this the hard way the first time I was job searching. Even in places with better markets, they still have plenty of in-state candidates so they will not bother with someone who doesn't have their license in-hand or at least has a statement of eligibility and proof that they'd applied for the license. Last year one of my friends was looking for sped jobs in NC which notoriously had a much better job market than our state did. She applied all through May and June without a single interview. At one point she even drove something like 15 hours to this job fair in NC, where everyone told her she needed to apply for the license first. She got it by the end of July and literally had over 10 interviews scheduled in the next two weeks. That is when I realized why none of the out of state places were calling me at all! I had previously thought it was a waste to apply for the license if I didn't at least have a lead on a job in that state, but realize now that was one of my biggest mistakes when I was first looking.

For VA, you have to take the VCLA (and possibly the RVE) even if you have state reciprocity- so if you're serious about VA you should sign up for those asap.

6. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

Thanks for the replies. My sister- and brother-in-law got teaching jobs in NC right out of college, and they only had their PA teaching license, so I had assumed that schools in other states didn't really look at that because they took care of it for you once you were committed to their school.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to actually obtain certification in any of the states I'm going to apply to very quickly. But I can start the process, hopefully that helps my chances.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 28, 2012

At the very least, as someone who took her PA license elsewhere, look into what additional requirements other states have. While Ohio has reciprocity, I still had to take the Praxis PLT, which I didn't have to take in PA. It was a major shock, considering I hadn't taken Ed Psych in over a decade.

8. ayla

ayla Companion

Feb 29, 2012

Yes, VA has a ridiculous number of state tests, let alone tests that don't match up (such as a different Praxis II number or something) - the VCLA which is proving you can read, and the VRE which is new (was the VRA) but proves you can teach a kid how to read if you are elem/sp.ed. You should be aware VA has some budget issues this year, they are pushing retirement onto localities which means every district is millions short. Just google and you can see the numbers, 2 million for small counties to 50 million in Chesapeake City Schools.