Observation and assessment

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacherstuff1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. teacherstuff1

teacherstuff1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

I am presenting a workshop soon on observation/assessment in the preschool setting. I am collecting examples of ways teachers keep track and record their observations. Never seems to be enough time once you observe to the recording/tracking part of assessment. Does anyone have a system that works for them? Thanks!

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 10, 2009

I write my notes on Post-Its that I keep in my apron. We currently use a computer program for our assessments so I just transfer my notes to the computer. In the past, I had a laminated file folder for each student. The folder contained a paper with the names of the six categories we observed the children in. After I wrote an anecdotal note on the Post-It I would put it in the child's folder under the observed category.

4. teacherstuff1

teacherstuff1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

Thanks Eduk8 Me. Post-Its are easy to work with. The computer program sounds interesting. We use a skills checklist & anecdotal notebook.

5. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jan 10, 2009

We use Creative Curriculum. We write our observations on sticky notes and on daily reports, then we transfer them to cc.net.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

In Creative Curriculum, you observe in 4 areas, so we had a paper with four boxes to post the post it notes. That way, each day, the observations were sorted and ready to process.

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 11, 2009

one thing i do is i make an "I know my" bulletin board a the geinning of the year and it has different labels on it like name address phone number abcs, # 1-10, left/right tie shoes etc. When we go over things at circle time or whatever and a ch ild repeatedly is able to do it then I write theri name on the bulletin board under the label. that way a glance at the board tells me who can do what. For other things it's mostly being aware of behaviours and such from interacting with the children every day. We are required to do observaton reports in Oct and march and full evaluations in Jan and June--- I have evaluation test sheets that I have to fill out and some of the things I actually ahve to test them on (letter/nuber recognition, etc) and soem of it is based on observing them all the time. It looks similar to a elemntary schooll report card. It is full page and is 9 pages long, then has a place for comments. I include a coloring paper, math and writing activity along withit.

8. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

I keep a clip board in each of the learning centers, so that when I see something I want to write down, there is a clipboard right there.

At the end of the week I compile the notes into the correct files.