Observation teaching graphs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mama P, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I am being formally observed Thursday during math. We are studying graphs this week and it should be review that day but I want to teach a graph with hands on for the kids. Any ideas with a graph, I can't use m&m's or any candy. Any ideas?

3. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I'm not sure what grade you teach, but if it's younger kids (K, 1, maybe even 2) you could use cereal (Froot Loops, different kinds of Chex, etc.) and graph by color or since it's close to Halloween you could get those cheapy bags of little Halloween erasers or spider rings or what not and graph by style, color, size, or whatever.

4. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I forgot to mention, I teach 2nd grade!

5. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Oct 24, 2006

I bought a cheap plastic shower curtain at the Dollar Tree and sectioned it off with tape like a bar/pictograph. We took a survey of their favorite food or animal. The students were able to sit around the graph and place pieces of construction paper to make the graph.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 24, 2006

My 2nd loved to graph how many pockets they were wearing that particular day. This idea came from our math series, but they all had "pocket day sheets" in their "keep at school in your desk" folder. About once a month, we'd "randomly" decide it was pocket day, so we'd ask the kids to count up how many pockets they have. Could you give each kid enough Unifix cubes to equal their number of pockets?

We liked to find the TOTAL number of pockets, as well as which table group (or row, or whatever) had the most/least. We also used it as prediction... were there more pockets this time or last time? When do you think we'll have morep ockets... now, or in the winter? etc.