Observation with my DIFFICULT class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Alaskanteach, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 1, 2006

Ok, I have my observations coming up.. with a difficult class (behavior wise).. Thankfully it is a fairly short class period, and it isn't my WORST class, but still.. they like to get each other's IRE..

Any tips?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 1, 2006

What subject(s) do you teach?

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 1, 2006

English

5. Stooty

Stooty Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

Keep in mind, I am in college for secondary education, and not actually teaching yet, but I recall in my jr. high, and some highschool classes that fit the bill, the teacher would come up with a creative seating arrangement that made socializing difficult. I don't mean moving students, but rearranging the desks.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2006

Sometimes the kids will surprise you and rise to the occasion.

They don't mind giving you a hard time, but they're loyal; no one ELSE is going to give you a hard time!

Beyond that, try to keep transitions to a minimum and teach right up to the bell. Busy kids are less apt to get into trouble.

7. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 2, 2006

Stooty- I have been doing that ALL year.. to no avail.

Aliceacc, you crack me up! that loyalty thing is too true.. I told them we would have a "visitor" but I didn't tell them why... they sure looked concerned, and finally one asked me if I got in any trouble! (Um, NO...) It was pretty funny.

8. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

Do whatever you can to relate the material to the kids and their lives; that way they're more likely to be engaged.

9. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Dec 7, 2006

Now for some REAL advise from someone who has BEEN THERE. You always tell them ahead of time when the visitation will happen and stress that the visitor has come to watch THEM. You might even elaborate and mention that you're not sure, but this person (administrator) may even be taking notes and making decisions on their class placement for NEXT year.

Then you BRIBE them. If they do well, they earn something that is important to them. They are NOT to mention this during the observation or it is null and void.

It works. Good luck and please report back.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2006

Nah, I'm not fond of lying to them. One, someone will always squeal, then the administrator wonders what you're trying to cover up. Two, once they realize you're lying (and they will), your credibility is shot.

When I was department chair I observed a huge range of classes-- good, bad and ugly. I knew that some of the kids were putting on a show, for better or worse, because I was there. I also knew the school troublemakers, and normally had a pretty good read on what to expect from them.

I vote for a little trust in the kids and yourself.

11. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 9, 2006

I thought it went pretty well. The kids got interested in teh first part, the instruction ran a little long, and then they had a worksheet to practice on.

A couple of kids kind or RAN with responses.. One kid I kicked out, and a couple weren't paying very close attention BUT...

they were 500X better behaved than usual.

Unfortunately, the administrator did not see it that way and is considering either an improvement plan for me or another observation.

I am really angry. He said I was too NICE. Me, Yeah right. My point to him, was why punish the class when they are so much better behaved than usual?