Observation Disaster

Discussion in 'High School' started by sumnerfan, Mar 28, 2008.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

I am so upset and disheartened. I found out yesterday that I was to be observed today during my third block. No big deal, they are a pretty good class and I have my plans ready. Well today my kids were late and they didn't come to class prepared with pencils and paper but I tried to work past it. I fussed a bit asking one of them what classes he had before this one implying "Don't you need a pencil for your other classes?" but of course he said he lost it.

It's a split class so after lunch, as soon as the bell rings, one student who has already told me he's probably going to be sent off because he broke into another school and did damage askes to go the restroom. I tell him he will have to wait. He says he cannot wait but sits down and continues mouthing saying "I'll go in the [trash] can if I have to, just watch me." So I let him go to the bathroom even though he just got back from lunch and had an opportunity then. Then a girl busts out with "Kris has a ketchup packet that he's going to bust and I don't want it on me." Of course Kris begins to loudly deny the accusation so I have to go back there and take the ketchup packet from Kris. Then we finally can begin class.

I was so embarressed. I haven't had anything like that happen in this class and honestly don't know where this is coming from. I am so angry and upset and I just don't know what to do and I'm not seeing any silver lining here. The worst part is this it's my tenure year and the vote is about one wek away. Is there any way to do damage control here?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

All I can suggest is going to your principal and explain it is was unusual for the class to behave that way. Ask for a re-observation. Then make sure every single lesson plan until the principal shows up is top notch.

Good luck, my first observation this year was a disaster. I am still dealing with the fall out. I wish you the best

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

Who was observing you? Have ideas ready on how you would handle the situation differently. I am kind of shocked a class would act this way with the Principal, or ass. Principal in the room.

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

a redo is out of the question, the board meets to vote on tenure next week.

the special ed coordinator was observing me, the only thing I can think that I would have done differently was let him go sooner but that doesn't address the root of the problem. I honestly don't know what would have been the correct way to handle this situation. I don't know what was wrong with the kids they don't normally act that way. Spring fever maybe???

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

I wouldn't have let him go the bathroom. Than with the threat I would have sent him to who ever does discipline or written him up how ever your school works.
    The girl calling out and the ketchup boy arguing would have to serve a detention. But maybe your special ed director will think you handled it fine.
    When do you meet with him/her to go over the observation?

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

I would go and talk to the Special Ed Coordinator. I think it's natural to pick apart an observation and think about all of the things that went wrong. I'm sure that after the drama was taken care of there were lots of good things about your lesson. Talking to the Special Ed Coordinator might help you see the silver lining.

8. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

I don't have the power to hand out detentions and I don't think my admin would have supported me if I had sent the boy to the office. I'm sure, well I hope that the disruption is not the end of the world but it just makes me so mad because it is the absolute worst observation I have had in my three years.

I'm not sure when we will meet. I have to fill out my reflection and I have no idea what to say except I am shocked and amazed about the behavior and that it was completely out of character for the class. It's like you think you've got everything figured out and then the kids throw you a curve ball and you realize you really have no clue what you are doing or what qualifies you to be in charge of a group of 15 year olds. School doesn't prepare you for this. They don't run you through difficult situations with kids, tell you that your admin is more worried about who reads their email than how their teachers are treated and that teaching is a thankless job.

Sorry to vent but I'm just totally frustrated.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

How did the rest of the lesson go after all the interruptions? I'm guessing that the special ed. coordinator knows that students are unpredictable, and even your best can be at their worst sometimes---and if this is your worst observation in 3 years, I'm sure they know that you are a good teacher and this was just a bad situation! Good luck!

10. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

Why don't you have the power to hand out detentions? What happens normally when kids misbehave?

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

That's was my question also. :confused:

12. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Mar 30, 2008

How is it your fault if two kids act like idiots when they have a new audience? You can't muzzle them ... even if it is tempting.:lol:

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 30, 2008

I agree, this does not seem to be that bad. After three awesome years I am sure they will understand- good luck!

14. Camel

Camel Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I don't think you have any reason to worry, as long as the lesson went well after you handled all the disruptions. The kids coming late and not being prepared wasn't anything you could have stopped, and the things you could take care of, you did so quickly and with a minimum of fuss. I mean, it would have been a lot worse if Kris would have actually gotten ketchup all over the place, right? :)

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

During my observation, during math class, I actually had one student ask for paper work while I was doing my lesson using manipulatives and learning games. I also had one that constantly wanted to interrupt me to tell me what time it was (I had just finished my Telling Time Unit a week earlier). I was embarrassed by their behavior, but my principal loved my lesson.

16. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 31, 2008

At my school the teachers can't give detentions or pretty much anything, if a student misbehaves we ahve to 1)call the parent and 2) send them to the office with a referral and let the AP handle it. That's a big part of the problem. If a student misbehaves they know that the teacher basicaly has no power. I hate it.

Thanks so much for the kind words of support. I turned in my reflection so now it's out of my hands. We will just have to wait and see. I'm so happy I found this forum and can bounce ideas off of other teachers. :eek:

17. norrinrad

norrinrad New Member

Apr 1, 2008

So you can't give out detentions, and they wouldn't support you if you sent kids to the office? Sounds like they're handicapping you, making your threats pretty empty.

Also, on the topic of the disruption, I think every administrator knows that there are bad days. I think as long as they aren't an insanely unreasonable person, you'll be just fine. You may want to mention that that is not what your class is like every day, just to make sure.

18. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

My admin says I should do other things to discipline my kids but for the life of me, I don't know what they would be. I try to use seating charts, hold them 1-2 minutes after class, keep them out of pep rallies, anything but that just doesn't help with the real discipline problems. I also rely heavily on the fact that I am a genuinely nice person to help control the kids (the whole if you respect me I'll respect you thing). If I send them you just never know what they will get. I've had a student late to class nine times and all he has gotten is after school detention. Although the last referral did say if he was late again he would be suspended.

As for my post observation notes, they were much more positive than I expected. You all were correct in saying that the observer wouldn't hold me responsible for a student's bad behavior. I think I'm just super stressed because I have tenure review coming up as well as my master's thesis, car troubles, plus all those little things in life that just seem to pile up on you. I'm just very stressed and not dealing with it well. I'll feel better next week when I know I have a job next year---even though I would really like a different job at a different school.

19. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

Well, I don't have to wait until next week. I got informed yesterday I would not be recommended to tenure. So now I have no job.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 5, 2008

I am sorry to hear this :hugs:. Did you get a reason as to why you were not offered tenure? Do you think they will write you a positive reference letter?

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 5, 2008

Sorry to hear you don't have a job for next year. I at this point don't have one either. I have to reapply to my position but they won't know if my position will be available until after the budget vote on May 15. I can't wait that long so I'm starting to apply for jobs now.

22. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2008

I am so sorry to hear that. What a shame, adn with all those years of good reveiws!

Have you talked to your union to get any advice? Is it possible to keep working there one more year without tenure, trying to earn it?

Sorry :sorry:

23. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

I asked the principal if I definitely would not have a job there next year and he said yes. I'm just going to move on. My plan was never to stay there forever. I'm just upset the way things went down. I wish I had followed my gut and left last year.