Observations

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by PreKyay, Jul 30, 2008.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Anyone going through an alternative cert route in Texas? :whistle: Well, I just realized that I should have posted a previous question here, instead of in the forum I first posted. So, I'll try again. I will begin training this fall for generalist EC-4. My question is -- do I need to observe in all areas? I have to have at least 20 hours of observation with a "master" teacher in a rural and urban/suburban district. I have tried to contact my advisor through my program. I think she must be on vacation (or I hope). My IFE book does not specify. Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me.

3. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Well...44 views and no replies. I guess either this is not a valid question or no one who viewed is currently or has gone through altern cert. Still haven't heard back from my advisor yet. I'll keep checking in, though.:(

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

I didn't go through an alt. cert. program, but I would think that as long as you're observing in rural or urban areas (usually an economically-disadvantaged area), then you'll be just fine.

Oh, your first post was in the late evening so I don't think it's that no one has an answer or their alt. cert. experiences to share. Wait until tomorrow and I'm sure you'll get more replies.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

Usually it doesn't matter what specific grade you observe. However, it would really just depend on your program and we just can't answer that for you. My own personal feeling is that it would be great to see as many classes and grades in as many different schools as possible. I have been in schools where 4th grade looks like most second grade classes and that is a real eye-opener!

6. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I really do need to make contact with my advisor. I truly hope that she is on vacation (which is very possible) and that this is not a sign of things to come as far as communication goes. I am going to call again Monday and if I don't get her I will move on to another person for help. Thanks, again for the encouraging words.