Observed during Centers/Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Oct 23, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

I'm being formally observed tomorrow during literacy centers and guided reading time. Does anyone have advice for observations? I'm extremely nervous about it and typically shy, so being observed by another adult makes me kinda shut down, and I'm trying to push myself not to do so.

We'll just be finishing snack and then going into centers. What do you say exactly to them before they start centers...I want to make sure that my directions are clear, so that I can prevent behavior problems before they start.

I'm a first year teacher and I'm not sure if I am doing things in an effective manner.

I think my biggest fear is not managing centers well enough. I play music when it is time to switch centers, but I feel that things are still chaotic.

:confused:

3. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

Observation

:) What do you normally do during this time?

I would say make sure you are doing all the proper procedures - contact paper them to your table.

Also, for transitions I use windchimes but a lot of teachers use timers (someone always breaks mine). The kids go back to their seats after cleaning up then I send them one group at a time to their next center. I too am a new teacher (this is like my 3rd week with my students) and it is early in the year so I don't just send them to their centers.

Hope this is helpful. :)

4. zplok

zplok Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

I've been teaching for 30 years and have always been told to make it simple. Administrators need to see how you introduce and present the material, do you provide for practice time, are there some type of manipulatives and technology, and how do you bring the lesson to a close.
    Good Luck!! You'll do great!!!
    :)

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 24, 2006

Before I send mine to reading centers, we go over every little thing we're going to do. I make sure that each group knows where they are going first. I use a 1-2-3 cueing system to cut back on the chaos of movement. 1-everyone stand up. 2- push your chairs under and pick up your materials. 3- move to your center. I end each center when my timer goes off. They know that means to freeze. When it's perfectly quiet, then we'll move to the next center, and so on.

6. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom Rookie

Oct 29, 2006

Debbie Diller has a wonderful book on how to establish and maintain successful centers/stations. It's my bible for Literacy Stations.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2006

I agree completely. They're not looking to learn anything from you, merely to see how you interact with the kids. When I was dept chair I was the one doing the observations. You could tell the teachers that the kids really respected; those where the rooms where the kids snapped to attention and nudged each other when I walked in, and didn't say a peep in class. I knew it wasn't normal, but said a lot about the teacher.

Anytime you're being observed, be yourself. Avoid "canned lessons" you get online; they're easy to spot since the teacher is rarely comfortable with them, nor are the kids. And they always make me wonder: exactly what goes on during a normal class that the teacher doesn't want me to see?

How did your observation go?

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2006

I time my centers as well....I find it works best for my class....other teachers dont time centers.....
    Before I start centers I talk about and go over each center, what to do, expectations etc.....We also talk about what the room will look like, sound like etc... What to do if I have a group and they need something etc....You'll do great !