obsessed with the dollar tree!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by BuLadybug, Aug 9, 2006.

1. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Ok is anyone else outside obsessed with the dollar tree????? So I go there looking for a few things....poster putty and some clear tape (for nametags) and ...........15 minutes later I spend 20 dollars. I just found MORE baskets in primary colors.....heavy duty ones too.....as well as other baskets!!! I feel like I am buying them now just to buy them because I am afraid they will run out. You go in thinking.....well everything is just a dollar - and they pick up sooooooo much stuff!!!!!!!!!! They even have educational posters now.....they are a new addition and books on cd (fairy tales)

Just wondering if anyone else gets consumed by this evil store?!?! haha ;)

3. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Dollar Tree

It's a teacher's best friend......I'm going back tomorrow!!

4. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

funny. i'm the same way. i went in today thinking i just needed red, yellow and green stickers for our AR stuff and i left with spending $15! dang dollar store! lol.

LC

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Whenever you find something there, buy it. Most times you won't find it again. Or if you do it will be at a later time. I bought some baskets for my centers when I first got my job. I kept going back to buy more, but they didn't carry them.

6. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I had to laugh when I read the title of your post!! I can so relate. My problem is that I feel like I need to stop in like every other day to make sure they haven't gotten anything new in. Heaven knows if you miss it--you miss it!! I have the same obsession with Big Lots. My three yr. old daughter is even catching the bug. When we pass Big Lots she says something like "Mommy, do you want to stop and see if there are any new deals?" I guess our obsessions could be worse though!!

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

Ever notice that all Dollar Tree stores smell the same???
    :rolleyes:
    I bought the same plastic bucket/tubs for my class and I'm thinking that I need to get more!!!!:D

8. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

gotta love Big Lots Too! And Deals....I saw some people mentioning that store......I have one near me and love it! Seems like most suggestions are to stock up when I find something I like.......maybe I should make a return trip tomorrow:D :D

just kidding...I wait at least 2 days before going back ;) haha

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Oooooh, I love Big Lots. I got my reading carpet there for $15. And I went to Dollar Tree today even though I was exhausted and my back was killing me.

10. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Love the dollar store!

I love that place too. This year I found all kinds of stuff there, and though I didn't buy any of it (because I didn't need it) I know lots of teachers who did. There were packages of die cuts, alphabets to put up for a word wall, window clings, bathroom passes and hall passes etc.

Last year at the beginning of the year I bought a kind of basket carry all with 3 sized dividers in it and a handle. I only bought 1 thinking it would be handy to keep at my guided reading table. Then I wished I had bought more because I saw that one teacher used them for table things like crayons and scissors and glue carry all when they were doing group or individual projects.

I looked all year at about 10 different dollar stores and dollar trees and Honks stores. Finally, about 4 weeks before school was out, I found more...I bought 10--LOL

Cari

11. Mimi223

Mimi223 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I have been searching all throughout Chicago for those baskets that have the dividers. I saw them very early in the summer and decided not to buy them at that time. I regret it so much.

12. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

They have those at the Learning Tree on the 4500 block of north Ravenswood Ave. on the northside (Chicago) but it is a teacher supply store so you won't get them for a dollar.....I guess it's all about how bad you need them and how much are you willing to spend.

I try to only go there two or three times a year because it's costly but they have all the teacher bulletin board sets, stamps, big jugs of tempera paint, letter sets, .... etc...the place is huge inside .....even if you don't buy, it's a fun place to get ideas.

13. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

We have 2 dollar trees and a $1 shop. I usually go to all three when I am out shopping. If one dollar tree doens't have what I am looking for, then the other one usually does. The $1 shop is a hit or miss, but mine gets in clothing that still has Kohls tags on it. We also had a bunch of kids Lands End shirts a few weeks ago. It helps to no when the know when the new truck is coming. Ours is usually on Tuesday. Almost everything I bought for the new school year came from one of the dollar stores.

14. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I was just at the Dollar Tree this morning looking for baskets that I had seen in some pics that were posted. I couldn't find any in the primary colors I wanted but I still spent like $20 on other stuff...

15. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Dollar Tree is Fabulous! The only problem is that I have one less than a block from my apartment AND it's right next to a Chinese food place and a scrapbook store. By the end of this year I'll be broke, fat, and have a bookshelf full of scrapbooks and stickers. :D :D

16. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

I went in for envelopes today and ending up spending $13!

17. millie93

millie93 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Ann - I was just looking at the Learning Tree website today (my cooperating teacher during S.T. reccommended it)...I noticed how expensive (but nice) everything was. So, then I made my run to the Dollar Tree instead :) When I do go to the Learning Tree I will leave my credit card at home! :angel:

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 10, 2006

Sooazbelle, you made me laugh. Maybe if you walked to the dollar tree, and back, you could still eat at the chinese place! Then you you will just be broke!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

What a great solution, moonbeams! You made me laugh, too, soozabelle. What a riot. Sounds like fun!

20. tward

tward Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

My 13 year old always makes fun of me at Dollar Tree because she says that they hook you in with that Dollar thing and then you go and spend $20.00!:p

21. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

I went today and saw a lot of blank books that can be used for Young Authors. There were also a lot of cute nick nacks to put on our desks.
    I was disappointed that I couln't find any good sized book baskets for library shelves. Every teacher in the area must have bought them already!!!
    They had the clear shoe box sized ones but those aren't big enough to me.
    Oh well!

22. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

I haven't seen the primary colored baskets at one Dollar Tree, but we have another on the other side of town I will go to tomorrow--maybe they have them! And I love Deals and Big Lots too!!