Obnoxious Student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherforlife, Sep 27, 2008.

1. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

Need some help folks. I have a student who is the most obnoxious pest I believe I have had in years.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2008

Is there a school counselor? Our counselor takes small groups of children to work on social skills.

Of course, she is reaping natural consequences by the other students not wanting to be with her. As for the tattling, I usually ask students why they are telling me when they need to be talking to the other student. I help them with some suggestons of words they can use if necessary.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

When I taught this one kinder class two years ago, tattling was an all time favorite past time with them. I brought in a bear that they could tattle to. Of course, I told them if this wasn't about blood, barfing, bathroom issue, or bullying (four Bs), then tell it to the bear. Can you do that with this girl, then that's one thing less for you to worry about. I would then also contact the school counsler. It sounds like this girl needs some help. What is home life like? Maybe there is something going on at home that is causing her to act like this. Have you talked to her parents yet?

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 28, 2008

Sometimes that is a sign of something else that is going on (think diagnosis).

This requires careful documentation, involvement by the school counselor and careful consideration.

Sometimes it is how the kid was raised.

This requires some classroom training (ie, social training). This will be a year long battle. She needs to be taught how to deal with things. Involve the counselor.

Sometimes it is their personality.

Copy the previous solutions and bless the parents.

Sometimes it is low self-esteem.

Kindness, kindness, kindness and teach her some social stuff.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 28, 2008

This is what I do too in regards to annoying students. When they enter my room I force myself to smile and pretend I'm thrilled they're in my class. I can't go through the full 80 minute block admitting to myself how much I don't want them to be there, so I pretend the exact opposite. It doesn't always work, but does help a bit.

As far as the OP's particular student, I agree that having her meet with a counselor to work on social skills is a very good idea.

7. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

Student

Thank you everyone for your suggetions. I was having a bad day yesterday I guess and needed to vent. I love all my students and I do just what one of you suggested. I really try to be patient with her. It is just that sometimes it gets tiresome. Feel much better today. Thanks again.