Observation/Evaluation Today

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

Think positive thoughts for me this afternoon--my principal is in to observe/evaluate me while I teach my Grade 7/8 English class. No dog-and-pony show; the students are working on narrative writing so today we are doing a mini-lesson on leads and then the remainder of the period will be spend with peer conferences, conferences with me, revisions and (for some) frantically trying to finish writing their first draft. Nothing fancy or special, just what we would be doing today if she wasn't coming in. I'm hoping that she'll wander around, talk to the kids about their work, but I doubt that (she doesn't interact with students much). I'm hoping that she focuses on the big picture and doesn't get caught up on whether or not I'm following the plan I gave her exactly. I also hope that "that kid" who has a comment for everything can keep himself somewhat contained today--I can deal easily with his comments (which are often hilarious) but she won't be impressed. I also realized yesterday, while meeting with her about today, that this will be the first time in the five years she has been at the school that she has seen me teach.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

Wow! Good luck with that! I hope that everything goes well.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2011

You'll do splendidly, I'm sure, MrsC - but at least some aspects of this are clearly squirm-inducing. She's truly not been in your classroom for five years??

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

Sounds like she hasn't been doing her job if she hasn't been in your classroom in 5 years.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

Good luck today MrsC! I know you'll do great!

And I can't believe that she hasn't seen you teach in 5 years.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 9, 2011

Wow! 5 years! Holy smokes!
    I bet you will do fabulous! Good luck!

8. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 9, 2011

Good luck. I hope you have a great day!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

Things went smoothly. The kids responded well to the lesson, but stayed true to themselves--they were funny and animated. At one point, one of the boys called me over and asked, "What's Mrs Principal doing here? She's making me nervous!" I have my de-briefing meeting after school tomorrow, but she buzzed in to my office a few minutes ago to thank me for a great afternoon.

10. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2011

Sounds like it went great!!!! Of course I knew it would!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

I glad things went great! I hope she has many glowing things to share at the de-briefing meeting.

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

Glad it went well, MrsC!

13. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

Mrs C I wished I lived closer to you! You sound like an amazing writing teacher I would love to observe!!

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 10, 2011

Sounds positive! :)

Mine was scheduled for last week, but we were closed due to snow. My P told me she knows she needs to reschedule me, and I said "I know, I figured you'd let me know when it works in to your schedule."

I haven't heard back from her yet, but I think she has until the end of March or something like that.

15. smalltowngal

Feb 10, 2011

I'm supposed to have mine soon. Contracts go out next month, but I don't know when he'll have time to do it! :eek:

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

De-brief meeting went well; in fact she was very flattering! She commented on my interaction with the students which made me very happy as my relationship with my students is something I am very proud of. Other comments: I'm providing the students with valuable, authentic learning experiences; there was a "buzz" in the room from the conversations the students were having; I provide an environment where the students are willing to take risks. I have a few more bits of paperwork to submit to her (which I need to pull together this weekend), and we'll have a further discussion in a couple of weeks to discuss my professional learning goals.

Enough tooting my own horn--we all need to take pride in what we do each and every day for our students. Good luck to all who have their observations/evaluations upcoming.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

MrsC, I'm glad that it went so well!

18. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Feb 11, 2011

Mrs C I'm glad it went well. My P evaluated me about 4 months ago and still hasn't done my debrief!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2011

Congratulations on a fabulous observation! You definitely are a wonderful teacher, and your students are greatly benefiting as a result. I am glad that was recognized.