Observations question....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2021

When school started, the P said that teachers will have 1 announced and 1 unannounced observation. In the P's office around October, my name was listed on his board under "observations to be done." But no observation ever happened. I didn't say anything to the P about it figuring he was busy or forgot or something.... But, when we came back in January, the list on his board was erased. He hasn't mentioned anything to me and I haven't asked. So, what could that mean? Can a principal actually say, "forget it..." when it comes to observations?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 4, 2021

I've definitely had instances where my principal wrote up an "observation" that wasn't officially an observation. Not that she made it up exactly, but more that... it didn't quite happen as an official evaluation or observation.

I think it also depends on how much experience you have. After the first few years, my P and AP have gotten much more relaxed about whether they actually observed me as much as they were supposed to.

Did your P do any walkthroughs or short unofficial observations of your class? One of my observations this year was written up from a "walkthrough" (we were remote) because evaluations were due and I was one short. AP didn't realize(?) we still needed another one before I went on leave, so she called and said she was going to use the walkthrough as my last observation for my eval.

Backroads likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 4, 2021

All of our observations are suspended until further notice so your P might have either pushed them until the end of the year or making some other arrangements with one teacher at a time. There's a chance he forgot I guess. Can you ask other teachers if they have had them?

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 5, 2021

If you have a union and a contract, the evaluation process should be clearly spelled out; it is not ok (in my opinion), for principals to make up the procedures as they go along.

MrTempest likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 5, 2021

Has there been any other mention of observations on the part of your administration, either to you or your entire staff?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Aces

Aces Devotee

Mar 6, 2021

Depending on their comfort level with you, an observation could have been simply looking through the window while you taught. There’s a lot of ways to observe a teacher without announcing “hey I’m watching you”.

8. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 7, 2021

What it means is you should ask. When you see (or hear) something that seems confusing go to the source to straighten in out. In my district two observations per year are required during a teacher’s initial two-year probationary period. After probationary period observations are rotated every other year = one year on one year off. Sometimes observation dates and times are changed due to schedule mishaps, but I don’t recall a principal taking the stance to forget it.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 8, 2021

I’ve definitely had principals at my school “forget it”. I don’t know if it’s intentional or unintentional. Most likely with what I’ve observed, it’s a case of a principal mistakenly thinking someone like a vice principal or other supervisor will take care of it, and then no one following up to see if it happened, or the person who is supposed to be doing the observation never being told by the principal to do so. This type of assumption/disorganization takes place often in my school system.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2021

I had it happen 2x in my career. Both times, the P was busy. Both times, he just marked down the + stuff they had commented on during a walk through. Also, the P knew me well enough to know what I was doing or had done. It wasn't like he told me to "forget about it." He just gave it to me and asked if I had any questions.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 12, 2021

My first year of teaching I got all 4’s (perfect) after a maybe ten minute observation. I was flattered but also knew it was not an objective view of my skills. The principal only wanted to check it off his list. The meeting for it was something like, “Great job. Any questions?”

I’m a much better teacher now, and get excellent observation scores generally, but still have never gotten all perfect marks as it’s not something my current admin would probably ever do. That’s why I think observations are completely biased. It depends on who’s observing, their opinion of you, and their philosophy around scoring.