Observation Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Apr 16, 2019

I work at a small school and this is my second year. From my understanding when I was hired and from a chart given to teachers the beginning of this year, I am supposed to be formally evaluated my first two years. We have a new principal and a lot of turnover at our school. I have not had an informal evaluation nor email scheduling a formal one. The math teacher who is new this year had his informal a few weeks back and formal request to schedule this week. Here’s my question: if I am supposed to be evaluated but am not, does this impact me or my record negatively? Of course evals are not our favorite, but should I be talking to my principal about this or is it on them to know this and follow through?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 16, 2019

Our union tells us we should never have to spend our time making sure the admin does their job. If they don't come and observe, that's their problem. Further, in our school, observations are supposed to occur by a certain date. If they try to come after the date, and they give you a bad observation, you would have an easy time appealing it. Not sure how strong the union is where you are, but I wouldn't worry about it.

readingrules12, czacza and Missy like this.
  4. Teacherb

Teacherb New Member

Apr 17, 2019

I also have a union at my school and have run into the same problem. Like what TrademarkTer said, it is not my job to make sure admin does there's. You should not worry yourself about making sure they evaluate you, just like they should not worry themselves about you teaching your classes. They expect you to do your job, you expect them to do there's. Just do your job and let it be on them. One year at my school when we had a bad problem with the admin not doing their evaluations correctly and timely, we filed a grievance and got the evals thrown out. So if you have a union and you are worried you could talk to your rep.

If you are worried about it effecting you negatively at your school, it won't--evals are totally on them.

If you are worried about what other schools think for future applications, I would not be concerned at all. Having applied to hundreds of schools, I have only had one that requested evals. Most schools don't care about that, they will check your references instead.

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 17, 2019

I wouldn't worry about it. I have wondered the same thing this year... but I am just going to chill and not have an observation lol. I don't think I am supposed to have one but I sometimes second guess it, not sure why.

6. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Apr 18, 2019

Thank you, that helps relieve me! The only catch I thought of was a pay incentive that was introduced this year where teachers that took less than 3 days out of their sick and personal days and were considered “highly effective” could glean additional $. I was told by last years principal that I almost made the highly effective classification, so could miss out on this if I am passing that goal this year. Honestly, I don’t think the effort is worth the money though!